Wiki Posts
Search

Elite behaving badly

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Elite behaving badly

Camped out at the gate waiting for my flight. There is a couple sitting next to me who is *furious* that they do not have an upgrade. Fortunately it is a different flight than mine because I'd hate to hear the whinging all the way home!

They are on the same PNR and there is apparently only one seat left in the F cabin on this flight. I know this because she keeps calling US asking for her upgrade. I also know that she is unwilling to split the PNR and take the one F seat. She's been told at least twice that there is only one seat left in F but she keeps calling back. He does not seem as stressed over it as she does; he's talking at full volume on his phone (talking over her) about someone's golf trip. But she's doing the foot-tapping, eyeball-rolling, heavy-sigh routine as she waits on hold. When she hangs up, she goes to ask the gate agent. She's been to three gate agents already and she's not getting nicer. She's wearing out a path between her waiting-area seat and the gate.

She starts off each call to US with "I do not know what went wrong today but WE DID NOT GET AN UPGRADE." She's not got a nice tone of voice at all and seems to forget that they're not supposed to kick someone out of F for her.

If anyone has to wait on hold with US today it's probably because this lady is tying up all the agents.

When we first sat down and I could tell she was checking upgrade availability, I almost offered to look up her flight on ExpertFlyer for her but the eyeball rolling got very annoying, very quickly. Nobody wants to do you a favor if you're acting like a brat.

I hope some solo Elite finds a friend in the boarding area and asks for a gate upgrade so I can watch her head pop as she learns the one F seat has now been given to someone else (but then again I have a mean streak )
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by dcpatti
...There is a couple sitting next to me who is *furious* that they do not have an upgrade....
Discreetly peek at her BP and see what level Preferred she is....or better still, just ask her outright which Preferred Desk is not treating her right
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Oh dear indeed.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
She and Dear Hubby are both Silver. She likes to drop the name "Silver Preferred" as frequently as possible.

It's classy!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Ha, wow, some people just don't get it...please do everything in your power to get someone else sitting up there with you...and please do it with this woman in hearing distance...please film it and post to youtube...then please have schmoyoho autotune and cover her reaction.

Seriously though, what rationale could this woman possibly have to be upgraded. It seems like in her mind UDU means whenever she flies, its first class no matter what ticket she buys. Time for a wakeup call.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Is she on the flight to PBI?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by SS255
Is she on the flight to PBI?
To SS255....she's ALWAYS on that flight
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Was she wearing a bright yellow hat with DYKWIA written on the top? If she wanted to sit in first class so bad then why didn't she book her flight in first class anyway?

Delta747
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Delta747
Was she wearing a bright yellow hat with DYKWIA written on the top? If she wanted to sit in first class so bad then why didn't she book her flight in first class anyway?

Delta747
Because it costs more money, silly.

I remember when I first became Silver back in '07. I always felt foolish even asking if F checked in full. I just thought it was awesome to get upgraded for free every now and then*.

*It is still awesome.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly

I remember when I first became Silver back in '07. I always felt foolish even asking if F checked in full. I just thought it was awesome to get upgraded for free every now and then*.

*It is still awesome.
So true. I feel sorry for the gate agents. Now that everyone who bought a ticket on the last promotion, is a silver, it is crazier in the boarding area than ever. I was in CLT flying to PHX midmorning on a Monday, and there must have been 10 silvers berating the GAs about upgrades, and checking back at the desk 2 and three times to see if anything had `opened up`. Like you, when I was a silver (after flying 25,000 miles) I thought it was wonderful getting an upgrade on a late flight Wednesday between 2 not so busy points.

p.s. to Patti. I´m sure you were in F. Why didn´t you compassionately give her your seat. lol
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
DUH! Sorry I forgot I was posting this on Flyertalk! But as a FF you should not expect an upgrade but when you receive one it should be a surprise. And if you don't get one c'est la vie. This is a bad example of people on this site. And frequent fliers around the world.

Delta747
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: US1, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President
Well it is at all levels

Manners and good taste come in all packages. I am Chairman and was in back in center seat from SAN to PHL last week. I forgat to call chairman desk and complain but had a nice thing happen. FA named Martha came back and thanked everyone who did not get upgrade individually for there loyalty. I said thanks for stopping by and thankls for being a great employee.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:18 pm

As usual, some tools "jackassedness" gives me a chuckle. I just wish people went out of there way to thank people like Microtrack's FA Martha as often as they pull out the DYKWIA card to complain.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
She likes to drop the name "Silver Preferred" as frequently as possible.

Makes sense.

The higher my status has risen, the less I've wanted to publicize it. Not because I'm ashamed or anything; it's more like a sense of security.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:08 pm
Suspended

She and Dear Hubby are both Silver. She likes to drop the name "Silver Preferred" as frequently as possible.

It's classy!
Lately it seems like more and more there are plenty of low level elites that expect the world, behave badly, etc. Just like in my "trolling before posting" period on this site, I noticed a number of threads in which silvers were complaining or questioning the upgrade process. Why is that low level elites have a sense of entitlement that most higher level elites dont have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.