Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortest Mainline Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by ACA321
That's right- I've flown on it a couple times now GSO-CLT. Nice to have such a large aircraft even for a short flight, and it's always been packed to the gills when I've flown it. Makes for an easier upgrade to F with the extra seats. AFAIK, there are now two regular weekday flights with A319s on this route- an early morning departure GSO-CLT as well as an afternoon turn. One plane overnights there to operate the 7:30am departure after flying in from CLT the night before.

Speaking of GSO-CLT, it seems to be a very elite-heavy route. Upgrades as a gold are typically not easy for this short flight. I always see long lists of names on the upgrade standby list.
I get to GSO roughly 30-40 times/year, and I'm always surprised how many elites are there, and I think it's the smallest market to have and maintain a club. Although LGA service was sold to DL as part of the DCA-LGA slot swap it appears that GSO-LGA is returning to AA/US.

I assume it's due to Piedmont's history there carrying over to today.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I get to GSO roughly 30-40 times/year, and I'm always surprised how many elites are there, and I think it's the smallest market to have and maintain a club. Although LGA service was sold to DL as part of the DCA-LGA slot swap it appears that GSO-LGA is returning to AA/US.

I assume it's due to Piedmont's history there carrying over to today.
Why surprised? There is a huge populated area between CLT and GSO. If you are living in Concord or further up North it makes sense to drive to GSO for both extra hop/mileage as well as easy in/out of the airport compared to CLT. Had I not live so darn close (10 min drive) to CLT I would consider driving to GSO.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by iztok
Why surprised? There is a huge populated area between CLT and GSO. If you are living in Concord or further up North it makes sense to drive to GSO for both extra hop/mileage as well as easy in/out of the airport compared to CLT. Had I not live so darn close (10 min drive) to CLT I would consider driving to GSO.
Unless the CLT-GSO plane is delayed, thus backing up the GSO-CLT return flight and causing you to miss your CLT connection in the same flight bank. I once drove from Kannapolis to GSO to catch a GSO-CLT flight with a one-hour CLT layover, only to see the arriving flight was going to be delayed a lot more than they were announcing. I called CP desk and had them rebook my origin as Charlotte and then broke some speed limit laws (until running into rush hour traffic) to drive all the way back into CLT to catch my flight. I arrived the parking deck 35 min. before pushback and made it from the garage to my F seat in 9 minutes (thank you TSA pre-check).

So it's not like CLT has difficult in/out for elites. The extra mileage from GSO is nice but everything comes with risks.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by phlwookie
They are currently running a CLT-GSO most days (not Saturdays) with an A319, and that's either 83 or 85 miles depending on the data source used.
I stand corrected! Someone should update the Wiki on shortest mainline flight for US Airways.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Damn, never thought I'd see CLT-GSO on mainline again, that's vintage US Air right there! I did it in 1999 on a Fokker-100 after being rebooked LGA-GSO to LGA-CLT-GSO in F. A bunch of people boarding gave the 14 year old kid in F on the 83 mile flight dirty looks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.