Status change in the middle of a reservation?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Status change in the middle of a reservation?

So in a few weeks I will make platinum thanks to H/S/J. I will make it on a Monday and have a return flight at 10 something from PDX to CLT. I know from past experince that the system will show me as gold because that is what I was when I booked, is there any way to call and have this changed for my return flight.

I know I have seen this mentioned, but did not find anything current when searching.

TT
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
The system isn't going to update quick enough for you to update your status that same day. That said, I may not be reading your situation correctly.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
When I qualified for Platinum I was arriving CLt at 0600 and departing on another flight at 1900. My status had updated when i checked for the return, though i did not see that on my DM account status. I was seriously surprised though it made minimal difference since i was in F anyway.

When I qualified for CP it was a different story with on-off-on-off-on over a period of a few weeks. Some confusion because i initially had qualified with Trial Silver.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: US Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
We had a similar status change mid-trip from gold to platinum. On our return trip the flight was delayed significantly. The airport ticket people didn't have the change and things looked grim but customer service via telephone had the change to platinum. We handled everything over the phone with them. Instead of being forced into a 5am flight with a tight connection the platinum desk found good connections with good FC seats.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
i was actually wondering this myself... on my flight on Monday I will be over the next hurdle and hoping that will give me the F upgrade on the way back on Friday

let us know what happens tho
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by geo1005
The system isn't going to update quick enough for you to update your status that same day. That said, I may not be reading your situation correctly.
Not the same day, I will fly in on a Sunday(I said Monday origanly)and make Platinum, then I am flying out again Late Thursday night on the Red Eye. I am hoping I make F on the Red Eye on Thursday night, I will technicaly be Platinum but the reservation will say gold due to the status I had when I booked it.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:36 am

Anyone know the situation for Silver? I will be flying from CLT to LAS and back over 4 days. I will get over the 25K mileage threshold on the first flight. The flight back has lots of FC seats, so I'm wondering if I qualify for an upgrade.

Thanks FT'ers and Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by phisher4
Anyone know the situation for Silver? I will be flying from CLT to LAS and back over 4 days. I will get over the 25K mileage threshold on the first flight. The flight back has lots of FC seats, so I'm wondering if I qualify for an upgrade.

Thanks FT'ers and Merry Christmas!
It usually takes the US system 2 days to post flights, then another 1-2 days for status updates to take place.

So long as that happens prior to your return flight, and there are seats left in F, of course you would qualify for an upgrade.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
It usually takes the US system 2 days to post flights, then another 1-2 days for status updates to take place.

So long as that happens prior to your return flight, and there are seats left in F, of course you would qualify for an upgrade.
Thanks for the reply! Does anyone have actual experience with this scenario or something other than speculation?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by phisher4
Thanks for the reply! Does anyone have actual experience with this scenario or something other than speculation?
It isn't speculation. Your status changes when the miles post, not when you're done flying them. And your upgrade eligibility is based on your status; if you suddenly go from no status to having Silver within a couple days of the flight, you become upgrade-eligible.

And 48 hours is the norm; I was CP this year so didn't get any "you've earned a higher status" mails when passing through the Silver, Gold and Platinum thresholds, but I do get the "you've earned Special Dividends" emails about two days after the flight on which I passed those mileage thresholds.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
It isn't speculation. Your status changes when the miles post, not when you're done flying them. And your upgrade eligibility is based on your status; if you suddenly go from no status to having Silver within a couple days of the flight, you become upgrade-eligible.

And 48 hours is the norm; I was CP this year so didn't get any "you've earned a higher status" mails when passing through the Silver, Gold and Platinum thresholds, but I do get the "you've earned Special Dividends" emails about two days after the flight on which I passed those mileage thresholds.
Thanks for the reply, although only some of what you said ended up being true.

The sequence of events in my case was: flew PHL to LAS -> miles posted 1 day later with no Silver status notation -> 1 day elapsed -> Silver status noted -> upgrade received on transcon flight from LAS to PHL.

Bottom line: it is possible to be upgraded on the return portion of a round-trip if you transition to elite status mid-trip.

Needless to say, I was very happy with the result. Hope this data point helps!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.