Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel Partner Award Return: Surgery

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Cancel Partner Award Return: Surgery

Hi all,

So I am in NY to get surgery tomorrow, and it seems as if the procedure might be a little more serious than was expected. Using my Dividend Miles, I booked a UA PS First Class award ticket. If I have to cancel my return segment for the reason listed above, will US redeposit the 25,000 miles used?

Thanks so much!
Old May 8, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by boat9781
...If I have to cancel my return segment for the reason listed above, will US redeposit the 25,000 miles used?...
Unfortunately, no ... US has a tough policy, with no stated exceptions.

From website, (emphasis mine)

Partner travel
•Changes to origin, destinations, class of service, award level, dates and times are not permitted once travel has commenced.
An award itinerary, or a portion thereof may be cancelled at any time without penalty; cancellation, however, will not result in the re-deposit of miles or the refund of any fees paid.
•One en route stopover per itinerary is permitted for select international travel awards.
•Award travel on Royal Jordanian and Virgin Atlantic must originate from a valid US Airways operated city.
•Flights operated by a non-partner airline with a partner airline code are not eligible for award travel.
•US Airways is the final authority in choosing routing and the Dividend Miles partner to provide award travel, including the right to choose the most efficient routings and partners based on the desired origin and destination.
•US Airways is responsible only for Dividend Miles program awards. US Airways does not assume responsibility for the program awards of any participating partner.
•Specific Dividend Miles partners and destinations may change with or without notice.
Best wishes on the surgery!
Old May 9, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
Good Luck with the surgery - losing 25K miles is nothing compared to your health!

Z
Old May 9, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
They don't have to do it, but might anyway given the circumstances. There's little downside to a call to make that determination. You would certainly be able to provide documentation if they wanted it and you're willing to share it with them.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Good luck on your surgery. I sure hope you don't need to cancel your award - that would mean great news! But, if you do, please let us know how US handles your situation, I'd call now and see what they say. Don't wait till after the surgery to inquire. If they'll do it, it will be a quick call to cancel and if they won't, it's just a courtesy, so they might seat someone else.
God Bless,
Eileen
Old May 9, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
It doesn't hurt to try.

Also from website:

Award ticket redeposit
Fully unused award tickets are eligible for redeposit into your account within 1 year from the date of issue once the reservation is canceled. A redeposit fee (payable by credit card only) will apply per ticket.
All canceled paper award tickets must be returned unused to the Dividend Miles Service Center before miles will be redeposited into your account.
When a voluntary change in itinerary results in a lower award level or class of service (i.e. coach class), the additional banked miles may be redeposited into your account prior to travel commencement. A redeposit fee (payable by credit card only) will apply. This will be processed at the member's request.
Once travel has commenced on an award ticket, the award is considered used. Mileage for any unused portion will not be redeposited into your account.
The redeposit fee is $150.
I've been able to redeposit partner awards as a CP (for free), but I don't know how it works for non-status members.
Old May 9, 2011, 4:59 pm

How about moving the return to a later date?
Old May 9, 2011, 7:17 pm

Try moving the return to an alternate date.

They may give over - I would at least try.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
I tried to move a return flight due to sickness. Called several times and always got the same answer: no change under any circumstances.

good luck with the surgery !
Old May 9, 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by GK1998
I tried to move a return flight due to sickness. Called several times and always got the same answer: no change under any circumstances.

good luck with the surgery !
Well, you could always pay the change fee, which I believe the OP can do in this situation as well.
Old May 10, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by usAir
Well, you could always pay the change fee, which I believe the OP can do in this situation as well.
Nope. No changes of any kind after travel has commenced on a partner award. See post #2 and the second to last item in the rule you quoted in post #6.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
The rules indeed clearly state that, but on two occasions in the past five years I have been able to get the return legs of partner awards changed by preferred desk agents with the change fee after the outbounds had been used. In both cases, family medical emergencies forced the matter, and I was prepared to buy tickets and toss the award return leg, but I was extremely grateful for their flexibility.

They don't have to do it, but I still say it's worth the try.
Old May 10, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by phlwookie
They don't have to do it, but I still say it's worth the try.
I totally agree with you. My response was specific to the notion that it was just a matter of paying a fee. It's not. It's a matter of finding sympathy and having a rule overridden.
Old May 12, 2011, 5:58 pm

Sorry, I didn't see that the OP had already commenced travel (I thought it was an entire award trip that the OP was looking to move, which would fall under the usual change fee). DCAorBust's post is correct. Good luck with the surgery!
Old May 13, 2011, 9:06 am

I was thinking about this rule and trying to figure out the reason for it. It is not just revenue protection, as that can be much more easily protected by charging a fee (and US never misses an opportunity to collect ancillary fees).

The best I can come up with is the likelihood that even if changes were permitted a passenger on a partner reward ticket in many far flung places not served by US may in practice be unable to change the return because no partner has any reward inventory available. And thus, rather than explain to the passenger "you could pay $150 to change to another return flight where award inventory exists, but there are no such flights, we don't service MRU, and therefore you are stranded" US just lays down a blanket policy from the outset that changes are not permitted. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by safetymom; May 13, 2011 at 9:52 am Reason: removed comment on deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.