FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Canadian people buying US air FF miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1226023-canadian-people-buying-us-air-ff-miles.html)

danlauz Jun 14, 2011 6:28 am

Canadian people buying US air FF miles

I plan to buy 50000 miles because of the 100% bonus miles. they indicate that they will charge GST extra. does anybody did purshased miles to see if, the GST is extra to the 7.5% US tax or, its 1 or the other. thanks

nabeelj Jun 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by danlauz (Post 16557831)
I plan to buy 50000 miles because of the 100% bonus miles. they indicate that they will charge GST extra. does anybody did purshased miles to see if, the GST is extra to the 7.5% US tax or, its 1 or the other. thanks

It's extra, both 7.5% and 13% are charged on the base purchase amount.

An easy way to avoid this, which is what I have done in the past, is to use a US-based credit card. If you don't have one, ask your Canadian issuer if they can put a temporary US billing address on the card or use one belonging to a US friend.

thaidai Jun 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Would a UK CC work?

i to was thinking of buying 50,000 miles+bonus 50,000 just 20,000 short of Biz class award N America to Asia for $$ but 7.5%+13%:td::td: no US CC avl But got UK so can do? Happy New US Airways member:D

danlauz Jun 14, 2011 2:45 pm

they will charge the GST based on the adress of the credit card or the adress indicated on the adress we registered our FF program ?. if its the credit card adress, I will pass.

nabeelj Jun 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by danlauz (Post 16560772)
they will charge the GST based on the adress of the credit card or the adress indicated on the adress we registered our FF program ?. if its the credit card adress, I will pass.

CC address.

Edited to explain: it's points.com charging the GST/HST, since they're based in Toronto.

nabeelj Jun 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by thaidai (Post 16560697)
i to was thinking of buying 50,000 miles+bonus 50,000 just 20,000 short of Biz class award N America to Asia for $$ but 7.5%+13%:td::td: no US CC avl But got UK so can do? Happy New US Airways member:D

Yes, UK CC would avoid the GST/HST.

Sign up for the Canadian SPG Amex, get 20K SPG -> 25K US to get the last little bit. Or buy it using another US account then share it to your primary US account.

danlauz Jun 15, 2011 8:54 am

20K FF from SPG to US air accounts means 25K. ok. does the 100% promo also apply to theses transfer from SPG ? I suppose the answer is no and, we have to BUY the miles from the US air web site ?

nabeelj Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by danlauz (Post 16565126)
20K FF from SPG to US air accounts means 25K. ok. does the 100% promo also apply to theses transfer from SPG ? I suppose the answer is no and, we have to BUY the miles from the US air web site ?

Who said anything about the 100% promo applying to SPG? I was commenting on the person who said, after buying 50K + 50K bonus, he would still need a little bit to get the award he wanted.

Coolers Jun 15, 2011 10:30 am

Try processing the mile purchase using your Canadian credit card but enter a US billing address. For example, if you reside at:

Address: 123 Main St
City: Toronto
Province: Ontario
Postal: A1A 2B2

try entering the following:

Address 1: 123 Main St
Address 2: A1A 2B2
City: Toronto Ontario
State: CA
Zip: 00000

Just play around with it until the system accepts it as a valid address. Alternatively, just input any legitimate US address. Many credit card companies will accept the charge despite the billing address discrepancy.

Listed from most indifferent to strictest, in my experience, is Citibank, MBNA, RBC, and then TD.

Good luck.

muj334 Jun 15, 2011 9:17 pm

@ coolers, i tried this with amex, didnt work but worked easily with cibc mastercard. Thanks

Coolers Jun 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by muj334 (Post 16569320)
@ coolers, i tried this with amex, didnt work but worked easily with cibc mastercard. Thanks

Glad it worked out for you. Now that I think about it, each person whom my trick helps saves $190 ^

thaidai Jun 16, 2011 6:18 am

Thanks, 120,000mls biz to Asia this route do-able?

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 16560934)
Yes, UK CC would avoid the GST/HST.

Sign up for the Canadian SPG Amex, get 20K SPG -> 25K US to get the last little bit. Or buy it using another US account then share it to your primary US account.

Now in past lucky enough to book 3x2 1st class(120,000mls each) rtn to asia with stops overs in europe with Aeroplan ie. YYZ-YUL-ZRH-MAN s/o MAN-FRA -CDG- BKK -HKT turn HKT-BKK-MUC s/o MUC-YUL-YYZ. Any US air FTers know if this would be bookable in Biz for 120,000mls?

thaidai Jun 16, 2011 9:37 am

Got the answer from ThePiontsGuy

Originally Posted by thaidai (Post 16570787)
Now in past lucky enough to book 3x2 1st class(120,000mls each) rtn to asia with stops overs in europe with Aeroplan ie. YYZ-YUL-ZRH-MAN s/o MAN-FRA -CDG- BKK -HKT turn HKT-BKK-MUC s/o MUC-YUL-YYZ. Any US air FTers know if this would be bookable in Biz for 120,000mls?

TPG just sent out email on mazimizing stop/overs ect on USairway awards So now to buy the pionts n apply for SPG AMEX..:D

nabeelj Jun 16, 2011 10:14 am

Originally Posted by thaidai (Post 16571887)
TPG just sent out email on mazimizing stop/overs ect on USairway awards So now to buy the pionts n apply for SPG AMEX..:D

Keep in mind the Canadian SPG Amex has a referral bonus for existing SPG Amex cardholders, and the applicant still gets the same 20K bonus. So might as well throw one of your friends (or FT friends) some points.