Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: None
I think Mark is right when you book a US ticket for US flights, but I think the operating carrier's rules apply if you book a codeshare/*A ticket through the website. For example, you can book LGA-ORD on the US website but the operating carrier may be UA and your silver status doesn't get you an automatic upgrade on UA. Plus, even on US flights you may not get the upgrade if they're all taken by higher level elites.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:37 pm

Another Preferred Status Trial Question

I have a question about the Try Preferred Status on for Size program. I sighed up the end of December for Silver Trial and received my silver status right away. I have flown 4 segments already and have another 12 already booked for January. I know that when I have 10 segments I will maintain my silver status through February 2012, however if I exceed 10 segments will in continue to qualify based on the Trial requirements or would I need to buy up to that trial level? I will easily fly 30 segments in 90 days, so would I end the trial as a Platinum or just silver?

From the US Air Site:
Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum amount of miles on flights operated by US Airways to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2012.
• Chairmans: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:56 pm

You will continue to be able to be eligible for the other targets within your 90 day period.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
You will be PP if you fly 22500 miles or 30 segments, I went from Silver to PP because of this trail as well as double miles between perfered cities...

Originally Posted by wheelzUp
I have a question about the Try Preferred Status on for Size program. I sighed up the end of December for Silver Trial and received my silver status right away. I have flown 4 segments already and have another 12 already booked for January. I know that when I have 10 segments I will maintain my silver status through February 2012, however if I exceed 10 segments will in continue to qualify based on the Trial requirements or would I need to buy up to that trial level? I will easily fly 30 segments in 90 days, so would I end the trial as a Platinum or just silver?

From the US Air Site:
Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum amount of miles on flights operated by US Airways to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2012.
• Chairmans: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

Last edited by FlightNurse; Jan 8, 2011 at 12:35 am Reason: my fingers stopped working
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
You will be PP if you fly 22500 miles or 30 segments, I went from Silver to PP because of this trail as well as double miles between perfered cities...
To clarify this, only your BIS miles count, not double-ups, Club PQM's or other bonus PQM's. If you are not on the plane, US or USX only, the miles won't count in the trial.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
2 questions about trial preferred:

Question 1
i have a flight booked coming up in a couple weeks. If i call to sign up for trial preferred, will flights i already have booked count towards the requirements to keep the status?

Question 2
I do not have any travel planned between now and the beginning of February. I dont want to sign up for trial preferred now because i will waste 3 weeks of status/earning time as i dont have any flights booked. I want to sign up closer to my next flight, but want to ensure that i will have status in time for this flight. how far ahead of my next flight should i call to sign up to ensure that i am all squared away? how long does it take for your newly purchased status to reflect in their systems?

thanks all...
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:43 pm

I enrolled a day or 2 ahead of my first flight. My status was in the system right away. It did not print on my boarding pass, but the gate agent fixed it.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
When I did it it happened within 24 hours, but I'd give it 3 or 4 days. At least if something is wrong you have some time to fix it. You would hate for there to be a delay and your first 2 flights not count.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:15 pm

When I did it my status was updated immediately - it was showing on the website before I ended the call. However, as per the T&C "Only bookings made after member's status has been upgraded reflect member's new status."
I'm not sure how it works in practice - last time I did it, I booked my flights right after signing up.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
Trial ended in Jan 2011 -- preferred until Feb 2013?

My trial period ended a few days ago (1st week in Jan) during which I flew 12 segments. I just got an email from US telling me I qualified for Silver Preferred through Feb 28, 2013. Is this just a typo? Or could it be correct and the result of the system seeing me as qualifying for Silver in 2011 (rather than 2010)?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm a bit hesitant to call US and bring this to their attention. If I indeed have silver preferred until 2013 it might make a difference on where I credit my *A flying this year. TIA
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: US Air, United
The 90 day window

Thinking about buying up to Trial Preferred as I have a couple of cross country trips coming up. One on February 22-25 CLT-PHX- RNO and another CLT - LAX OW and SAN-CLT return May 13-20th. Since February is a short month, the time between these two trips, starting with the trip on 2/22 and ending with the return on 5/20 equals 88 days. I need the miles on the return to go over the 7500 mark.

So a couple of questions.

The way I read the rules, flights purchased before the Trail preferred will count as long as the BIS miles takes place during the 90 day period. Right?

Also the way I see it, I can not purchase the trial prefered any sooner than Februray 20 which would put me right at the 90 day mark on my return of 5/20. I worry that I will somehow get bumped or delayed and if I didn't fly until 5/21 I am out of luck. I may wait and purchase on 2/21 just to be safe, but would that risk that this Preferred trial might not have been finalized in time for the trip on 2/22 to count?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I think you need to read the rules, I went from silver to PP flying between PHX-STL (STL was a double mile city) and I'm currently PP. There are many posting talking about flying through or to a double mile city on a MR to get status.

Originally Posted by airgator
To clarify this, only your BIS miles count, not double-ups, Club PQM's or other bonus PQM's. If you are not on the plane, US or USX only, the miles won't count in the trial.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

CLT-PHX, CLT-LAX, SAN-CLT are tough upgrades for silver and or Gold. But do able if you possibly fly on weekends. PHX-RNO is a easy upgrade for Silver. Now if you want to upgrade for the emergency exit, remember that any flight out of CLT to your cities will be tough since some times even PP wont get the upgrades.

Originally Posted by cmckee1961
Thinking about buying up to Trial Preferred as I have a couple of cross country trips coming up. One on February 22-25 CLT-PHX- RNO and another CLT - LAX OW and SAN-CLT return May 13-20th. Since February is a short month, the time between these two trips, starting with the trip on 2/22 and ending with the return on 5/20 equals 88 days. I need the miles on the return to go over the 7500 mark.

So a couple of questions.

The way I read the rules, flights purchased before the Trail preferred will count as long as the BIS miles takes place during the 90 day period. Right?

Also the way I see it, I can not purchase the trial prefered any sooner than Februray 20 which would put me right at the 90 day mark on my return of 5/20. I worry that I will somehow get bumped or delayed and if I didn't fly until 5/21 I am out of luck. I may wait and purchase on 2/21 just to be safe, but would that risk that this Preferred trial might not have been finalized in time for the trip on 2/22 to count?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cmckee1961
I signed up for mine about 3 hours before my first flight of the 90 day period. The flight had been booked about a week earlier. The status not only showed up while I was on the phone but as there was availability in First the agent upgraded me as well. So I would think you'll be just fine if you sign up on 2/21 or even 2/22 in the morning before you fly.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Just because it happened once, doesn't mean it always happens. With any airline I would caution people from assuming it will happen to them. Mine posted within 24 hr of me signing up.

Originally Posted by justhere
I signed up for mine about 3 hours before my first flight of the 90 day period. The flight had been booked about a week earlier. The status not only showed up while I was on the phone but as there was availability in First the agent upgraded me as well. So I would think you'll be just fine if you sign up on 2/21 or even 2/22 in the morning before you fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.