US Flight cheaper on United site than on USair's site

Old Mar 18, 11, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
US Flight cheaper on United site than on USair's site

Hey guys,

Looking for a o/w flight from LAX - TPA. US prices were really high so went over to United site to see if there was anything. Found United 2743 LAX-CLT then United 2336 CLT - TPA for $170ish.

Turns out that flight is operated by US which is US flights 1222 and 1291 respectively. On the US site that same flight is $400+. If I book this flight on the United site will I still get US silver benefits since I'm physically flying US metal or does United deny that because of codeshare or something.

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 11, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by GNVGator View Post
Hey guys,

Looking for a o/w flight from LAX - TPA. US prices were really high so went over to United site to see if there was anything. Found United 2743 LAX-CLT then United 2336 CLT - TPA for $170ish.

Turns out that flight is operated by US which is US flights 1222 and 1291 respectively. On the US site that same flight is $400+. If I book this flight on the United site will I still get US silver benefits since I'm physically flying US metal or does United deny that because of codeshare or something.

Thanks
Put in your DM number and you'll get US benefits.
Old Mar 18, 11, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Good to know, figured I'd ask before I booked.

Will the reservation show up on my US account so I can make a seat change to exit row?

Does this price difference happen alot?
Old Mar 18, 11, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Preferred
Originally Posted by GNVGator View Post
Good to know, figured I'd ask before I booked.

Will the reservation show up on my US account so I can make a seat change to exit row?

Does this price difference happen alot?
I dont think that the reservation will appear in your US online account. I think your best bet is to call US reservations and get them to switch you into an exit row.

As far as the price difference happening often, I wouldnt say often but lets just say I have taken advantage of it on multiple occasions and still gotten upgraded on US metal. Chcking UA is always part of my process when looking for great fares on US and I would suggest that you contintinue the practice as well.
Old Mar 18, 11, 3:18 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Yes, if you put in your US# on the UA reservation (with US metal), it will appear on the US website.

There is ONE rather important caveat with this... If US has a change of schedule, UA will do their darndest best to put you on UA metal. It's a massive PITA.

HTSC
Old Mar 18, 11, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the information. Just booked it on United site. Love US pricing, looking at the seat map the plane is empty yet the one way flight costs $400+. Somebody forgot to hedge their fuel costs?
Old Mar 18, 11, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Would US ever match the fare? I have never tried calling and asking
Old Mar 19, 11, 8:09 am

Programs: US Silver, Marriott Rewards Gold, AmEx Platinum
Flight pricing, one of lifes great mysteries.

PHL-LAX $1,300 / PHL-LAX-PSP $900

PHL-LAX is same flight, same class, same airline website. Saved $400 + rental car fee and aggravation of getting through LA to Palm Springs.
Old Mar 19, 11, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Happens all the time. But, you can earn US benefits on a UA flight number by simply entering your US DM #. You will then receive US credit. But, be forewarned, you will be travelling as *A/, not DM, so you will not be eligible for automatic UDU. Rather, you will have to ask at check-in counter or gate.
Old Mar 21, 11, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
But, be forewarned, you will be travelling as *A/, not DM, so you will not be eligible for automatic UDU. Rather, you will have to ask at check-in counter or gate.
Wrong! Just a few days ago, was flying on USAir on United ticket, and received email from USAir about 3 days ago about upgrade status. Unfortunately there was not available upgrade for me at that time, but they did let me know about it by email several days in advance.
Old Mar 21, 11, 11:31 am

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by moonquake View Post
Wrong! Just a few days ago, was flying on USAir on United ticket, and received email from USAir about 3 days ago about upgrade status. Unfortunately there was not available upgrade for me at that time, but they did let me know about it by email several days in advance.
Thanks for the info. That is what I would expect since you are only using United's web site to buy a ticket on US Airways. It really is no different than buying it on US Airways web site except for whatever commission they have to pay to United.

It still doesn't explain why some US Airways prices are lower on United's web site. Are they (United) given a block of tickets to sell?
Old Mar 21, 11, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP (from US CP); SPG Plat; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by moonquake View Post
Wrong!...
Often1 is technically correct as far as present codeshare rules are concerned (or US has been slow in changing it on website page) ...
•Flights must be sold as a US Airways flight to be eligible; flight purchased as a code share through one of our partners will not be eligible for upgrade.
You are correct that in practice (for some time now) US Preferreds flying UA codeshare on US metal with DM# entered are able to get complimentary domestic auto-upgrades at the Preferred window. Whether this is a computer glitch (or whether the rules have changed and not updated on website) I don't know. If the rules haven't changed, I don't know how long more it'd last either.
Old Mar 21, 11, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
Often1 is technically correct as far as present codeshare rules are concerned (or US has been slow in changing it on website page) ...

You are correct that in practice (for some time now) US Preferreds flying UA codeshare on US metal with DM# entered are able to get complimentary domestic auto-upgrades at the Preferred window. Whether this is a computer glitch (or whether the rules have changed and not updated on website) I don't know. If the rules haven't changed, I don't know how long more it'd last either.
I wasn't even aware of that rule, was just talking based on my recent experience. Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: