Wiki Posts
Search

Continental/United Upgrade on US

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K
Continental/United Upgrade on US

I was on a flight up to Boston the other day and they upgraded another 1k flyer but didnt upgrade me. I asked the passenger upon landing and he says they do that from time to time. Anyone else experience this?
Old May 5, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Nevermind didnt see this was for US.
I to am curious what the criteria is.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by HighInTheSky777
I was on a flight up to Boston the other day and they upgraded another 1k flyer but didnt upgrade me. I asked the passenger upon landing and he says they do that from time to time. Anyone else experience this?
Not part of your standard benefits, but sometimes they bump up *A preferred pax. Especially if there is no room in Y. But in general, don't count on it.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: MP 1K, AA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cactus47
Not part of your standard benefits, but sometimes they bump up *A preferred pax. Especially if there is no room in Y. But in general, don't count on it.
I'm a 1K on United with no status on US (other than *G of course) and I got upgraded on a US PHX-FLL flight. I was just coming to this forum to ask the very same question because it has never happened to me before.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sometimes happens to me as well. UDU on US is for US elite only, not *A. Usually, you need to pay a fee of $50-1501. But, that said, sometimes it happens and sometimes it happens even more if you very politely ask an open-ended question such as, "is there anything available in First?"
Old May 7, 2011, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
A couple of years ago, I traveled on US a fair bit as a 1K. After a couple of weeks, the agents at my home airport were upgrading me about 50% of the time. However, I can only recall a couple of upgrades from other stations. IMO it is totally a gate agent call. Perhaps a US GA can help us answer this question.

I do have another very recent upgrade experience on US but that is part of a rather interesting story which I shall post on the US board in due course.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
As stated many times, the UDU on US flights is for US elites only. Same thing for UDU on UA flights... they are for UA elites only.

That said, there is lots of evidence that the first passengers to receive a comp upgrade on other Star Alliance carriers tend to be Star Golds. Seems appropriate to me.
Old May 8, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
UA bumped the girlfriend and I up as a *G (US CP). They needed the space in the back.

Some days you just get lucky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.