Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
Hi,

I am traveling with a companion on Sunday on the same reservation to CUN. There are still 12 seats left in F. I have not received any notice yet regarding an upgrade. How far out do they upgrade for silver status/

TY

ML
Tomorrow (T-2 days).
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
For Silver its T-1 day, Gold T-2, Platnium T-3 and Chairman T-4. So on Sat you "should" get a notification of an upgrade if one is there. But if you don't, when you check in on line, you will be asked if you like to be placed on the upgrade list, which I highly suggest you do that. It seems US does not automatically place its elite members on the stand by upgrade list.

Good luck

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
Hi,

I am traveling with a companion on Sunday on the same reservation to CUN. There are still 12 seats left in F. I have not received any notice yet regarding an upgrade. How far out do they upgrade for silver status/

TY

ML
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Thank you flightnurse for your quick reply.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
For Silver its T-1 day, Gold T-2, Platnium T-3 and Chairman T-4. So on Sat you "should" get a notification of an upgrade if one is there. But if you don't, when you check in on line, you will be asked if you like to be placed on the upgrade list, which I highly suggest you do that. It seems US does not automatically place its elite members on the stand by upgrade list.

Good luck
These are actually wrong. The correct timeframes are 2,3,4, and 7 days prior respectively for Silver,Gold,Platinum, and Chairman.

Preferred Upgrades

You should get an email tomorrow stating upgrade cleared or not yet.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:16 pm

Thank you

I will let you know how I make out.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:02 am

Upgrade gnome came to visit today. Have not received an email yet, but checked website and yes we were upgraded. Thank you everyone for your info.

ML
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So I had a weird experience today...

I'm on a PHL-LAX redeye next week and was doing seat selection on the USair website yesterday evening at work. The website was acting glitchy as hell with errors and whatnot and when I tried booking a nice open exit row seat I got this error saying that only people with preferred status can book exit rows (I'm silver fyi and was logged into my DM account on the website).

I had to run so i just killed my monitors and left my computer up and the seat selection screen open.

So i get into work this morning a when i turn on my monitor i see my itinirary up and im in row 1.

I'm way outside of the silver upgrade window too.

Can anyone figure that one out or did the website just glitch out and I got lucky?
Old May 13, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
For the first time in years I made a reservation for travel in less than a week. I made the reservation today, Friday, for travel Monday. The 7 day and 5 day CP and PP sweeps have already taken place. Now how does it go? As CP will I sweep with the GP's today or with the SP's tomorrow? With any priority? Am I out of luck? Thanks.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I believe the sweep will capture you tonight and you will have priority over PP GP and SP if there is an upgrade available. Let us know tomorrow morning.
Old May 13, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: US C.P.
That is correct. It has often happened to me where I book in the morning, and in the evening, I have been upgraded.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
The follow-up:
Purchased ticket Friday 11:17 am.
Travel outbound Monday (2 segments) and return Wednesday (also 2 segments) - sweep days 3 and 5

Received email posted Friday at 9:38 pm upgrading 3 of the 4 segments, 1, 3 and 4.
Received email posted Saturday at 5:39 am showing UG still not available for 4th segment, #2.

Probably a common difference but one that I have not seen before though. Usually I get the first email showing the outbound only and showing both (in this case) segments. If one of them was not available I will then get a later email showing the updated upgrade info on the previously not-upgraded segment but the previously upgraded segment would not show. The same pattern would then follow for the return at the proper windows.

This time, however, both emails showed all 4 segments, the RT, with a notation the the 3 UG legs had already been UG'd or F purchased. I don't know if this is a reflection of all segments being in the same window or if this is a change. Not a factor either way, just interesting.

I realize the risk of attempting to apply logic to US IT, but I am guessing that I was thrown into the gold window but had priority over them. What I can't guess at is whether they run daily sweeps for non-UG's. In other words, If a CP does not get UG at the 7th day will they run CP's again at day 6 before PP's at day 5 and then again if necessary at day 5 with the PP's. Previous email patterns tell me that this is not the case and if the first statement is correct regarding priority then it really shouldn't matter.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by airgator

I realize the risk of attempting to apply logic to US IT, but I am guessing that I was thrown into the gold window but had priority over them. What I can't guess at is whether they run daily sweeps for non-UG's. In other words, If a CP does not get UG at the 7th day will they run CP's again at day 6 before PP's at day 5 and then again if necessary at day 5 with the PP's. Previous email patterns tell me that this is not the case and if the first statement is correct regarding priority then it really shouldn't matter.
I believe they run sweeps daily. I have received upgrade not available emails on day 7 and then upgrade confirmed messages on day 6.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
It is all one sweep; there is no separate PP or GP sweep. The one sweep runs and it processes people based on status. So if the PP window is open, half the PP get upgraded, and a CP buys a ticket, the next day's sweep when the gold window opens will hit the CP first, the remaining PP and then move onto the golds. The sweeps run more than once a day--- I *think* it's around 4 times a day based on the patterns I see but that's not a scientific number. There may be more sweeps but we don't realise them after the first one goes, because we don't get an email for every failed attempt, only for the first failed and the success.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:02 pm

Upgrade Process

Does someone know the answer to this upgrade example:

There are 2 people on a PNR, 1 person is Gold. The Gold upgrade window is processed, there are 4 seats available in first class but none of the seats are together. Will the system process the upgrade for the 2 people if there are no seats side-by-side?

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: None
I believe so but someone else would could have a better answer that me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.