Wiki Posts
Search

Silver status for free?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
Silver status for free?

For the second year in a row I received an email from US Airways congratulating me on reaching Silver Preferred status when I barely flew them last year. By barely i mean just two RT from BOS>PHL and back the whole year....anyone else get "free" status like this?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; UA; Delta; SW; Hilton
Interesting...did you have Silver status with them in previous years?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:51 am
Suspended

Do you have a CP that you travel with? My family often seems to get a bump up to higher status. It is irrelevant, actually, because they never travel without me -- but still very nice of US Air to do it. (I guess they get extra bonus miles, that's nice). One year my wife had like 20k miles and they made her Gold. My son just made silver and he was under 20k. I would have nominated him otherwise, so again no difference (except I save a nomination).

I also think routes/fares that you fly make a difference.

But I'm sure we're about to get a crush of posts... "just made Silver/Gold/Platinum even though I was XYZ miles short." This is pretty standard, not sure what the metrics are but they do it every year.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: US Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Did you fly any other * alliance partners that deposit into US Air?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

nope, i travel by myself for business and no one in my family has status on any airline and i fly 95% of all flights on AA so no star alliance. Several years ago i was platinum on US, but with all the changes to the program and continued degradation in service i moved to AA for most of my travel.

Just seemed odd to me that they are just giving status away!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: Various
My daughter just received this as well. She was silver on US last year, but I moved all of her mileage credits to UA this past year, since we fly them more than US now, so she had 0 miles credited to US in 2010.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:11 am

I got the e-mail also! I only had 1 trip on US last year and 1 on Continental. 6 segments for about 4,000 miles. I had silver for 2010 because of a trip to India on United/Lufthansa in 2009. I have been gold or silver since 2006, I didn't qualify for 2009 but they only dropped me from gold to silver. My bet is because of competition from Delta at PIT, I made silver on Delta with their double mile promo from PIT.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Phish,
Did you get that email today? Hubby got his welcome to CP email this morning, but I didn't get mine. I actually made Silver with a few miles to spare, but no welcome yet. Gold would be nice......
Eileen
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:16 am
Original Poster

yes i got it this morning.......

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX,
Dividend Miles member: XXXXXXX

You made it!
Congratulations! It's our pleasure to welcome you on board as a Silver Preferred member for the 2011 program year. We know you have choices when you fly, and we truly appreciate that you choose to fly with US so often. On behalf of over 33,000 employees worldwide, thank you for being a loyal customer. We'll be mailing your new Preferred membership kit soon. We hope you enjoy being Silver Preferred.

Unlimited complimentary upgrades to First Class
25% Preferred mileage bonus on all US Airways and select partner flights
Priority check-in and Zone 2 boarding
No fees for your first and second checked bags*
$75 off an annual US Airways Club membership
All about Silver Preferred

Even more benefits coming in March
Preferred membership will be even more rewarding with new VIP offers and discounts from our partners, just for you.
Learn more about Special Dividends.

Being Preferred
For help with your reservations or your account, please call the Silver Preferred Desk at 800-748-1070 or send US an email.

Log in to update your profile and sign up for our 'news and offers' email. We'll send you Preferred offers and important program news.

Try the US Airways Club
Not ready to buy an annual Club membership? Buy a 90-day trial membership for only $120 instead. It's easy. Buy now.

Rack up Preferred-qualifying miles
We will convert 10,000 miles into Preferred-qualifying miles when you charge more than $25,000 on an existing US Airways Premier World MasterCard® during the year. Don't have a card? Apply today.

Special offers
You're Preferred and our partners know it! Get great discounts and lots of miles on cars, hotels, flowers and more!
All Silver Preferred offers.

Earn 3,000 bonus miles & get great discounts

Special discounts & double miles
Earn 20 miles for every $1 you spend and get 300 bonus miles

Thank you for flying US Airways!

Sincerely,

Fernand Fernandez
Director, Marketing Programs
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
Damn I don't have any luck, I continue to be dirt to US.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta, US Airways, Continental, HHonors
I got it too....I was silver last year, and only flew a couple segments and an award ticket.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

i guess that is one way to keep your elite numbers up when doing investor days etc....just give it away!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mselizann
I got it too....I was silver last year, and only flew a couple segments and an award ticket.
I just got it too, I flew about 13K last year as SP. I wonder if it is some "glich" that their system will catch? Hard to tell until after Feb. 2011 when last years would expire. I am "cautiously" optomistic at this point....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cdepks
I just got it too, I flew about 13K last year as SP. I wonder if it is some "glich" that their system will catch? Hard to tell until after Feb. 2011 when last years would expire. I am "cautiously" optomistic at this point....
This same scenario happened for me last year so i doubt it is a glitch, but you never know!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
I have been Gold the last few years, but with travel down in 2010, I was only requalified for Silver. Imagine my surprise to find an email that US is making me Gold again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.