Wiki Posts
Search

New reason for flight delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
New reason for flight delay

So, I'm sitting on the plane in CLT and we are delayed a bit. Looking out the window, we saw a bunch of firetrucks and such. It turns out something happened with a wire near one of the runways and started a brush fire, closing the runway. That's definitely a new one or me. At least the captain was kind enough to explain the situation an allow us to use portable electronics.

I think I'll have to write a letter and ask for compensation
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I was coming home from somewhere in the Caribbean a few years back and we got delayed due to a herd of goats that had found their way through a hole in the fence and wandered out into the Tarmac. Too bad that was in the pre-cellphone days or I'd have had a great video for Youtube!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Was there a meal on that flight?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
So, I'm sitting on the plane in CLT and we are delayed a bit. Looking out the window, we saw a bunch of firetrucks and such. It turns out something happened with a wire near one of the runways and started a brush fire, closing the runway. That's definitely a new one or me. At least the captain was kind enough to explain the situation an allow us to use portable electronics.

I think I'll have to write a letter and ask for compensation
You obviously haven't been to Phoenix during the summer. Sometimes brush just spontaneously combusts!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
You obviously haven't been to Phoenix during the summer. Sometimes brush just spontaneously combusts!
I'd imagine it went... Cactus 48, Tower clearing you for the Visual Runway 25L Approach, follow the smoke signals over to Tower on 119.5 crossing the bushfire.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by formeraa
God? Is that you?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
My fav still is a PHX GDL flt cxld due to chickens on the runway. A truck that was either delivering or picking up about 5,00 chickens overturned on the ramp and the chickens escaped.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:42 am

Programs: US DM Chairman; Marriott Gold
Crazy Delay Reason

This was not on US. I had a meeting in Dallas so had to fly AA (not much choice SAT-DFW). Flying back on a totally full flight, we board and sit there for 30-45 minutes or so before the flight attendant comes on and lets us know that the captain was bitten by a cat before he boarded the plane and had to be taken to the hospital so we are waiting for a new captain...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: US CP
Mine was this past winter. We stopped for about 10 minutes just after power-up and moving forward away from the terminal, and the captain finally gets on to tell us [paraphrased], "ladies and gentlemen, you're in one of our newest and most technologically advanced planes, with an experienced crew and we'll make sure to use every resource to get you to your desitnation safely and on time. But right now we can't move forward because someone left a $0.50 can of soda in our path and they won't let us proceed until someone can come out and pick it up."
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Mine was Cusco to Lima where the airport shut down for the day because striking teachers were burning tires at the end of the runway to protest low salaries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.