Wiki Posts
Search

US policy on carry on and extra bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

US policy on carry on and extra bag

hi

You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.

my extra bag = laptop bag , but is like : 45cm,40cm,25cm

Will this be a problem ?

thx in advance
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
This is what the website lists for carry on baggage. I have traveled with some large carry on bags over the listed limit and I have not had any problems. If you board in zone 1 or 2 you should not have any problems getting overhead storage space.

Carry-on baggage
Size requirements

You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.

* Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)
* Up to 40 lbs/18 kg
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If you mean the laptop bag plus ONE larger hand luggage, you're fine, as long as the laptop bag fits under the seat in front of you. If you mean one hand luggage, one purse/backpack/briefcase/other floor luggage, PLUS one laptop, then you will need to consolidate or check something. They've seemed quite strict with the one-plus-one bag rule lately and I'd not expect to scoot by unnoticed. That said, my laptop often goes inside my bigger rollaboard so I can take it and a purse.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by neotope
I have traveled with some large carry on bags over the listed limit and I have not had any problems.
Why would you knowingly travel with a carry on bag larger than the listed limits?? Especially knowing how limited carry on space gets... To me thats being selfish. Also, more and more you are going to find that larger bags wont get by the gate agents.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by neotope
This is what the website lists for carry on baggage. I have traveled with some large carry on bags over the listed limit and I have not had any problems. If you board in zone 1 or 2 you should not have any problems getting overhead storage space.
Have you thought the impact of this approach on those you board in zone 5 or 6?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dcpatti
If you mean the laptop bag plus ONE larger hand luggage, you're fine, as long as the laptop bag fits under the seat in front of you.
I've heard FAs say the "other bag must fit under the seat in front of you" rule, but I don't think I've ever seen it on the website or the CoC anywhere. Is there somewhere where they define the size of an allowable "laptop bag?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.