Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shortest Mainline Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Upstateflyer
Haha ahh the good old days; too bad they wouldn't give you 500mi for that segment. I also remember ITH-SYR on the 1900 then enjoying the club in SYR while I connected, the old Empire routes! CO used to do ITH-BGM-EWR on the ATR in the early 1990's.
Again, not mainline, but I used to take CO's Dash 8 BGM-ELM, as well as US ACY-PHL on Short 360's and Beech1900's. Both routes 46 miles
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
BWI - PHL is flown mainline sometimes - that's 90 miles.
Done this one a few times, which seems silly but usually connecting or going from one meeting to another on the same roundtrip. Cheaper than renting a car, etc. Funny thing is that pre departure drink and snack basket was more consistent than longer flights.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by GoodOmens
BWI - PHL is flown mainline sometimes - that's 90 miles.
Years ago I flew that on the 757 when it had 24 FC seats. The snackbasket and drinks were all do pre-flight.

Ohhh, how I miss that configuration and the old 321 configuration.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by mileshound
Years ago I flew that on the 757 when it had 24 FC seats. The snackbasket and drinks were all do pre-flight.

Ohhh, how I miss that configuration and the old 321 configuration.
I flew it both on the 757 with 24 and the 321 with 26 seats. IIRC, the 757 would continue on to LAX as the same flight number after BWI-LAX was dropped.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Done this one a few times, which seems silly but usually connecting or going from one meeting to another on the same roundtrip. Cheaper than renting a car, etc. Funny thing is that pre departure drink and snack basket was more consistent than longer flights.
I just flew it. There's one 319 going out in the morning to PHL and it's the last flight back. We had a PDB and the FAs stayed seated the whole flight which was about 19 mins, wheels up. Makes me wonder why they don't use an RJ?

It's also the only flight that I, as a Silver, can get almost a guaranteed upgrade.
Old May 6, 2011, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by guv1976
US Air regularly flew ITH-ELM and ELM-ITH with DC-9's and 737's in the 1970's and 1980's. Thirty-two miles, according to the Great Circle Mapper. These flights were sometimes part of a PIT-ELM-ITH-PIT, or PIT-ITH-ELM-PIT flight.
That still existed into the 90s with DC-9s. I don't think we got above 10,000 on the ELM-ITH segment.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Makes me wonder why they don't use an RJ?
I always figured is was because it's timed with the international bank of flights.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: US Airways Silver
BDL to PHL has 737 service not the shortest, but still pretty short. Impossible to clear an upgrade as a silver though.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:53 am

i did the sfo-oak a few times back in the early 90s. was an 11 mile flight that on a bad day took 45 minutes from lift off to landing. Still better that the bus.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
There was one daily A319 on CLT-GSO during the last furniture market. 85 miles.

There's also plenty of CLT-RDU flights, and at least one E190 on PHL-LGA in addition to the aforementioned PHL-BWI.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OGG-KOA, 88 miles and in a 777.
Old May 7, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Often1
OGG-KOA, 88 miles and in a 777.
Wrong airline, dude. But since we're straying off course a little, I'll add that I used to fly Piedmont's ROA-LYH route back in the late 1970s. It was a whopping 43 miles and was on a 737-200. It generally continued on to RIC, but depending on schedule changes, would sometimes continue direct from LYH to LGA.

Now THOSE were the days my friends.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I did some searching and it looks like I'm taking the current shortest mainline flight on US from BWI-PHL at a whopping 90 miles in an Airbus A319. I notice it has a better on-time rating then the Express flights plying the route and needs to sometimes do a few curves in its route to eat up time. It also doesn't use the F terminal gates - which is important since I have a 46 minute connection to an SFO flight with just a backpack.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I did some searching and it looks like I'm taking the current shortest mainline flight on US from BWI-PHL at a whopping 90 miles in an Airbus A319. I notice it has a better on-time rating then the Express flights plying the route and needs to sometimes do a few curves in its route to eat up time. It also doesn't use the F terminal gates - which is important since I have a 46 minute connection to an SFO flight with just a backpack.
They are currently running a CLT-GSO most days (not Saturdays) with an A319, and that's either 83 or 85 miles depending on the data source used.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
That's right- I've flown on it a couple times now GSO-CLT. Nice to have such a large aircraft even for a short flight, and it's always been packed to the gills when I've flown it. Makes for an easier upgrade to F with the extra seats. AFAIK, there are now two regular weekday flights with A319s on this route- an early morning departure GSO-CLT as well as an afternoon turn. One plane overnights there to operate the 7:30am departure after flying in from CLT the night before.

Speaking of GSO-CLT, it seems to be a very elite-heavy route. Upgrades as a gold are typically not easy for this short flight. I always see long lists of names on the upgrade standby list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.