Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Travelpro Crew 8 22" Rollaboard - Doesn't Fit Wheels In on US mainline aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelpro Crew 8 22" Rollaboard - Doesn't Fit Wheels In on US mainline aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by neotope
I have a 22" Tumi and it does not fit in the overheads. It used to be the right size for carry-ons but I think with the newest rules it is actually over the allowed size. Most companies now are making a 20" bag which seems to be able to fit more easily.
My Tumi is 22x14x9, which is exactly US's baggage limit. It fits fine.

Size requirements

You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.

* Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I'm going to go with wheels up/out. My 20/22" Northface DoubleTrack and Pelican 1510 fit that way, on most Airbus/Boeing products. What surprises me is that some aircraft now have different sized bins port/starboard... that's an odd one!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
In my experience on numerous airlines worldwide, the 22" USUALLY fits in the overhead as follows.

MadDogs - Wheels in on the DEF side, sideways only on the AB side
Airbii - Wheels out in most configurations 320, 321; wheels in 330, 340
B737 - Wheels out rows 1-9; Wheel in rows 9-infinity and beyond. (The curvature of the aircraft stops and the fuselage is widest from row 9 and back.)
B757 - Wheels in
B767 - Wheels out rows 1-4 (11-15 on Asian carriers), Wheels in rows 5-infinity (16-and-on)
B777 - Wheels in
B747 - Wheels in lower deck, Wheel out upper deck
Embraer, barbie-jets, egg-beaters, etc. - gate check, please!

However, some airline cabin interiors and fittings are different (alternate vendor provided the fittings, older interiors, etc.), so there are the occasions when you are out of luck. Older 737 classics running overseas, for instance, often have smaller overhead bins. Finnair MD-11s had really small bins, then suddenly gigantic caverns when they re-fitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.