Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Minor celeb kicked off US flight for not turning off blackberry + arguing with FA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor celeb kicked off US flight for not turning off blackberry + arguing with FA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,

http://www.tmz.com/2010/12/03/josh-d...gton-kentucky/

I might print this off and take it with me for all those DYKWIA types on DCA-LGA. I don't really care if the Blackberry will or won't interfere with the navigational systems. What I do care about is that they're a huge distraction, and a distracted pax in an emergency becomes a liability; 100+ distracted pax become that much worse. Try to have a little attention span, just till we're above 10,000 feet. Don't fight with the FA's over it.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I wouldn't call him a minor celeb. He did star in a fairly decent TV drama that ran for several years, been in a few movies. And he's married to Fergie.

He didn't follow crew instructions, that's the issue. The law is what it is, right or wrong. Simply flaunting it because you disagree is not the way to go about it, nor is not following simple crew instructions that are clearly not out of line.

I disagree somewhat with your argument. Yes, it's a distraction. But it's his choice to be a potential idiot. Equally distracting is a book - so people should put those away. In fact, so is the in-flight magazine and SkyMall catalog, so those should be distributed at cruising altitude and collected prior to landing. Don't see that happening and frankly hope we don't have to reach that level of nanny-state.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Can't stand Fergie, what a poor excuse for a pop star

However, Duhamel was in a fairly famous TV show and was one of the leads in the Transformers franchise. He's famous enough, acts like a p***k though
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sajgidda
Can't stand Fergie, what a poor excuse for a pop star

However, Duhamel was in a fairly famous TV show and was one of the leads in the Transformers franchise. He's famous enough, acts like a p***k though
This Dipsh*t Duhamel is from somewhere in the Midwest near my new "own Private Idaho" so naturally it was fodder for the local talk shows. Boyo Boyo were the locals tough on him.

I totally support the F/A as clearly the Dipshite in question was clearly wrong. If possible I'd like to so US file suit to recover their additional costs to return his jackass to the terminal. This crap goes on far to often. Failing that, how about banning his dead arse for a year?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sparrow_Hawk

I totally support the F/A as clearly the Dipshite in question was clearly wrong. If possible I'd like to so US file suit to recover their additional costs to return his jackass to the terminal. This crap goes on far to often. Failing that, how about banning his dead arse for a year?
That would be great if US and the other domestic carriers would do as you mention. If i recall correctly, havent there been instances of foreign carriers collecting from passengers for the costs of diversions they've caused?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
And to think I used to watch this guy's show every week! What a pompous, self-important idiot!!! The FA did the right thing...throw his prick a** off the plane! Let him answer to the TSA...I hope they had cause to strip search him and pat him down!^^
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
If this d-bag was sitting in F, did anyone get op up'ed?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
This had to be a US Express flight. No mainline between LGA and SDF/LEX. So, if had the pleasure of being on a CRJ, I hope he was in 13A next to the engine, and seated beside a POS. Inexcusable.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:56 pm

FA chiming in here -

Kicking someone off a plane for texting during a ground delay is more than excessive. Yes, it pisses me off just as much as anyone when someone won't get off the phone, but it comes to a point where you are simply informing/enforcing the rules, or picking on someone because they are a celebrity. I had a celebrity on my flight this weekend, and one of my co-workers was extremely rude to him - yes, he was on his iPad after door closure, but it was absurd on her end, to the point to where she was going out of her way to let him know she didn't give a sh*t who he was, etc...

I feel it was a poor decision. How many of you guys consistently text (hidden from the FAs, of course), after door closure? Add to it a ground delay, when normally the captain allows mobile phone usage? Power trip on the FAs part, and I'd say Mr. Duhamel is owed an apology...

And to clarify - yes - I am an FA, who is siding with the passenger.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: US Plat, *G, Delta GM, Marriott Rewards Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
FA chiming in here -

Kicking someone off a plane for texting during a ground delay is more than excessive. Yes, it pisses me off just as much as anyone when someone won't get off the phone, but it comes to a point where you are simply informing/enforcing the rules, or picking on someone because they are a celebrity. I had a celebrity on my flight this weekend, and one of my co-workers was extremely rude to him - yes, he was on his iPad after door closure, but it was absurd on her end, to the point to where she was going out of her way to let him know she didn't give a sh*t who he was, etc...

I feel it was a poor decision. How many of you guys consistently text (hidden from the FAs, of course), after door closure? Add to it a ground delay, when normally the captain allows mobile phone usage? Power trip on the FAs part, and I'd say Mr. Duhamel is owed an apology...

First, the story states that the FA asked the pax 3x to turn off the Blackberry. Second, I don't ever text after door closure unless an announcement is made or the turn off devices indicator goes off. Seriously, I wouldn't be able to pick Josh Duhamel out of a lineup. I doubt your everyday FA would be either, so I wouldn't infer that this is a case of making an example out of a "celeb."
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by jayball
First, the story states that the FA asked the pax 3x to turn off the Blackberry. Second, I don't ever text after door closure unless an announcement is made or the turn off devices indicator goes off. Seriously, I wouldn't be able to pick Josh Duhamel out of a lineup. I doubt your everyday FA would be either, so I wouldn't infer that this is a case of making an example out of a "celeb."
Although the guy sounds like a douche, is this really a big deal? Why is texting/calling after you land okay, but doing so while sitting around waiting to taxi is not? Heck, I use my iPod during landing all the time, once the FA's have cleared out of the cabin. As if I wouldn't be able to pay attention during an emergency, right. Being asleep is more of a threat than using a blackberry in that case.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:36 am

Luke:

My couple cents worth is that when the door closes or the FA makes the announcement, my stuff gets turned off.

Agree with the rules or not (another thread and beaten to death), I don't consider myself important enough to ignore or break them.

Of course, there are those in the world who are far more important, and far more entitled than I am. One never knows when that pre-flight text to one's broker may result in a world-changing windfall.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:27 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by swested
Why is texting/calling after you land okay, but doing so while sitting around waiting to taxi is not? Heck, I use my iPod during landing all the time, once the FA's have cleared out of the cabin.
The reasons the regs are there is irrelevant. But it's pretty evident that they want all devices off during taxi-out to take off so that they don't have to remind/ask people to do it again just prior to take off. And yes, everyone should be alert during certain phases of flight in case there is an incident requiring full attention and reaction.

As a passenger on a commercial airline, you are bound to the policies set by that airline and the FAA. What makes you feel as if you can flaunt the regs after the "FA's have cleared out of the cabin"?

If you want that kind of freedom, fly private. Then none of those encumbering policies will hold you back from living life to its fullest.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
FA chiming in here -

Really? I mean, REALLY?

Quote from the article:

One passenger tells us Duhamel was "very rude" and "taunting the attendant."

We're told the flight attendant asked Josh to turn off the device three separate times -- and on the third time Josh laughed at his request.

We're told Duhamel's reaction infuriated the attendant, who then called for backup -- and the plane, which was already on the runway, was turned back to the gate.
Not a ground delay, they were ready to take off. I don't think anyone owes Mr. Duhamel an apology. He was correct in apologizing to the other passengers for further delaying their departure.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
He didn't apologize. His "rep" says he's sorry.
He looks like a jerk and I would have no clue who he was. Even after seeing the pictures on the TMZ site I still have no clue who he is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.