US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)

Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get the monthly email with the dividend miles activity and it shows the expiration date in the email.

I joined the dividend miles dining program and just go to a local place for pizza occasionally to keep miles active since I am not flying as much these days. Miles post within a few days.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by rgm18
yes, i did that but the donation is not listed despite the fact that they deducted the miles from my account!
You said "usair's website wont tell me my expiration date" - I gave you
that answer.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:21 am

My husband's miles are expiring in early April. He wants to make a purchase to keep them active. When he tries to sign up for the storefront shopping, it says he has to log in securely through the USairways mastercard site. He did have a USairways mastercard, but it was close more than a year ago. He still has the mastercard login info, but it says "inactive account" when he uses it. There doesn't seem to be any way for him to use the mall.(?)

Last edited by mareh; Jan 12, 2015 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I was astonished -- really astonished -- to discover that all I had to do to revive 3K forfeited miles was open a Barclays US Air MasterCard account. I had actually just done this anyway to snag an extra 50K soon-to-be AA miles before the program merger. The forfeited miles reposted a couple of days ago.

This was all a fringe benefit of linking my US and AA accounts since I wouldn't have looked at my US account otherwise and I had thought the miles were gone for ever. Luckily for me, the US website is actually very, very clear on this topic.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:52 am

Reinstatement

Originally Posted by wilful
I'm in the same boat as nancy east who posted on 11-22-14. Do you know of any way I can "(buy dinner somewhere using the AA or US dining programs)" WITHOUT using a U.S. Airways credit card? I no longer have one.
I just got an email from U.S.
Airways. The gist of it was that I pay a $9.00 "Reinstatement" fee. I went to My Account, paid the fee - and it appears that I am "good to go". I did not have to get a credit card, buy magazines, dine out, shop at partners, take a flight - or any of that stuff. They sent an automatic email showing the particulars of the reinstatement, including the date(today) the cost ($9.00) and miles (66000) and other Profile info.

Best 9 bucks I've spent in a while.

Last edited by wilful; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:06 am Reason: Add email notification
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:04 am

Barclays Card

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I was astonished -- really astonished -- to discover that all I had to do to revive 3K forfeited miles was open a Barclays US Air MasterCard account. I had actually just done this anyway to snag an extra 50K soon-to-be AA miles before the program merger. The forfeited miles reposted a couple of days ago.

This was all a fringe benefit of linking my US and AA accounts since I wouldn't have looked at my US account otherwise and I had thought the miles were gone for ever. Luckily for me, the US website is actually very, very clear on this topic.
Having had dozens of different credit cards over 50 years, and never any problems with any of them - I gotta tell you - the Barclays Bank one was the big exception. Their North American customer service was very, very poor.The card itself worked just fine. I see no problem with anyone using the card - so long as they do not envision ever having to contact customer service. I only had the card because U.S. Airways dropped Bank of America VISA, and went to Barclays MasterCard. Obviously, a cost cutting move; you get what you pay for.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wilful
I'm in the same boat as nancy east who posted on 11-22-14. Do you know of any way I can "(buy dinner somewhere using the AA or US dining programs)" WITHOUT using a U.S. Airways credit card? I no longer have one.
You can use any credit card if you are a member of the dividend miles dining program. Just make sure to register that credit card in your dining program account and the miles will get credited to your US account once you use the card at a participating restaurant/pizza place etc.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mareh
My husband's miles are expiring in early April. He wants to make a purchase to keep them active. When he tries to sign up for the storefront shopping, it says he has to log in securely through the USairways mastercard site. He did have a USairways mastercard, but it was close more than a year ago. He still has the mastercard login info, but it says "inactive account" when he uses it. There doesn't seem to be any way for him to use the mall.(?)
mareh - Did you figure out a solution to this? I seem to be running into the same problem.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by huge
mareh - Did you figure out a solution to this? I seem to be running into the same problem.
Hi Mareh - Here is the solution: Go to my Post 395 of Jan 14, 2015.. Super simple solution.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
After a little poking around I got the storefront to work, and got credited with miles 3 or 4 days after making a purchase at Newegg. I spent $25 on something I needed anyway, but I'm guessing you could spend $1.00 and it would work.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, UA - former 1K, SPG - Plat, HH - former Diamond
Hi,

I got an email from US Airways saying that my miles have expired as my last activity was June 14, 2013.

They listed a couple of options which I could get my miles reinstated. One of them is earning miles through the Dividendmiles Storefront.

However, when I logged into my account, the options listed were different. I do not have the option to reinstate through the DM Storefront.

Should I still trying to reinstate my miles through the DM Storefront or pay $250 to reinstate my miles?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by yoggieb
Hi,

I got an email from US Airways saying that my miles have expired as my last activity was June 14, 2013.

They listed a couple of options which I could get my miles reinstated. One of them is earning miles through the Dividendmiles Storefront.

However, when I logged into my account, the options listed were different. I do not have the option to reinstate through the DM Storefront.

Should I still trying to reinstate my miles through the DM Storefront or pay $250 to reinstate my miles?
You may want to wait a couple of weeks because of this:

Travelers will see the most tangible sign yet of the US Airways-American Airlines merger this weekend when US Airways' frequent flier program is absorbed into American's.

US Airways' Dividend Miles program will fade into history as members' miles are automatically transferred into American's AAdvantage program beginning Saturday, March 28. The transition is a major merger milestone for the carriers, who combined in December 2013 but still have separate operations.

Travelers will be notified via e-mail when the process is complete on their account. Dividend Miles members without an existing American AAdvantage account will be the first to be notified, likely on Saturday, with American providing their new AAdvantage number and account balance. Those with accounts in both programs and with "elite'' frequent flier status will take longer.

The airline expects the overall transition to continue into the middle of the next week. US Airways has 30 million Dividend Miles members, American, 70 million AAdvantage members, though the combined program will have fewer than 100 million because of overlap between the two.

"It's going to vary on a customer by customer basis,'' said Suzanne Rubin, president of the AAdvantage program. "For many of them, it will be quite rapid. For others, there may be portions of activity that take a couple of days to finish out.''
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
Question

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions to resolve this predicament...

I messed up and let my (approx. 200,000) US Airways miles expire early in 2015. In March, I saw the offer to simply get a US Airways credit card, pay the annual fee and use it once, to reinstate my miles. I would also get 50,000 miles as a signup bonus.

I did that. My (now AA) account has 50,015 (the bonus + the one-time use). However, I did not get credited for my expired miles.

When I contacted AA today, they claimed that there has never been an offer to reinstate miles by getting the credit card. I must have been confused with either "pay $600 to reinstate" or "a reinstatement challenge."

I'm definitely not mistaken. There are numerous posts in this thread that reference the ability to reinstate miles by getting a new US Airways credit card (#394, 378, 376, among them), but I don't have any documentation to prove the offer that was made back in March. I thought I had a screen capture, but cannot find it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how this can be resolved?

Thanks,
Tim
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Tim in Hollywood
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions to resolve this predicament...

I messed up and let my (approx. 200,000) US Airways miles expire early in 2015. In March, I saw the offer to simply get a US Airways credit card, pay the annual fee and use it once, to reinstate my miles. I would also get 50,000 miles as a signup bonus.

I did that. My (now AA) account has 50,015 (the bonus + the one-time use). However, I did not get credited for my expired miles.

When I contacted AA today, they claimed that there has never been an offer to reinstate miles by getting the credit card. I must have been confused with either "pay $600 to reinstate" or "a reinstatement challenge."

I'm definitely not mistaken. There are numerous posts in this thread that reference the ability to reinstate miles by getting a new US Airways credit card (#394, 378, 376, among them), but I don't have any documentation to prove the offer that was made back in March. I thought I had a screen capture, but cannot find it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how this can be resolved?

Thanks,
Tim
I think you should first check with the card company, Barclay I presume. Give them the old US DM acct # and see how that goes.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
This was resolved today with a call to 1-866-419-0881, which was the number listed in the "Congratulations, youve been approved!‏" e-mail when I first got the US Airways Dividend Miles World MasterCard in March 2015.

The rep at the CC company called AA. This time, the AA rep made some effort and was able to find the info about recently expired miles. A few minutes later, the expired miles were credited to my AA account.

Too bad the AA reps on Friday were more insistent that I didn't know what I was talking about...rather than making a small amount of effort to verify whether what I was saying was correct.

Anyway, all is good now. Thanks for your help here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.