Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant CP upgrade if I buy ticket within CP upgrade window?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Instant CP upgrade if I buy ticket within CP upgrade window?

Let's say I buy a ticket 6 days before a flight (within the CP upgrade window), and I buy the ticket on the phone. Will the agent be able to force the upgrade at the time I purchase the ticket if there is still availability? To clarify, I am not talking about the "preferred upgrade" Y fare. I'm talking about a regular coach ticket booked in a non-refundable fare bucket.

Has anyone had any luck with this? I'd like to know that I'm going to get the upgrade before I buy the ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Most of the agents I've spoken to will process the upgrade for you if seats are available. I've also had a few tell me that I would have to wait for the auto upgrade system to run. Called back, got the upgrade....YMMV.

You may want to call and ask an agent if there are still upgradeable seats available on the flight you want before you purchase the ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
I have had it happen both ways as well. More often they say that you have to wait for the system to run overnight, but YMMV - as with pretty much everything, it depends on the agent that you get to speak to.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Technically they are NOT supposed to force the upgrade through, and they're supposed to let the sweeps do their thing. Even as CP you may not be the top of the upgrade queue-- unless you're the highest mileage elite, there will always be someone who outranks you, and they may actually be on the same flight. Asking the agents to force the upgrade isn't fair to potentially higher-ranking elites who may still be in the upgrade queue, which is a very common situation these days, what with Inventory Control releasing fewer seats at the window these days. whether or not your agent will bend the rules is another question though, although as with most things involving Agent Roulette, I'd not call in more than twice.

With the swollen elite ranks due to HSJ and other promos, it really bothers me to see the agents relaxing on the rules again. I really wish US would take away an agent's ability to upgrade anyone, with the exception of those upgrades that don't get handled by the sweeps (lap children).

Last edited by dcpatti; Mar 8, 2011 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by andyfarrimond
I have had it happen both ways as well. More often they say that you have to wait for the system to run overnight, but YMMV - as with pretty much everything, it depends on the agent that you get to speak to.
For me its happened both ways 2.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: US CP, Hertz Pres Cir, HH Dia, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dcpatti
With the swollen elite ranks due to HSJ and other promos, it really bothers me to see the agents relaxing on the rules again. I really wish US would take away an agent's ability to upgrade anyone, with the exception of those upgrades that don't get handled by the sweeps (lap children).
Agree. If they are "able" to bend the rules it creates the opportunity for inequity in the upgrade process.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: US-CP/SPG-Plat
An exception to this is on a full fare coach ticket. As per the US Air web site site, "Full-fare (Y or B class) economy tickets may be upgraded anytime after ticketing. Other paid tickets can be upgraded up to seven days in advance."

I have purchased a full fare coach a few days before and been able to call and have them upgrade me. I have purchased a 'discount' coach and had to wait for the next overnight cycle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.