Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

HEADS UP IF FLYING A330-300 in next few weeks (Fuel leak causing CXL'd flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....

This just in:

USNews Now: Fuel Leak in A330-300 Fleet Prompts Inspections

April 2, 2011

This past week, we discovered a fuel leak in one of our nine A330-300 aircraft during a regularly scheduled maintenance check. We have identified the source of the leak and are working with the manufacturer, Airbus, to inspect and repair the other eight A330-300s. This does not affect the airline's seven A330-200 aircraft. There are a total of 340 aircraft in our fleet.

Any aircraft that has been found to have a leak is being fixed by our maintenance team, which is expected to take three to four days per aircraft. As you know, the A330 is an important component in our trans-Atlantic operation. Of our 3,200 daily flights, nine have been cancelled thus far. We are re-accommodating impacted customers.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:29 pm

The company found out there was a problem and is fixing it. No reason to be upset or alert the media.........

Reaccomadatons are being made for all passengers via our airline and other airlines.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Thx for the heads up. Always helpful to have forewarning.

Wonder if it's something that affects the fleet type at all carriers.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Delete

Last edited by limabean767; Apr 4, 2011 at 6:41 am Reason: Error
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
This must be the reason that my FRA-PHL flight on April 3rd was canceled.

US Airways did contact me, but unfortunately, it was through phone and e-mail and I cannot check either one ex-US. I found out that there was an issue when I checked in at the airport. (My first thought was, "Hmmm...maybe I can get some extra miles when the re-route me!)
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
The company found out there was a problem and is fixing it. No reason to be upset or alert the media.........

Accommodation are being made for all passengers via our airline and other airlines.
Does anyone know what kind of accommodations are being made? For example if I have an Envoy seat (via the CP upgrade) will a similar seat be given or will there be a decent chance of being downgraded?

My flight isn't until May so hopefully things will have been fixed long before then but I'm curious as to how they have been handling the situation.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by richinaz
Does anyone know what kind of accommodations are being made? For example if I have an Envoy seat (via the CP upgrade) will a similar seat be given or will there be a decent chance of being downgraded?

My flight isn't until May so hopefully things will have been fixed long before then but I'm curious as to how they have been handling the situation.

Thanks.
It looks like the 300's are flying again. It was really only a couple of days and very few flight cancellations. They substituted the 300's flights with 200's and 767's. I'm happy this happened now and not in mid summer.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tahitigirl
It looks like the 300's are flying again. It was really only a couple of days and very few flight cancellations. They substituted the 300's flights with 200's and 767's. I'm happy this happened now and not in mid summer.
Last night's 732 to LGW was still a 767-200. Tell that to those unlucky folks

Interesting that my upcoming LGW-CLT on 11 APR is showing as A330-300 on the US Airways website, but most definitely the seat map is for the A330-200. It only has 36 rows of economy, and in Envoy the seat map is 5 rows of AxCFxH. I suppose this is still all liable to change, but I hope this is the case, I'd quite like to try out the new(ish) -200, if for nothing else, at least it has a moving map on the IFE system!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by richinaz

Thanks.

This is a good question to which I'd like to know the answer since I have paid Envoy seats for later this month on the PHL-FRA flight.

Is this fuel line problem definitely completely fixed on all planes?

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; Apr 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.