Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2010!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:55 am

When are thy going to announce this thing?

Are they going to wait until August 31st?

ralph
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Ok, need help

After reading the whole thread, I'm not too sure if I'm understanding the some of the ways of getting a hit.

So if I buy a box of pens from Staples, I'll get 1 hit? Right? How many times can I order from Staples to get the one hit? Just once, or more?

Thrifty rent a car, I get one hit or more for renting from them? If someone has a easy to understand guide for this promo could you shoot me a copy of it, I'll be traveling a lot between now and end of the year and want to get some miles on US Airways and help my quest to get CP.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
After reading the whole thread, I'm not too sure if I'm understanding the some of the ways of getting a hit.

So if I buy a box of pens from Staples, I'll get 1 hit? Right? How many times can I order from Staples to get the one hit? Just once, or more?

Thrifty rent a car, I get one hit or more for renting from them? If someone has a easy to understand guide for this promo could you shoot me a copy of it, I'll be traveling a lot between now and end of the year and want to get some miles on US Airways and help my quest to get CP.
Have you read the entire thread and looked at the landing page? Staples isn't a partner, officemax is and you can only get 1 hit.

Here's the original link:
http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...PromoCode=GS10
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:24 pm

STAPLES??

Is Staples on the list? I thought it was OFficeMax.

ralph
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Staples

Ok I reread the web site, now it makes sense to what is needed... But from what I see, not many miles could be used as qualifying miles

Originally Posted by johndeere19
Have you read the entire thread and looked at the landing page? Staples isn't a partner, officemax is and you can only get 1 hit.

Here's the original link:
http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...PromoCode=GS10

Last edited by FlightNurse; Aug 25, 2010 at 1:57 pm
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Ok I reread the web site, now it makes sense to what is needed... But from what I see, not many miles could be used as qualifying miles
You will not get more than 6K PQM on this promo unless something changes in the levels before they go live. That's 16 "hits". Depending on what you do to get those "hits", you may be better off spending an equal amount of money on travel to/from the DPQM cities, if PQM and increased status are your goals. You will get well over 6k PQM on one transcon (I'm getting about 11k on the DCA-xxx-SAN I am doing later this year) and may be cheaper depending on how you're planning to get your hits.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Platinum 50+
Ha, I was just comparing this latest version with the original and I noted that the USAirways Club hit requirement has been clarified to add the word "annual". Which is exactly the question I asked up thread. Further evidence that the "promo process" steps described above are very likely exactly what happens!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Platinum 50+
Due to the terms of another SPG promotion, I have to leave my SPG account set to "auto deposit to USAir DM" at least for a few more weeks. My question is, does one of these auto deposits count as a "transfer"?

FWIW, my USAir statement shows each one as "STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST ADD TRANSFER"

ADKRick
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by adkrick
Ha, I was just comparing this latest version with the original and I noted that the USAirways Club hit requirement has been clarified to add the word "annual". Which is exactly the question I asked up thread. Further evidence that the "promo process" steps described above are very likely exactly what happens!
Honestly, it's very smart of US to monitor these boards and adapt the promos and marketing as needed. It costs them zero to get all the details of the promo spotted and ironed out before the rest of the world sees them. I work for a very large software company and we pay our customers (in the form of free version upgrades and services) a lot to be in our betas and find our bugs for us. US has us doing it for free
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti
Honestly, it's very smart of US to monitor these boards and adapt the promos and marketing as needed. It costs them zero to get all the details of the promo spotted and ironed out before the rest of the world sees them. I work for a very large software company and we pay our customers (in the form of free version upgrades and services) a lot to be in our betas and find our bugs for us. US has us doing it for free
true. But there are a few private flyer communities where some people have found some very creative loopholes. : )
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NWA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by libuser
true. But there are a few private flyer communities where some people have found some very creative loopholes. : )
Would you be willing to PM those private communities so I can use my creative skills too!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
Originally Posted by libuser
Yea, where does one find these "communities"?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I am signed for the DPQM with my flights to STL and SAN . My SAn flights well go through MSP. PHX-MSP, then MSP- PHX-SAN well give my 6K for $231 with tax and my PHX-STL flights will give me about 6K..

Originally Posted by dcpatti
You will not get more than 6K PQM on this promo unless something changes in the levels before they go live. That's 16 "hits". Depending on what you do to get those "hits", you may be better off spending an equal amount of money on travel to/from the DPQM cities, if PQM and increased status are your goals. You will get well over 6k PQM on one transcon (I'm getting about 11k on the DCA-xxx-SAN I am doing later this year) and may be cheaper depending on how you're planning to get your hits.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Until it's officially announced and live I'm not doing any serious planning or prep work. Not worth it if something might change before start time. Remember, it's no longer visible on the website. All I'm doing is holding off on a few things - booking hotels primarily.
But planning is half the fun!

Are you going to trust DM Wireless this time? I know you had troubles with them last year as did most people who used them. The wine clubs were a hassle too. I just noticed Bose isn't a hit in it's own right anymore.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Tiki
But planning is half the fun!

Are you going to trust DM Wireless this time? I know you had troubles with them last year as did most people who used them. The wine clubs were a hassle too. I just noticed Bose isn't a hit in it's own right anymore.
Definitely doing DM Wireless - US took care of the lack of posting issue nicely and swiftly last November so I suspect they'll do so again if there are troubles. But skipping the wine clubs as they were equally a hassle since many of us bought the silly booklet and didn't join one of the actual clubs. It's the SPG loophole I am crying over! I want to make 28 hits for 60K but may lower my sights and aim for 24 hits. That's still workable and 40K isn't so bad. I can then do 20 or 24 on my wife's account. I'm leaving for Spain on the 1st too and won't be back home until the 20th so I need to hold off on any product purchases that need to be shipped too. That's bugging me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.