Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor First Class Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Poor First Class Experience

I always fly on coach for either work or pleasure, so after accumulating a fair number of miles, I finally decided to cash them in for a first class ticket on US Air.

For using up double miles, I did not receive a meal (just a snack both ways), received one drink going one way and one going the other, had a seat on the way back that was partially broken, and found the staff to be mostly interested in chatting and not checking on the flyers.

This was the first time that I had decided to fly first class. Is this typical? Are other airlines like this?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by charlesbell74
I always fly on coach for either work or pleasure, so after accumulating a fair number of miles, I finally decided to cash them in for a first class ticket on US Air.

For using up double miles, I did not receive a meal (just a snack both ways), received one drink going one way and one going the other, had a seat on the way back that was partially broken, and found the staff to be mostly interested in chatting and not checking on the flyers.

This was the first time that I had decided to fly first class. Is this typical? Are other airlines like this?
You don't mention the route. Few airlines offer more than snacks in F, except on extended routes. Some snacks are better than others, but you didn't mention what you were served. One drink, in my opinion, is inexcusable, even on a 1-hour flight. Did you ask for another? Good FAs will keep an eye on you and, if your drink is empty, offer another. However, I've never been on a flight where a request to the FA for another drink was refused. As for the broken seat, it depends on what was wrong with it. If it was something relatively serious, e.g. it wouldn't recline, that's worth a complaint to US with a request for compensation.

You wouldn't be a Charles Bell who once taught at UNCG, by any chance, would you?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Welcome to Flyertalk charlesbell74!

In addition to what PTravel mentioned above, you may want to reference the US Airways-First Class travel page. It outlines if/when meals are given, and some other information.

As to the seat, did you report it to the FA? If nothing else, that should get the seat fixed so another passenger doesn't have the same issues.

For the seat and other service issues, you should send an email to Customer Relations, concisely note your experiences, and tell them what you would like in return (perhaps a percentage of your miles re-deposited).
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
Sounds like the typical USair short haul flight!

Did the bathrooms clog too and cause the entire plane to use one? I have seen this trick a lot lately. Must be a Union thing!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Zanotti
Sounds like the typical USair short haul flight!

Did the bathrooms clog too and cause the entire plane to use one? I have seen this trick a lot lately. Must be a Union thing!
I'm not a Union fanboy in the least, but really? Come on.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: US Chairman, United Premier Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Club Carlson Silver
It is really hit or miss. When I get good flight attendants in first class, I give them multiple A&B certs. Otherwise, it seems to be the complete 180. There does not seem to be a middle ground.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You don't list the aircraft, route or flight duration, but this sounds like a short hop, perhaps in a RJ. Nicer seat, drink and maybe a bag of pretzels, but that's it. Good FA offers a second round time permitting, but have never been denied a second round when I ask (so long as it's not too late in the flight). Long story short, if it's not a meal flight, on US all you get is a better seat.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by charlesbell74
Lesson learned, I hope?

Personally, I would never cash in US miles to fly in domestic F (unless I had millions to burn). Next time, save those miles for something truly special. See my signature below for an example...

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Lesson learned, I hope?

Personally, I would never cash in US miles to fly in domestic F (unless I had millions to burn). Next time, save those miles for something truly special. See my signature below for an example...

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!!
unless it's a $500+ domestic RT to the west coast with only mid/high coach fares and low-F still available. an extra 5k to sit up front seems like a pretty smart decision for a route like that, IMO
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Funny this was just posted. I was on flight 55 last night from Phoenix to Minneapolis..it was about 2:45 wheels up to wheels down. No pre depature...it was an A321 and it's sometimes hit or miss. The FA after take off started serving beverages with the snack basket. Everyone got a drink and a snack. She told everyone they could only take one snack. The person next to me asked for another drink and another pack of chips. She said....no more drinks for an hour.....Even I looked at her...she said it's 2:45 flight and everyone will get 2 drinks...maybe a third. Then she said she was not allowed to pass the basket again. I could see it in the galley and it seemed to have quite a few snacks left. It was odd. I finally asked for another glass of wine and got another glass that was 1/4 full.

Anyway..she said she had just returned from a LOA. Maybe all the changes were too much for her? It was just odd. I even heard her tell a customer across the aisle not another drink for 45 minutes. He said I paid for first class and she responded "so".

I was coming home after a long biz trip. Gawd..I hope I never get her again. What a buzz kill! Wonder if she knows the Soup Nazi?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by funsmpls
Funny this was just posted. I was on flight 55 last night from Phoenix to Minneapolis...
funsmpls, PLEASE go online and use the US Customer Service email address and tell US about this occurance. Let them know you witnessed a poor performance by a FA and give as many details as possible. If we don't push this info to US, we can rest assured nothing will be done. Let them know...
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Last week I was in F (via elite upgrade, my first week of being elite) on a US flight from DFW to PHL. It was on an Embrear 190. There was no pre-departure service, but the plane is really tight and was running a touch late so no big deal.

I asked for scotch and water and was given two Glenlivet bottles. A cold salad with roast beef was served - nothing special but I had thought on a less than three hour flight there would be nothing. The seat had not much leg room but was otherwise comfortable.

The FA was very attentive and offered me another drink but I'd reached my limit.

My only other FC experience is on AA. They have a little more to work with, it seems, but I still enjoyed my complimentary upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
Originally Posted by funsmpls
Funny this was just posted. I was on flight 55 last night from Phoenix to Minneapolis..it was about 2:45 wheels up to wheels down. No pre depature...it was an A321...
I did Cactus 94 last week MSP-PHX and recieved a PDB and multiple beverage service enroute to PHX. They also werent stingy with the snacks either.Flight #55 is a US East operated flight and your experience is pretty much spot on when Ive taken that flight. The US West operated flights ive been on, the service has been noticeably more consistent.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
Last week I was in F (via elite upgrade, my first week of being elite) on a US flight from DFW to PHL. It was on an Embrear 190. There was no pre-departure service, but the plane is really tight and was running a touch late so no big deal.

I asked for scotch and water and was given two Glenlivet bottles. A cold salad with roast beef was served - nothing special but I had thought on a less than three hour flight there would be nothing. The seat had not much leg room but was otherwise comfortable.

The FA was very attentive and offered me another drink but I'd reached my limit.

My only other FC experience is on AA. They have a little more to work with, it seems, but I still enjoyed my complimentary upgrade.
Wait... How did you get food on a less than 3.5 hr flight? On an rj nonetheless. Are you sure that you were flying US? Or have the standards for F changed again?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by usAir
Wait... How did you get food on a less than 3.5 hr flight? On an rj nonetheless. Are you sure that you were flying US? Or have the standards for F changed again?
I know, I know. I was not expecting it, but there it was. 3 PM departure, 2:45 in the air.

Maybe the scheduled flight time is long enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.