Wiki Posts
Search

Beware award redemption on Air Canada!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
Beware award redemption on Air Canada!

In February, I booked 6 LAX-CPH tickets using DM's on Air Canada. In April, I checked the booking on the AC website and found the return date to be changed on one of the return segments by 2 days. I called AC, and they said they had sent notice to US of a "schedule change." Apparently, if the flight details change by 5 minutes, AC takes the opportunity to put you on a completely different flight!! Fortunately, US agents were able to convince inventory to open up flights on US metal from Frankfurt.

Then, last night, just 7 days before our outbound flight, I checked the AC website again. This time, the outbound flight was changed from LAX to Toronto, same date, but arriving into Toronto AFTER the leg to CPH would have already departed. Again, US had no idea why they would completely knock us off our flight for an apparent "schedule change."

Unbelievably, the US agent found 6 tickets on LH from LAX-MUC with a connection into CPH the same day as my originally scheduled outbound flight.

I am flabbergasted that AC can change an itinerary at will. If I hadn't checked the AC website, I would be trying to check in this Saturday with a completely messed up schedule. Has anyone else had a problem like this with AC? The US agent said she had never seen this before.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:18 pm

There are some accounts in the AC forum of the capricious nature of the AC "auto-rebooking" gods.

I too have had odd things happen to my itineraries in the event of schedule changes, with wild new flight combinations being assigned when far more sensible solutions were available.

Glad US was able to sort you out!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TRAVELBABE
I am flabbergasted that AC can change an itinerary at will. If I hadn't checked the AC website, I would be trying to check in this Saturday with a completely messed up schedule. Has anyone else had a problem like this with AC? The US agent said she had never seen this before.
The party who 'sold' you your tickets is responsible for notification of schedule changes to you, be that Orbitz, an old-school travel agent, or US Airways. That's the industry convention. Perversions in auto-rebooking happen a hundred times a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.