Community
Wiki Posts
Search

APRIL 1, 2011 FC Improvements and Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flight62
Hector gets it indeed and would like to do more. Marketing holds the money tight. I hope to be a part of the launch when April comes about.
Just please tell us all this is not part of some cruel April fools joke
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Hyatt Platinum
New salt & pepper sachets!

I hope the new salt and pepper sachets are a little more generous.

I always marvel at how someone managed to design the current sachets to dispense one grain of salt at a time!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Originally Posted by twa777
Actually... it wouldn't be too much of a technical challenge to include a small web server in the on-board Gogo hardware that would provide real-time flight information. You could then use your laptop, iPad, or phone to browse to a URL that gets re-directed to the on-board web server and from there you have a better moving map than you get on most any IFE system (as it could be interactive, letting you pick the view you want to see).

The next step could be a custom app Gogo app tied into Google Earth that would let you get a real-time 3D earth view showing where your plane is.

The only limitation would really be what the airline / FAA / TSA decides they don't want you to see.
Inside the US, once Gogo is set up, why not just set up something through flightaware (http://flightaware.com/live/) or another service? You can see position, speed, estimated arrival, and so forth, which is what I recall on the moving map. Even better, you can follow other flights. And there would be no extra server.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrredskin
...at least we can get people to shutup about not having glasswear or when it's finally going to arrive...
Indeed!! ^^
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gizmo78

I always marvel at how someone managed to design the current sachets to dispense one grain of salt at a time!
+1
This is funny ... and so true!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
OT Question: Do people need full power outlets, or would they people be ok with just USB ports to charge ipods, ipads, etc ? Just a curiosity of mine.

I realize for a laptop you need a socket, but would a USB be okay especially on the A321 which have wifi ?

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
OT Question: Do people need full power outlets, or would they people be ok with just USB ports to charge ipods, ipads, etc ? Just a curiosity of mine.

I realize for a laptop you need a socket, but would a USB be okay especially on the A321 which have wifi ?

Cheers.
USB would be nice but why limit people? Frankly the USB devices like iPads and iPods have better battery life than a laptop anyways and dont need to be charged to last for an entire transcon. I wish they would just put standard outlets at each seat. Until they do I'm content using the vacuum cleaner outlet.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Originally Posted by ramolnar
Inside the US, once Gogo is set up, why not just set up something through flightaware (http://flightaware.com/live/) or another service? You can see position, speed, estimated arrival, and so forth, which is what I recall on the moving map. Even better, you can follow other flights. And there would be no extra server.
Does GOGO differ by carrier? I was just on an AA flight that had a built in "Track this flight" option on the GOGO sign in page. You could enter any flight you wanted. It was off by about 15 - 20 minutes though. I could look out the window and see that we ere flying over specific city and the map would show us about 200 miles further East.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by twa777
Actually... it wouldn't be too much of a technical challenge to include a small web server in the on-board Gogo hardware that would provide real-time flight information. You could then use your laptop, iPad, or phone to browse to a URL that gets re-directed to the on-board web server and from there you have a better moving map than you get on most any IFE system (as it could be interactive, letting you pick the view you want to see).

The next step could be a custom app Gogo app tied into Google Earth that would let you get a real-time 3D earth view showing where your plane is.

The only limitation would really be what the airline / FAA / TSA decides they don't want you to see.
100% agree
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Originally Posted by SS255
Even if the improvements add to the cost, they will realize more in added paid F revenue than whatever it costs them to make the improvements. Maybe US is finally realizing that you have to spend money to make money.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Definitely good improvements. I might actually pay the fee to upgrade now if I end up on a flight with empty First Class seats ^
Clearly we all have different preferences. On a flight less than 3.5 hours, there is absolutely nothing about these downgrades that would cause me to want to pay for F. No IFE, no power ports, no snack basket, can't mix my own drink and have to rely on the attentiveness/work ethic of the FA for re-fills, I get a bag of pretzels. Sounds like an exit row seat that is about 4" wider.

How about this instead?
  • Consistently enforced F class priority boarding with protected O/H space
  • Clean cabins
  • Uniformly attentive FC FA's
  • Consistent PDB service
  • FC lav for FC pax only - (I know many think this is elitist, but we are talking about a "buy up" FC product here - it is supposed to be more elite than Y
  • Catered food options on flights longer than 2 hours
  • Premium snack offerings, (note the use of the plural) on non-meal flights
  • Branded glassware
  • IFE on flights in excess of 2.5 hours
  • FC power ports
  • Complimentary newspapers

If you want me to consider it a first Class travel experience worthy of paying extra, then I have to get more value for my money than what I could get on another carrier.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
With all due respect, I think you're dillusional if you think adding an appetizer to a meal and using glass instead of plastic is going to be what makes a customer choose US over another airline or acutally results in them purchasing FC over coach if they're flying US anyway.
Based on the number of posts criticizing the use of plastic in F, I think it's a VERY important issue to US FFers.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by gizmo78

I always have extra salt and pepper tucked away, usually from McDonald's. I don'r even waste time in using the current ones. Could put out one's seat mate's eye while shaking them. Now, I would like an extra pat of butter. Is that too much to ask?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by formeraa
Based on the number of posts criticizing the use of plastic in F, I think it's a VERY important issue to US FFers.
Your statement is an oxymoron, if the use of plastic insted of glass in FC was very important to a frequent flyer, they wouldn't be a US FF'er in the first place since US has used plastic for several years.

The amount of complaints you read here on FT does not necessarilly directly correlate to what actually impacts a flyer's choice of airlines, an analgous example is Delta's fake cheese, you'd think that fake vs. real cheese in the club was the critical factor in choosing ones airline from the discussions on that board in the past few years.

Glassware in FC on US and fake cheese in the DL clubs are issues that FT'ers like to talk about ... a lot ... but ultimately they have no real impact on whether someone flies the airline or not.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Beckles
Your statement is an oxymoron, if the use of plastic insted of glass in FC was very important to a frequent flyer, they wouldn't be a US FF'er in the first place since US has used plastic for several years.
This comment is really stretching it... Glassware is likely a very important issue for some, however it is likely not the MOST important deciding factor when choosing what airline they fly. I'm sure schedule, convenience, and price probably are the bigger deciding factors, hence they end up flying US.

Now if glassware in F (or the lack thereof) is someone's #1 priority when flying, then I'd imagine they are certainly in the minority.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; Mar 6, 2011 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:46 pm

I suppose

Someone, somewhere, once, might have decided to opt against US FC because they use plastic, but if they did, that would have been the only time I'm sure. The reality of it is that service is an additive impression of lots of little details. And a plastic cup not a detail that reflects a luxury experience which is what FC is supposed to be.

Malcom Forbes once said the food in a restaurant always seems better when the bread in the basket is warm. Little details add up...

So while I personally don't really care at all what my drink is served in (although wine from a plastic cup never seems right) glassware in FC is a positive step IMHO because, along with the other little details, it shows US is actually attempting to field a competitive product which conveys a luxury experience. Most FFs I know don't consider the current US FC to be a "real" FC - an upgrade over coach to be sure - but not FC. And there's no way on earth anyone would choose the current US FC product over a competitive one based on the amenities. So good for US!

Except, as others have noted, the pre-packed snack basket sounds like a probable downgrade (if you're in row 3 anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.