Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beergolftile
^^ makes little sense to fly another airline when 90% of your airport's flights are US. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Yeah, I could fly another airline and add 2xs to all my travel. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't like my HOA either, but I have to use them because I have little/no choice.

I guess because I don't like the way the government is run, I should move to Canada too?
You have options in each situation.. Are they the most ideal, no.. But are they options, yes.

With that said, i really get a kick out of people that post on here with any airline that all they do is complain. If something bothers you that much, then go out of your way to avoid it or stop complaining about it. Just like I hate WN and will always go out of my way to avoid them even if means adding on to my travel time.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
Thats why when looking at upgrade space, I look at each individual flight not the trip as a whole. If you are next in line for the upgrade on the PHX/LAX flight, youll get it as long as it remains available. It doesnt matter what MDT/LAX shows, just what PHL/LAX shows.
thanks

I did get the email this morning saying there was no upgrade available on my return flight next week, but nothing about my outbound flight. However, a bit perturbed that all F class is full and there was 6 open seats last night at 2am
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by beergolftile
^^ makes little sense to fly another airline when 90% of your airport's flights are US. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Yeah, I could fly another airline and add 2xs to all my travel. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't like my HOA either, but I have to use them because I have little/no choice.

I guess because I don't like the way the government is run, I should move to Canada too?
Sorry to hear you. CLT is actually one of the most ridiculous fortress hubs in the country. In 2005, 72 out of 85 gates were US Airways. One best way to do it is to fly out of CLT as US, put all the miles in CO/UA and you are good to go.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by bossku69
thanks

I did get the email this morning saying there was no upgrade available on my return flight next week, but nothing about my outbound flight. However, a bit perturbed that all F class is full and there was 6 open seats last night at 2am
Is that A321 or A320/A319? If it's the former, then you might still be able to play around GoGo. If not, then I'd suggest you pick the best exit seat and sleep tight.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
So I took a chance yesterday to see if an unusual upgrade scenario would work...and it did. Here's the story.

Over the weekend, I flew US and the miles moved my status from Plat to CP. I'm flying this coming weekend, Nov 5 and 7.

Miles from my trip on Oct 30 completely posted on Monday morning, then 'double up' miles on Monday afternoon. When I last checked Monday night, my status still showed Plat, but my PQM for 2010 were around 100,500. On Monday morning, I received the upgrade email for my Friday flight, 4 days out for a Plat (and the email was good news).

Tuesday morning, I logged in, and my status had changed to CP, but there was no upgrade email. I resisted the urge to call in to ask about upgrades for my Sunday Nov 7 flight, 5 days out. I saw that there were still upgradeable seats in F, so if nothing else I'd get it this (Wed) morning (4 days out as a Plat).

But to my surprise, yesterday afternoon, around 4pm, I got the email that my upgrade was confirmed.

So evidently the system does work, even when status changes happen. Normally, according to the US website, CP upgrades would happen 7 days out, but even though my status changed in there, the system still found me. It did require being patient and resisting the urge to call though.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: US Chairman, HH Diamond
No upgrade even though one spot available in First class

I'm a chairman and have a flight a week from today. I got my usual email notification this morning and it said that there were no upgrades available. I went online to check for available seats, and it still shows one available in first. This hasn't happened to me before. Any other time that I wasn't upgraded, I could see that all seats in first were booked. Could this be a glich in the system?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Just because one seat is available doesn't mean it's available for a complimentary upgrade. They're probably holding it for purchase. The closer to departure it gets, it may get released.

Also, is the seat available for purchase, or does the seatmap just show an empty seat? If it just shows an empty seat, and isn't available for purchase, it just hasn't been assigned.

Good luck on the upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat
This happens all the time. Not a glitch.

Just because a seat is available for purchase does not mean that it has been made available for upgrades. Unless someone buys that seat, you'll likely get it over the next day or two when the inventory is released (provided that you're the first Chairman in line for it).
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by USFlyer26
Just because one seat is available doesn't mean it's available for a complimentary upgrade. They're probably holding it for purchase. The closer to departure it gets, it may get released.
+1. And once it get to less than T-24, I don't think status counts for anything anymore...the way I understand it, check-in order becomes the determining factor. Not sure if this is an instance where a Club membership will pay...uhm, "dividends." A couple weeks ago, a Club Saint was able to get that last seat released for me, about 60 minutes prior to departure.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:53 am
Suspended

I don't know where you got that ridiculous idea but at T-24, the order is:

1) Status
2) check-in time

Thus status still is the main factor and check-in only determined to break ties between status. If it sees 2 seats, and there are 3 CP on the flight, those seats go to the first 2 CP to check in -- if you are below CP you never have a chance.

And FWIW as far as US holding seats, this is GOOD for CP and other elites because although the 7-day upgrade is nice, it's nice to know you can buy a ticket 2-3 days before flight and get upgraded automatically without having to worry that a PP/GP/SP got your upgrade just because you waited. I wouldn't be opposed to releasing all upgrades at 24 or 48 hours, similar to UA, but I think the 7 day window is a nice marketing tool for US.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by masonuc
I don't know where you got that ridiculous idea but at T-24, the order is:

1) Status
2) check-in time

Thus status still is the main factor and check-in only determined to break ties between status. If it sees 2 seats, and there are 3 CP on the flight, those seats go to the first 2 CP to check in -- if you are below CP you never have a chance.
What system are you talking about?? This is not how it works so close in. What you describe with points 1 and 2 is how the upgrade list at the airport is managed not anything else. Also, the "system" so close in stops automatically processing upgrades (as in it doesnt do the sweeps like at the upgrade windows). Why do you think phone agents are allowed within 48 hours to manually process upgrades when outside of 48 hours they arent?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:23 am
Suspended

So are you claiming that within 48 hours of departure, upgrades are basically random and a matter of sweet talking and check-in time?

I am CP and somehow manage to get upgraded 99% of the time, even if the 7-day window doesn't clear (probably 66% of the time) and even if I don't check-in early 24 hours in advance.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Upgrade system working just fine

I am flying PHL-TPA on Saturday and TPA-PHL on Monday. Party of two (CP and GP). I got the "your upgrade is confirmed" email for both flights seven days out. So all appears to be working just fine. I know sometimes the seats are not released for UG until nearer the flight date but FC was wide open on both of these flights. Also, there were some posts about a party of two being better off as a preferred and non-preferred travelling together rather than CP and GP as we are, but all worked just fine. I also realize that PHL-TPA is a relatively easy upgrade to get but for me, all seems to be working just fine. Of course, YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by masonuc
So are you claiming that within 48 hours of departure, upgrades are basically random and a matter of sweet talking and check-in time?

I am CP and somehow manage to get upgraded 99% of the time, even if the 7-day window doesn't clear (probably 66% of the time) and even if I don't check-in early 24 hours in advance.
I'm not claiming anything... I'm just stating how the system works.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

My understanding is that the upgrade works like that:

1. Status
2. Number of BIS miles from pervious year.

So if you have two CP and one seat 2 days before the flight, and the sweep is initiated by the system. CP with higher number of miles from the previous year will get the seat automatically.

I never ever check in online. I usually check in 60 minutes before my flight at the airport.
I don't think check-in time has anything to do with upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.