Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways warm passenger cabins

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
Exactl HEAR HEAR! 100% agree. I get so fed up with airlines keeping the cabins so warm. I just sit there suffering horribly. I am not a large person nor am I sick or have any diseases. But I simply cannot tolerate the hot temperatures. I can only take off so many clothes ya know. While those of you that are cold can certainly add a sweater or drink a hot coffee or tea. Drinking something cold smply doesn't reduce my body temperature any.
But you also have cool air vent above your head. And they are pretty good with keeping people cool.
People who prefer warmer cabins don't have that luxury of space heaters in their seats...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
You'll never get a temperature that's equally pleasant for 200 strangers bundled into a metal tube together. My boyfriend and I can't even agree on the AC in a car. The best everyone can do is ask the FA's to make you more comfortable, understanding of course that there's times when they can't or won't honor your request, and know your own personal comfort level then dress and pack accordingly. I'm always cold and I usually bring my own blanket; the fella is always warm and usually travels in short sleeves even in dead of winter. But in any group of 200 (or even 2) you'll find some that are roasting, some that are freezing and some that are just right.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
Put me in the "Rather be cool than hot" camp!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
On long-haul flights, many airlines assume that the temperature should be warm to make passengers sleep more. I read a study from a sleep clinic at the University of Oregon that found that the perfect ambient temperature for sleeping was 16 degrees celsius or about 61 degrees Fahrenheit. Despite what we think happens, our body temperatures actually rise during sleep therefore many people use an arm or a foot/leg that sticks out from the covers as a sort of temperature gauge/releaser. Room temperatures above 18 degrees celsius or about 65 degrees is when sleep is disturbed and the length of sleep and depth of sleep is not as good. So, I printed an extra copy of this study and put it in my briefcase. When I am on a long-haul and it is just too warm, I hand it to the purser. Every time without fail, they turn down the temp and it's a comfy sleep for all. I wish it was online, but I haven't been able to find it.
I would love to know the conditions under which that study was conducted. I am perfectly happy to sleep in a 65 degree room - or even cooler - if I have a bed, pillows, and a 10-tog down duvet. Under ideal sleeping conditions, sure, cool is fine (the bigger issue is forcing yourself to get out of warm bed into cool air in the morning). On a plane, however, none of these ideal conditions apply: I do have a small down pillow I travel with that makes a big difference to how well I sleep on the plane, and I bundle up in the thin fleece blanket, two shirts, a Polartec jacket with hood, Polartec socks, and if I have to, a hat and a sweater - and sometimes I'm *still* cold. Some people just get cold when they're not moving. It's not a character flaw.

Insisting that those of us who are frequently cold on planes are wrong is really pointless. As someone else said, you're not going to get 200-300 people to agree, so you have to pick a middle-of-the-road temperature that's going to be tolerable for the biggest number of people. The outliers - which are who I suspect are mostly talking here - will have to adapt somehow.

wg

Last edited by wendyg; Nov 25, 2010 at 7:05 am
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by wendyg
so you have to pick a middle-of-the-road temperature that's going to be tolerable for the biggest number of people.
See I disagree with this. The fact is that you can always add layers. You can only remove so many. The logical argument here trumps a democratic majority/middle ground approach.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sts603
The logical argument here trumps a democratic majority/middle ground approach.
How you gonna get 'democratic majority' on the plane? By voting or by asking people who are hot to press FA button, so they can count hot vs. cold people?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by sts603
See I disagree with this. The fact is that you can always add layers. You can only remove so many. The logical argument here trumps a democratic majority/middle ground approach.
Makes sense on the ground but not so much in the air. Everyone's extra layers are in their luggage or at home. The casual traveler has a hard enough time getting their toothpaste into their Freedom baggies; the Art of Packing Extra Layers In Case You're Cold might be too much. Airplane blankets aren't coming back, which isn't a bad thing considering how germy those things have got to be.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I much prefer it cooler. BDL - CLT 11-24, cabin fluctuated in temp but lingurred on the warm side for a bit

I recall a thread from back in the day when US was charging for water... It seemed that more flights were warm, with anticipation that people would buy more.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I'd rather be hot than cold. Last weekend I was flying another airline and it was freaking cold. When you are hot you can remove layers and have something cold to drink. When you are cold you are on your own. South American airlines are still providing blankets by request. But even having blanket didn't help that much.
I agree. Hot is better than cold!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wendyg
that those of us who are frequently cold on planes are wrong is really pointless. As someone else said, you're not going to get 200-300 people to agree, so you have to pick a middle-of-the-road temperature that's going to be tolerable for the biggest number of people. The outliers - which are who I suspect are mostly talking here - will have to adapt somehow.
+1

I travel with layers of course, but there are only so many I can put on pratically. I do realize I am always colder than the average person, not just on a plane. But I hate being too cold on a plane, very uncomfortable!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by cwe84
I didn't say it was my way or the highway. Have you been on an Ejet? It has two settings 65 and OMG its hot. Besides cooler cabins means less vomit.
I have noticed that. I particularly remember one flight from BOS-PHL on a 190. The FA's were trying to balance the temp and just couldn't do it. One of them actually came on the PA and apologized and said, "We are working on the temperature in here, but apparently we can only either freeze meat or roast it, so we're doing our best". Got a good laugh out of everyone and lightened the mood.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

On two of my flights yesterday it was 50/50.
DCA-LAS flight was nice and warm, but my LAS-DCA flight was cold.
Temperature in Vegas was around 40. At the end of the flight there was a lot of coughing and sneezing pax.
Best way to catch a cold is to be locked with sick people in the flying tube.

Slightly OT. My DCA-LAS flight was operated by West aircraft N818AW still with old first class seats. I thought that all interiors were replaced by now. They are much better then new first class seats.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
But you also have cool air vent above your head. And they are pretty good with keeping people cool.
People who prefer warmer cabins don't have that luxury of space heaters in their seats...
The cool air vent was blowing hot air the other night.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
The cool air vent was blowing hot air the other night.
It was probably SO cold in the cabin that you thought that the air vent is blowing hot air
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Best way to catch a cold is to be locked with sick people in the flying tube.
what does that have to do with the cabin being hot or cold? being "cold" doesn't cause colds, either.

FWIW, most bacteria thrive in warm environments.

for those complaining about not having access to layers... bring a jacket! it doesn't count as a carry on...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.