Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways best merge partner is....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
US Airways best merge partner is....

With all of the consolidation going on in the industry, who exactly would make the most sense for US to merge / buyout? I'm by no means an expert, but it would make for interesting speculation and get different opinions from people on this board.

I guess you could rule out Delta, United, and Southwest. But what are the pros/cons for the other airlines out there? I know that one of the biggest obstacles out there is the labor situation that is still ongoing, but what are the other factors out there? I figure the major players would be: American, Alaskan, Frontier, Jetblue, Hawaiian (?)

Both Frontier and Alaskan have the most complimentary routes (i think), but Frontier flies Airbus (good?) and Alaskan has Boeing (not good?). Would US want the mainline and regional operation that Frontier has (through RAH)?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:00 am
Suspended

This is already being discussed in another thread.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
I'd like to see US merge with SQ so I can book award travel easier on SQ. If that is not possible maybe they will merge with EK that would be OK as well.

If US was going to merge with a American based carrier I would like to see them merge with UA.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
AA is the only logical one to completely reposition the airline from a scale perspective. The others would be marginal/incremental acquisitions, and probably not worth the effort, IMHO.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Personally I'd like to see a US/B6/HA combo. It would pretty much lock the northeast into a *A domination; with US in PHL/JFK/DCA/BOS and CO/UA in IAD/EWR. It would let US take over the caribbean and enter into south america, and would also bring in the lucrative asia routes that HA have.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:37 pm

US/NK
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
and would also bring in the lucrative asia routes that HA have.
Since the first one doesn't start till later this month, it's hard to tell how lucrative it will be...

Jim
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:57 pm

Not to sound snarky - but shouldn't we finish the last merger first ?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
AA is the only logical one to completely reposition the airline from a scale perspective. The others would be marginal/incremental acquisitions, and probably not worth the effort, IMHO.
I agree, would be nice especially if the would allow upgrades between airlines
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:24 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Don't Tell Anyone...

They are going to merge with Braniff (should take about 3-5 years to complete (-;
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
No one will merge with US until the airline can work as one airline....

Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
With all of the consolidation going on in the industry, who exactly would make the most sense for US to merge / buyout? I'm by no means an expert, but it would make for interesting speculation and get different opinions from people on this board.

I guess you could rule out Delta, United, and Southwest. But what are the pros/cons for the other airlines out there? I know that one of the biggest obstacles out there is the labor situation that is still ongoing, but what are the other factors out there? I figure the major players would be: American, Alaskan, Frontier, Jetblue, Hawaiian (?)

Both Frontier and Alaskan have the most complimentary routes (i think), but Frontier flies Airbus (good?) and Alaskan has Boeing (not good?). Would US want the mainline and regional operation that Frontier has (through RAH)?

Last edited by FlightNurse; Oct 2, 2010 at 12:03 am Reason: my fingers can't type correctly
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
You would think that with AA supposedly having some of the highest labor costs and US supposedly having one of the lowest, that a smart CEO could put something together by eying the middle ground. Obviously the unions are far too greedy to agree to anything, so a scenario where AA files for bankruptcy and US moves in and picks up the pieces, seems to be the answer. US appears to be earning cash and AA losing it, so only time will tell...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Since the first one doesn't start till later this month, it's hard to tell how lucrative it will be...

Jim
Jim, HA already flies successfully from HNL-MNL.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
Not to sound snarky - but shouldn't we finish the last merger first ?
Okay, but you better tell Parker that.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
A merger with HA would be essentially meaningless. There's no competitive advantage at all with a US/HA merger.

It's not even a secret that just about the only combination out there is US/AA in terms of real economies of scale. AA needs a domestic merger as much as US does. Both parties are probably loathe to each other -- and they are certainly NOT each other's first choice, but US and AA are the only two singles left at this dance party.

AA has historically denounced much of the old US. 'Twill be very interesting to watch this one play out. Like it or not, these two parties are surely in talks with each other as I type this -- what it eventually evolves (devolves?) into, we'll have to wait to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.