Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Travelpro Crew 8 22" Rollaboard - Doesn't Fit Wheels In on US mainline aircraft?

Travelpro Crew 8 22" Rollaboard - Doesn't Fit Wheels In on US mainline aircraft?

Old Jan 4, 11, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

Hello,

My girlfriend travels about 75% of the time for work and just bought the TravelPro Crew 8 22" Rollaboard. It was highly reccomended by this Flyertalk Thread. She has zero status with US Airways so usually boards zone 4 or 5 unless she can get an emergency exit or bulkhead seat. She wanted a carry-on that would fit wheels in into the overhead bin, not sideways and carry her clothes for a week of travel. So far she is (1) for (3) overall and (0) for (2) on US Airways with this:
  • Delta 757 - Wheels in No Problem
  • US A321 - Wheels in did not work; had to turn sideways
  • US737-400 - Wheels in did not work; had to turn sideways

Do any frequent US Air travelers have any feedback or experiences with the Travelpro Crew 8 22". She is very frustrated that it is not fitting as others have experienced or how she has intended.

I have never on any mainline aircraft had my Travelpro Walkabout Lite Rolling Garment Bag not fit in an overhead in. However she did not want to get one of these because it 'seemed' too big for US Air to allow even though it fits fine and takes up roughly the same room as a 22" carry-on.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Beofotch
Old Jan 4, 11, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by beofotch View Post
Hello,

My girlfriend travels about 75% of the time for work and just bought the TravelPro Crew 8 22" Rollaboard. It was highly reccomended by this Flyertalk Thread. She has zero status with US Airways so usually boards zone 4 or 5 unless she can get an emergency exit or bulkhead seat. She wanted a carry-on that would fit wheels in into the overhead bin, not sideways and carry her clothes for a week of travel. So far she is (1) for (3) overall and (0) for (2) on US Airways with this:

Do any frequent US Air travelers have any feedback or experiences with the Travelpro Crew 8 22". She is very frustrated that it is not fitting as others have experienced or how she has intended.

I have never on any mainline aircraft had my Travelpro Walkabout Lite Rolling Garment Bag not fit in an overhead in. However she did not want to get one of these because it 'seemed' too big for US Air to allow even though it fits fine and takes up roughly the same room as a 22" carry-on.

Beofotch
On the airbus she needs to place it wheels out, not wheels in. If she has the expandable version and has it packed to the gills then it might be too tall and/or fat for the door to close even wheels out. Also avoid putting it right next to the inside joint of the overhead.
Old Jan 4, 11, 7:20 pm

Programs: None
I agree with GW. I've traveled with the TravelPro 22" suitcase many times and never had it not fit in the OHB's on mainline equipment (though I still haven't ridden an E190 with the smaller OHB's). TravelPro has changed the design since I got mine, though.

Jim
Old Jan 4, 11, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
I have a 22" Tumi and it does not fit in the overheads. It used to be the right size for carry-ons but I think with the newest rules it is actually over the allowed size. Most companies now are making a 20" bag which seems to be able to fit more easily.
Old Jan 5, 11, 12:34 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by neotope View Post
Most companies now are making a 20" bag which seems to be able to fit more easily.
^ My 20" Tumi T3 fits nicely on the mainline OHBs.
Old Jan 5, 11, 1:26 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
I have an older TravelPro Crew Series Plus 22" roller that has stood the test of time and as long as I don't over stuff it fits beautifully in every overhead bin including those in the CRJs (much to the humor of the inflight). It's just the right width that it slides right in!

Haven't tried it on a Dash yet, but so far the dashes don't fly anywhere I've been wanting to go. (Sure wish we'd start CLD back up again...)
Old Jan 5, 11, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by awaflyboy View Post
I have an older TravelPro Crew Series Plus 22" roller that has stood the test of time and as long as I don't over stuff it fits beautifully in every overhead bin including those in the CRJs (much to the humor of the inflight). It's just the right width that it slides right in!

Haven't tried it on a Dash yet, but so far the dashes don't fly anywhere I've been wanting to go. (Sure wish we'd start CLD back up again...)
For mainline aircraft - does it fit going in wheels or handle first or do you have to turn it sideways?
Old Jan 5, 11, 3:12 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
For mainline aircraft - does it fit going in wheels or handle first or do you have to turn it sideways?
If its going in the bin of CRJ, it is damn sure going sideways.
Old Jan 5, 11, 7:49 pm

Programs: None
For most of the mainline aircraft it should fit either wheels in or handle first. Having airplanes from the two manufacturers means the OHB's aren't the same shape so a little experimenting will determine whether it's wheels or handle first. The E190 is the lone exception - since it's just a stretched E170 I expect that it would have to go in sideways because of the smaller OHB's but I haven't ridden one yet.

Jim
Old Jan 5, 11, 8:38 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by MikeLaw View Post
If its going in the bin of CRJ, it is damn sure going sideways.
LOL, that's for sure! ALmost every flight I'm on with it, the FA's talk me up about the bag - they always seem to want to get one for themselves.

It fits in both ways for me.
Old Jan 5, 11, 10:55 pm

I used to fly for US Airways and on the Boeing aircraft, we would place the Travelpro suitcases wheels in and then use a pillow to prop up the bag so the overhead would close. Since there are no pillows now, wear a sweatshirt or jacket and use that, if needed.

As for the Airbus aircraft, the suitcases would fit wheels in but only toward the middle and back of the aircraft where the airplane was the widest.
Old Jan 6, 11, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
I had an older Crew 22" bag I used for many years, but after getting tired of it not fitting wheels or handle first in overheadh bins of various aircraft and having BA check it because it did not fit their sizer, I went with a 20" Crew 7 rollaboard that makes it so much easier to store. Unfortunately that's not much help to your girlfriend who already bought a 22" bag ...
Old Jan 6, 11, 7:31 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
Back in my early airline days I had a Travelpro 22" Crew 4 that I used and I never had problems getting it to go wheels in on any mainline AC. Someone mentioned using something to prop it up with,I can attest to that working with moderate success. That being said, I dumped the bag after about 7 month of use, as it is primarily a FA bag (yes im stereotyping) and I went with the Luggageworks Stealth 22". Built like and weighs as much as a tank, it has definitely held up very well, and it fits in the CRJ and Dash OHBs...
Old Jan 6, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Sorry this is OT

Originally Posted by awaflyboy View Post
It fits in both ways for me.
That's what she said.
Old Jan 7, 11, 7:54 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Dividend Miles, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold
Hello,

Beofotch
Sorry to hear of your troubles. See if she can return it (with a good explanation to TravelPro) and instead get the 20".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: