Search

Upgrades Getting Tougher?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, AMEX Plat
Upgrades Getting Tougher?

All,

I'm Chairman Preferred and fly the same route (BNA/CLT) on a consistent basis. I'm always upgraded at the first possible part of the upgrade window (7-days, of course). Flight for next week isn't upgrading, but shows at least 7 open seats in first, and isn't even availalbe for mileage upgrade.

Seems strange. Thought I would ask the experts. Comments?

Thanks.
Tim
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by tstafford
All,

I'm Chairman Preferred and fly the same route (BNA/CLT) on a consistent basis. I'm always upgraded at the first possible part of the upgrade window (7-days, of course). Flight for next week isn't upgrading, but shows at least 7 open seats in first, and isn't even availalbe for mileage upgrade.

Thanks.
Tim
Sometimes seats that show as open aren't available for upgrade, it all depends on whether or not US Airways chooses to release upgrade eligible seats. Whenever this happens to me, I just call in (especially if I didn't get an email stating that the upgrade didn't go through) and see if they can force an upgrade.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I've called and the answer is that no seats are available for upgrade regardless of whether it's a preferred or miles upgrade. The strange part is that I've never seen this happen on this flight, so I was wondering if USAir is getting less generous about releasing the seats. Are others not getting upgrades they are accustomed to getting?

I've had no success since the computer changeover at getting them to force upgrades - not that I haven't tried .
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Thanks. I've called and the answer is that no seats are available for upgrade regardless of whether it's a preferred or miles upgrade. The strange part is that I've never seen this happen on this flight, so I was wondering if USAir is getting less generous about releasing the seats. Are others not getting upgrades they are accustomed to getting?
I am also CP and I generally get the upgrade around T-5 or T-4 days rather than T-7 so all hope is not lost yet!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
I haven't experienced a drop in UG's 57/57 in 2010...though I think you're right. What is happening is a greater variability as to when the UG processes. I have had UG's as late as the SP window at 2 days out. The good news, so far, is that they've all gone through.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Recently US seems to be holding back more F seats in hopes of selling them or having them in inventory for full Y or B fare upgrades. Eventually they get released.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
Recently US seems to be holding back more F seats in hopes of selling them or having them in inventory for full Y or B fare upgrades. Eventually they get released.
I should have mentioned that I have only missed one upgrade in 2010. It was on a LAS-PHL return on Labor Day as a party of two and there was a family of six in FC that purchased seats (taking 50% of the cabin).
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: US CP; Marriott G
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I should have mentioned that I have only missed one upgrade in 2010. It was on a LAS-PHL return on Labor Day as a party of two and there was a family of six in FC that purchased seats (taking 50% of the cabin).

That makes me sick to my stomach, I have been really good about getting upgrades to and from PHL. Assuming this was before LAS was declared "not a hub" I figure not being a hub helps your chances for an upgrade...
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. This has been helpful. Just caught me by surprise given my usual results.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Funny, I got my email this morning about my PHX-CLT redeye Friday night. I just assumed no, but it looks like they gave me the last seat in F, right at my gold window.
Now hoping for good news on my PHL-PHX the next day.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
As a CP, it's my opinion that the later the upgrades are processed the better. In fact I'd prefer not having windows at all and just processing everyone at the gate in order. But if they do that they can't assign seats for the people in Y who are going to take the seat being upgraded.

It's very unlikely that someone is going to buy the F seat out from under you (though there's some risk of a Y-up I suppose) and if you're like me and buy your seats at the last minute most of the time -- even better if no one has been processed yet.

Recently, they've even been good about holding one or two seats until the gate which has come in the clutch for those DCA-PHX flights purchased a day or two out.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I would echo the calling in comment. I just did it tonight for an upcoming flight. Sometimes it's just an IT issue. Direct flights (a connecting flight with the same flight number) or an itinerary involving an international flight sometimes gives you an "upgrade is not available message" even if first class is wide open.

Sometimes you can get lucky and get an upgrade that you would normally not get. I got a complimentary upgrade to Hawaii for myself and a companion on a non-Y/B fare when I was a silver preferred.

<Edit> I realized after posting that the OP tried calling already.

Crossing my fingers and hoping everything works out.

Last edited by ericcheung; Sep 14, 2010 at 9:07 pm Reason: re-read the original message and clarified
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Depends on route too. I'm Silver and have been upgraded 4/4 on the PHX-STL route. What is interesting tho, the PHX-STL usually has one or two open seats in FC, but STL-PHX is full.

All,

Thanks.
Tim
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Depends on route too. I'm Silver and have been upgraded 4/4 on the PHX-STL route. What is interesting tho, the PHX-STL usually has one or two open seats in FC, but STL-PHX is full.
Agree, I was 2/2 as a silver but I went out of my way to make sure there were fewer elites and fewer 1st passengers (which meant rerouting and off-peak times).
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Honestly, I appreciate the fact that US holds one or two F seats for last minute purchases. I am periodically called down to see a major client in CLT on about 24 hour's notice. Its a $1400 fare. I'm sure that revenue is appreciated and I appreciate the chance to snag an upgraded seat on the Y/B fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.