Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:24 am
Original Poster

EU Compensation

Any recent experience with obtaining compensation from US for canceled flights from Europe? I did not depart until the next day, and the cancelation was due to mechanical issues, so it should be an open and shut case.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:31 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by USAflyer
Any recent experience with obtaining compensation from US for canceled flights from Europe? I did not depart until the next day, and the cancelation was due to mechanical issues, so it should be an open and shut case.
You need to persist. Be prepared to receive answers containing falsehoods and misinformation.
You must formally request the compensation from USAirways. Because you deal with European rules besides writing the email, also send a registered & return receipt requested letter (it may contain printout of your email). In your email give specifics identifying the flight number and date. In your email/letter ask USAirways to identify by name and address the authority that enforces the EU Passenger Rights law that has jurisdiction over the specific flight.

If you do not get an answer/compensation within reasonable (for Europeans) time (say 4 weeks) - you are free to file with the agency in the country from which the flight originated. Regardless of the EU country you may write in English. No elaboration is necessary - but details idenfying your scheduled and actual departures and arrivals are needed. You may add printouts from flightstats.com.
But be mindful that USAirways in such situations cancels your original flight and returns you on a different flight - at least it appears that way in some records. What counts is your delay not the flight's delay.

When you push hard enough USAirways may offer you 600 USD voucher - you can take it but it does not replace the 600 Euro (about 900 USD) cash. The Eu law requires cash and the airline cannot claim that it gave you voucher instead. In fact the law requires cash because vouchers have no punitive effect ergo are not incentives for the airline to improve.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:09 am

Any experience on delayed luggage with US?

On March 27, we flew rom MUC to PHL and on to BOS. Our luggage didn't make it for the first 5 days. So how generous is US with compensating for clothes, phone calls etc?! Sharing any of your experience would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.