Wiki Posts
Search

Erratic loads BOS-DCA

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Erratic loads BOS-DCA

Just a heads up, friends. I've flown the shuttle between BOS and DCA gosh, I'm sure more than 50 times. Go to the airport, walk up to the machine, get a ticket for the next flight. OK sometimes Sunday PM have to wait one flight.

So on Monday I was shocked when I showed up at Logan at 10:15 A and the next available seat was 8P!! I stood by a number of flights but there were very few seats going and those of higher status were getting them. Eventually got to DCA, but not on US. And, Monday evening, the 9P return flight for Wednesday was sold out and there was but one seat left on the 7:30 - for which I paid the princely sum of $800!

I gather it might have to do with graduation events, e.g. Harvard Med is tomorrow (Thursday) and there may have been weekend graduation events over last weekend. So probably a time-of-year phenom but just passing my observations on.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Just a heads up, friends. I've flown the shuttle between BOS and DCA gosh, I'm sure more than 50 times. Go to the airport, walk up to the machine, get a ticket for the next flight. OK sometimes Sunday PM have to wait one flight.

So on Monday I was shocked when I showed up at Logan at 10:15 A and the next available seat was 8P!! I stood by a number of flights but there were very few seats going and those of higher status were getting them. Eventually got to DCA, but not on US. And, Monday evening, the 9P return flight for Wednesday was sold out and there was but one seat left on the 7:30 - for which I paid the princely sum of $800!

I gather it might have to do with graduation events, e.g. Harvard Med is tomorrow (Thursday) and there may have been weekend graduation events over last weekend. So probably a time-of-year phenom but just passing my observations on.
$800.00. did they let you sit up front.........as in the cockpit??
Old May 25, 2011, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by itsme110
$800.00. did they let you sit up front.........as in the cockpit??
No but it did get me an aisle seat and the full can of coke.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Preferred
I'm sure graduation events played into it, but on Monday, LGA was posting some delays and cancelling some of the shuttle flights from BOS, so a lot of people were moving to different flights that day to avoid the ground delays.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
On Friday last week I was supposed to connect in DCA then shuttle on to BOS. My flight had a mechanical issue and the delay was going to make me miss my 1:30 flight, and there was not a single seat available for the rest of the day. I had to go to PHL and take my chances instead. I thought that was odd.
Old May 26, 2011, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US Shuttle is essentially an elite route. There are CP doing walk-up all the time and others who may not have quite the status but are on corporate rates which treat discounted bucket as full Y for all purposes. This creates serious availability problem for *S/*G and US elites at below CP. For instance, GS desk at UA can probably secure a seat from inventory when the kiosk won't. Options are DL (which isn't technically a shuttle, but who cares, it's a relatively frequent aircraft), Acela which seems long on the BOS-WAS run, but not really if you can't find a US seat for 6-8 hours. Union Station is 15 mins on Metro from DCA, and AirTran which runs to IAD from BOS. If you are in BOS, the Airtran option is appealing. If at DCA, not so much to run out to IAD.
Old May 26, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1P
Why not BWI?

Seems to me if you're going to be stuck at the airport that long, why not just take a BOS-BWI flight (Jetblue/Airtran/Southwest all have large amounts of non-stops), and if it's a weekday, hop on the Amtrak or MARC commuter train from BWI to DC (weekends I guess you'd have to take the taxi/bus to the Greenbelt metro). Or just do a one-way car rental from BWI to DCA (which is usually treated as a co-location for most rentals).
Old May 26, 2011, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by veezer
Seems to me if you're going to be stuck at the airport that long, why not just take a BOS-BWI flight (Jetblue/Airtran/Southwest all have large amounts of non-stops), and if it's a weekday, hop on the Amtrak or MARC commuter train from BWI to DC (weekends I guess you'd have to take the taxi/bus to the Greenbelt metro). Or just do a one-way car rental from BWI to DCA (which is usually treated as a co-location for most rentals).
He could do the B30 bus from BWI for $6 to greenbelt.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by krpjr
He could do the B30 bus from BWI for $6 to greenbelt.
I somehow doubt that the same person purchasing walk-up shuttle tickets from the kiosk is interested in the $6 option to BWI.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
Jet Blue now does BOS-DCA about 5 times a day.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Mudfish
Jet Blue now does BOS-DCA about 5 times a day.
19 non-stops between WAS(IAD, BWI, DCA)-BOS daily. 7x out of DCA, 7x out of IAD, and 5x out of BWI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.