Wiki Posts
Search

Club renewal - grace period?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Club renewal - grace period?

My club membership is due to expire in early February, but I'm not going to be traveling for several weeks after the expiration. How long do I have after it expires before the membership is considered "new" and subject to the $50 initiation fee?

And is there a current renewal promotion? The 1500PQM offer I got in my email reminder appears to have expired on 12/31.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: American Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Diamond
I waited three months before renewing without getting hit with the initiation fee. I renewed in December so I got the 1500 miles the very next day.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I was under the impression that once you have been a member, you will never technically be considered "new" again.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
What's the use of the initiation fee to begin with?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
To the OP, I am not sure whether you are delaying your renewal in order to extend your membership expiration date but I suspect that a delayed renewal will not accomplish this. Or perhaps you are just trying to determine when the initiation fee kicks back in. I am a first year club member myself and am interested in the answers.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:35 am

Why not go with an AMEX Platinum? For $450 you get access to USAir, American and Delta Clubs plus FHR program.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by jes999
Why not go with an AMEX Platinum? For $450 you get access to USAir, American and Delta Clubs plus FHR program.
There are pros and cons to the Plat card. Except for the US Airways Club the others require you to have a ticket on their airline to use their club (i.e., You need to have a Delta ticket to use the Delta club).

The US Airways card allows you entry into the United and Continental clubs w/o needed a United or Continental ticket.

It really depends on where you are flying and what clubs are located at those airports.

(At least this is how I understand it when reading the benefits of the AmExp Plat card. I believe there is a 50K point bonus if you get the Plat card.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.