Search

Free Club Membership for a 'year'?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:15 am
jff
Original Poster

Programs: usairways
Free Club Membership for a 'year'?

I had the opportunity (?) to hit 150 segments last year. So last December I called the chairmans line to see if the free club membership was tacked on to the end of the current paid membership I already had. Chairmans people did some checking and said yes and I ending up flying a few more segments. Yesterday I receive a club card that starts immediately so it overlaps my current club membership. The club management said that the people at the chairmans line were wrong - 'sorry'. So .. again they reach in to my pocket and take away some months of club membership that I paid for. So .. if you get close to a free membership be careful.. you probably will NOT end up getting a free full years club membership and the extra cost may not be worth it when you end up losing some of your paid club membership time... I would not have flown the extra segments had I been told the truth..
Old Jan 21, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
When you reach 150 segments, you are shortly thereafter given Club access, which is valid for the rest of the calendar year, and until Feb 28th 2 years ahead. So if you get your 150th segment say on Sep 12th 2011, within a week or two you will be granted Club access until Feb 28 2013 (the end of your Chairman's status for 2012, which you achieved on Sep 12-2011).

There's no tacking on to your current membership. The CP desk was wrong.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...chairmans.html

What that web page doesn't mention is that it's active soon after reaching 150 segment (first hand experience here).

HTSC

Originally Posted by jff
I had the opportunity (?) to hit 150 segments last year. So last December I called the chairmans line to see if the free club membership was tacked on to the end of the current paid membership I already had. Chairmans people did some checking and said yes and I ending up flying a few more segments. Yesterday I receive a club card that starts immediately so it overlaps my current club membership. The club management said that the people at the chairmans line were wrong - 'sorry'. So .. again they reach in to my pocket and take away some months of club membership that I paid for. So .. if you get close to a free membership be careful.. you probably will NOT end up getting a free full years club membership and the extra cost may not be worth it when you end up losing some of your paid club membership time... I would not have flown the extra segments had I been told the truth..
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Plat/UA Silver/MR Lifetime PP/Avis Pref Sel
Maybe the policy has changed. My experience was that they added a year on to my paid membership. I purchased a membership in Feb. '09. I reached 150 segments in Novermber '09. My membership was then extended until Feb. '11. Try checking with one of the agents at a club. They were able to verify my membership expiration date.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by jff
...I called the chairmans line to see if the free club membership was tacked on to the end of the current paid membership I already had. Chairmans people did some checking and said yes and I ending up flying a few more segments. Yesterday I receive a club card that starts immediately so it overlaps my current club membership. The club management said that the people at the chairmans line were wrong - 'sorry'.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jff ^

Unfortunately you were given wrong information over the phone. Since you relied on that info, maybe an email to the CP Desk would result in a one-time exception for you....doesn't hurt to try.

Originally Posted by sabruzzo
...My experience was that they added a year on to my paid membership. I purchased a membership in Feb. '09. I reached 150 segments in Novermber '09. My membership was then extended until Feb. '11....
That's correct. Your paid membership year nicely dovetailed with your award membership, which is for the following program year. From the CP link provided by HereAndThereSC above, (emphasis mine)
Members who fly 150,000 Preferred qualifying miles or 150 segments in a calendar year will receive a free Club membership for the following Preferred program year.
You actually had overlapping Club membership Nov '09 til Feb '10 because of the early courtesy start of the award membership (earned during calendar year '09 and in force for next program year of Mar '10 - Feb '11)
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: US-CP/SPG-Plat
I too had, like the OP, had a membership that got extended to Feb 2012 with the 150 segments last year - what is different and I am interested to figure out, is that I have my wife on my membership. I am guessing that hers will end in April (when mine was going to end) and I will need to pay the additional $225 for her membership - I wonder if they will prorate it since it will not be a full year.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sabruzzo
Maybe the policy has changed. My experience was that they added a year on to my paid membership. I purchased a membership in Feb. '09. I reached 150 segments in Novermber '09. My membership was then extended until Feb. '11. Try checking with one of the agents at a club. They were able to verify my membership expiration date.
Sabruzzo, your membership would have been extended to the same time regardless of whether a year was tacked on or if your club membership expired with your status since you purchased your club membership in February (when status also expires).

My club membership was set to expire in November 2010, I completed 150k miles in September, and got my club membership covered through February 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.