Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Media Day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Finally...First Class on the larger RJs ^^^^^^^ This makes downgrades like PHX-AUS and longer flights like CLT-AUS far more bearable. Wish it had happened in time for the erstwhile PHX-MEM route.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
"First/biz class food improvements will be revenue neutral due to cutbacks elsewhere #usmediaday
5 minutes ago via TweetDeck"

Interesting.

edit-even more interesting

"US Airways will use Facebook for some promotional offers #usmediaday #smtravel
30 minutes ago via TweetDeck
US Airways "slowly" developing its Facebook presence with deeper content than on USAirways.com #usmediaday #smtravel
30 minutes ago via TweetDeck"
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I've noticed a little more presence on the US facebook page in the last 2 weeks or so. It used to be a completely abandonned page; then it was updated by US but didn't allow user content; now it allows user posts AND a live human has, in a few cases, replied to some of those posts.

It's currently a wasteland of US happy-marketing posts vs people complaining about X, Y and Z so I added a (probably too long) post about what I'd like to see on their facebook page and on twitter. Constructive criticism and all

Nice to see a concentrated effort from many directions though. By revamping F on longer flights, adding F to RJ's, rolling out mobile BP to more airports, and now some potential social media campaigns of substance, I wonder what we will have left to complain about?

If they want to build on the momentum I would LOVE to be able to wait-list upgrades (CP certs, miles) online. Hint hint, in case US is reading.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
This is what is frustrating from US. They are seemingly smart people, I can figure out why they can not put 1 and 1 together:

Via twitter:
crankyflier
no power outlets anytime soon - too expensive, low usage rates, and hard to maintain #usmediaday

crankyflier
@USAirways internet usage rates are below 5%, breakeven is over 20% but Kirby expects it will become prevalent over time #usmediaday

I mean at least experiment. Put power ports on like 2-4 of the A321's and see what the internet usage rates become once people realize they have power to actually use the devices...

Am I crazy about thinking the two are linked ?

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
FYI...i updated Post #1 to include the afternoon session. There's a ton of stuff there.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
Am I crazy about thinking the two are linked ?
If so there's two of us - I had the same thought. "Feel free to browse the internet but if your laptop (or whatever) battery dies too bad."

Jim
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
If so there's two of us - I had the same thought. "Feel free to browse the internet but if your laptop (or whatever) battery dies too bad."

Jim
I find that most of my devices last long enough these days that even without power, I'm usually able to take advantage...of course that's only if they're on a full charge, so of course access to power would be a help in a pinch.

In my view a bigger part of the problem is that the service just isn't available on the routes I fly. They really need to bite the bullet and install Gogo on the A319s (and A320s). I'm betting they'd hit that 20% threshold or better on DCA>PHX or DCA>LAS if it was available on the fleet type.

If they put it on the A319s (and E190s) for Shuttle flights, they could just give it away as a competitive feature, or find corporate partners to sponsor it. Shuttle flights are short, but it would definitely be useful to be able to send/receive email in flight on handheld devices.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by DCAorBust
I find that most of my devices last long enough these days that even without power, I'm usually able to take advantage...of course that's only if they're on a full charge, so of course access to power would be a help in a pinch.

In my view a bigger part of the problem is that the service just isn't available on the routes I fly. They really need to bite the bullet and install Gogo on the A319s (and A320s). I'm betting they'd hit that 20% threshold or better on DCA>PHX or DCA>LAS if it was available on the fleet type.

If they put it on the A319s (and E190s) for Shuttle flights, they could just give it away as a competitive feature, or find corporate partners to sponsor it. Shuttle flights are short, but it would definitely be useful to be able to send/receive email in flight on handheld devices.
+1. The devices I travel with have plenty of power, and just in case, I bring a lightweight battery. Some laptops can be power hogs but netbooks, a number of Apple laptops, newer iPhones & iPads can easily last 6-8 hrs.

Since they don't provide any entertainment on domestic flights bringing my own to pass the time (since I'm one of those who can't sleep on planes and don't use meds) is always a priority.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any info on Rio service and what will happen with it? Possibility for GIG? Any info on any new international destinations and from where? What about new destinations for PHX from the East Coast markets...could the RJs cover those?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: None
I haven't seen anything new on S. America that came out of media day.

The E170 and maybe 175 could do the east coast from PHX if Republic has the AR (Advanced Range) versions, depending some on what city on the east coast. S. Florida and BOS would be a definite problem, NYC a stretch, but the major cities are already served by mainline. So say south of NYC and to about JAX the inland cities could be doable - PIT, BNA, CVG, PNS, BUF, and the like. Like always, the limitation is going to be the westbound flight in winter.

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by richinaz
+1. The devices I travel with have plenty of power, and just in case, I bring a lightweight battery. Some laptops can be power hogs but netbooks, a number of Apple laptops, newer iPhones & iPads can easily last 6-8 hrs.
I don't think that you can discount the percentage of travelers whose laptops only have a 2-3 hour battery life, as these people are a "missed opportunity." If you have work to do on your laptop which takes 2 hours and can be done off-line, and you would then conceivably do your personal internet surfing for the remaining 2 hours, you have just drained your battery. Therefore, no sale.

The current uptake is not really representative of the potential uptake, given the lack of power.

If US were to ever replace the seats in their aircraft, they really need to order new seats with 110V power ports. It really is a very wise investment, and will at least give US more options for future wifi installs.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
These are courtesy of crankyflier:

no power outlets anytime soon - too expensive, low usage rates, and hard to maintain #usmediaday

"don't look for individualized entertainment onboard anytime soon" - less important as internet becomes more prevalent #usmediaday

@USAirways internet usage rates are below 5%, breakeven is over 20% but Kirby expects it will become prevalent over time #usmediaday

To me this seems like a paradox. They do not want to spend money on IFE yet they don't really support the alternative either not even in First only. Perhaps if they were more consistent people might utilize the power and wifi more since it will become more prevalent as opposed to 321 only.

Lets compare to Virgin America who has supported wifi and power ports at all seats:

53% of people fly @VirginAmerica w/ laptops. 33% log onto WiFi.

US Airways likes to focus on costs and not vision. Heck even DL, WN, AS is making wifi a priority.

US like always will be very late to the party and wonder why some may prefer the competition.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I will just say that for all of the hoopla and parlaver - Upgrades on Express flightswill be 'nice.'

But I firmly believe that US is missing a huge opportunity in the area of social media. Surely they have witnessed the power of positive and negative social media events on Twitter as well as Facebook.... yet they insist on employing a mere two individuals to manage and run Twitter (with the focus on their employee Tweets). Shameful!

I tend to agree.... where is the vision for this company. Oh, that's right. There is none.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by miffSC
I will just say that for all of the hoopla and parlaver - Upgrades on Express flightswill be 'nice.'

But I firmly believe that US is missing a huge opportunity in the area of social media. Surely they have witnessed the power of positive and negative social media events on Twitter as well as Facebook.... yet they insist on employing a mere two individuals to manage and run Twitter (with the focus on their employee Tweets). Shameful!

I tend to agree.... where is the vision for this company. Oh, that's right. There is none.
There twitter presence is pitiful, it is mostly just corporate speak. They should enlist Brett (Cranky) and have them help them out. He had two good articles on @deltaassist and twitter. I could care less about facebook, but twitter really needs to be focused on.

http://crankyflier.com/2010/06/28/de...needs-to-grow/

http://crankyflier.com/2010/09/20/de...tter-movement/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.