US policy on carry on and extra bag

 
Old Jan 2, 11, 1:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 53
US policy on carry on and extra bag

hi

You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.

my extra bag = laptop bag , but is like : 45cm,40cm,25cm

Will this be a problem ?

thx in advance
2stepsahead is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 1:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PIT
Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 639
This is what the website lists for carry on baggage. I have traveled with some large carry on bags over the listed limit and I have not had any problems. If you board in zone 1 or 2 you should not have any problems getting overhead storage space.

Carry-on baggage
Size requirements

You're allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item. Personal items include a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.

* Up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)
* Up to 40 lbs/18 kg
neotope is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 2:27 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Posts: 4,549
If you mean the laptop bag plus ONE larger hand luggage, you're fine, as long as the laptop bag fits under the seat in front of you. If you mean one hand luggage, one purse/backpack/briefcase/other floor luggage, PLUS one laptop, then you will need to consolidate or check something. They've seemed quite strict with the one-plus-one bag rule lately and I'd not expect to scoot by unnoticed. That said, my laptop often goes inside my bigger rollaboard so I can take it and a purse.
dcpatti is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 3:53 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 889
Originally Posted by neotope View Post
I have traveled with some large carry on bags over the listed limit and I have not had any problems.
Why would you knowingly travel with a carry on bag larger than the listed limits?? Especially knowing how limited carry on space gets... To me thats being selfish. Also, more and more you are going to find that larger bags wont get by the gate agents.
TiredOfTooMuchTravel is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 9:13 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by neotope View Post
This is what the website lists for carry on baggage. I have traveled with some large carry on bags over the listed limit and I have not had any problems. If you board in zone 1 or 2 you should not have any problems getting overhead storage space.
Have you thought the impact of this approach on those you board in zone 5 or 6?
bpmsmith is offline  
Old Jan 2, 11, 10:20 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: RIC
Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by dcpatti View Post
If you mean the laptop bag plus ONE larger hand luggage, you're fine, as long as the laptop bag fits under the seat in front of you.
I've heard FAs say the "other bag must fit under the seat in front of you" rule, but I don't think I've ever seen it on the website or the CoC anywhere. Is there somewhere where they define the size of an allowable "laptop bag?"
MikeLaw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: