Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How's the club at LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2001, 4:41 am
Original Poster

How's the club at LAX?

I have a long layover there on the way back from Australia with my connecting flight departing close to the USAir terminal. Is it worth using my free visit coupon to spend 2+ hours in there?

Yonatan
Old Jul 29, 2001, 9:27 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It's okay. Nothing spectacular, but not disappointing either.

Since the terminals at LAX are all seperated, once you are in Terminal 1(USAirways), there's not a whole lot to do. A few cheesy shops and eateries. Nothing like the Marketplace in PHL or the AirMall in PIT. So, if you have nothing better to do, then go hunker down for a little R&R. It'll be directly up the ramp to your left after you go through the security checkpoint. It's not directly adjacent the gates, so give yourself a little extra time to get to the gate before boarding begins.
Old Jul 29, 2001, 9:28 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Personally, I think so. It's one of the best non-hub clubs. I was able to sack out there for a brief nap while waiting for the redeye out. You'd much rather wait there than in the terminal since Terminal 1 is a zoo with all the WN and HP flights.

The club has 3 main seating areas, one fronts the window that looks out on the connector to a gate (and a window looking out to the gates and taxiway), then one in the tv area, and then one separated by the coffee and magazine station. The one separated by the coffee station is very quiet and has a lot of couches, etc.

The club is open all day, and is really only busy during the morning bank of departures home, the noon-2 bank, the late afternoon-early evening arrivals from the East, and the redeye departures.

Of course, my last visit was in July of 2000, and it is possible that they've renovated since. You're also close to the Gordon Biersch restaurant in the terminal, and of course, can wander to other restaurants in LAX. PHL is correct in that there's not a lot of there there in Terminal 1. You've also got a Brookstone, a Fox Sports Sports Bar, and a Mexican place (decent Mex food - think they're also at the Int'l Terminal). And really depending on how much time you have to kill, you may want to trek over to the other terminals. Some have some interesting restaurants, and I remember seeing a Laptop Lane-type of place (some competitor) over in Terminal 8 in United Shuttle hell). You'll already have seen the Bradley Int'l terminal - they've done a nice job with food court and mall side of it. Plus, there's the floor mural on the history of flight with the supposedely naked fellows over in American's Terminal 4. What's also amusing is the underground passage that connects T4 to T5 (and maybe T6). Not been updated at all, it's just an austere concerte tunnel running under the taxiways. You're staying in secured areas, so it's kind of cool. Make sure you get a chance to go over to the Encounter theme restaurant which is in that futursitic pod type thing in the center of the airport complex. Disney revamped it - and it's rather cool, plus you can head up to the obseration deck.

And if you have a lot of time to kill, you may want to get a rental car and venture out into LA - say over to Universal, or something like that. Don't know if you'd be able to catch a Dodgers or Angels game, but could be worth it.

If you're transiting between various cities with US Airways Clubs, you can buy a club pass at the other club for $35 and save your pass until you reach LAX. And of course, there's that multi-club day pass for $50.

Enjoy your trip to Austrailia - thinking I've got to try to do the same on Quantas (sp?) sometime soon.

[This message has been edited by CLTFlyer (edited 07-29-2001).]
Old Jul 29, 2001, 11:38 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I'd second the nice but not spectacular opinion expressed previously. I haven't noticed any substantial renovations for a while, but its a nice place to spend some time before or after a flight. I wish they'd open a little earlier; there was a mob outside waiting to get in at 6 am a couple months back.

And, as you all know, I miss the smoking section
Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:03 pm

Location: Tampa, FL , USA~ US-CP & Lifetime Club, DL-PM, CO-PE, UA-PE, AA-PLT, HH-G
I 3rd the not so remarkable comment above. The club is very early 1990's decor, kind of dark, but a quite place compared to the shared terminal with WN and HP. As far as staff stay away!! They are the Gestapo of coupon and segment patrols! The younger thinner women are ok, but BEWARE of the older heavy set two! They are notorious for alerting DM Service Audit of any and all unusual segemnts fares, stop overs etc.....Check in ELSEWARE! ALWAYS!! They are bored there and love DRAMA!

Enjoy!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:17 am

This is the most recent thread I've seen of this topic (other than the fact that the Club reopened after closing). Are there any updates on this Club? Anything to watch out for or be aware of?
Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:50 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Club is nicer than LAS/PHX, but not CLT/PHL-A. It is staffed by HP staff, not US-East. If you search further, you will find quite a few threads regarding its reopening that are a bit newer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.