Search

Transborder flight - connecting through PHL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Transborder flight - connecting through PHL

Dear all,

I'm flying YOW-PHL-BOS early next week. The first leg is on Air Wisconsin. I had two questions that I hoped y'all would be able to answer:

1. How strict will they be about hand luggage sizes at YOW and PHL? Is Air Wisconsin stricter?

2. How bad will the transit at PHL be? I have just under 2hrs on a weekday, from 8.30-10.30ish AM, and I preclear US immigration in YOW, but will I have to pick up my bag in PHL and recheck it?

I assume as a *G I'll get priority tags - will this make a difference or are they just eye candy at PHL?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
1) Carry-on are the standard USAIr policy, which is 22x9x14" + 1 personal item. If the plane is a CRJ, your carry-on will have a tag put on it plane-side, and be returned to you plane side when you get to PHL. If it's a E170/175, it will fit in the overhead, and you should be OK for space with your *G (which I think gets you Zone 2)

2) Bags checked in YOW will NOT need to be picked up at baggage claim. They will be checked to your final destination.

Once you've cleared US Customs+Immigration in YOW, it'll be just like if you are traveling US domestic.

Safe travels!

HTSC

Originally Posted by marks88
Dear all,

I'm flying YOW-PHL-BOS early next week. The first leg is on Air Wisconsin. I had two questions that I hoped y'all would be able to answer:

1. How strict will they be about hand luggage sizes at YOW and PHL? Is Air Wisconsin stricter?

2. How bad will the transit at PHL be? I have just under 2hrs on a weekday, from 8.30-10.30ish AM, and I preclear US immigration in YOW, but will I have to pick up my bag in PHL and recheck it?

I assume as a *G I'll get priority tags - will this make a difference or are they just eye candy at PHL?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by marks88
As you probably know, you will arrive from YOW in Terminal F, which is not connected airside to the rest of the airport except by shuttle bus, and the BOS flight will likely depart from B or C. You will need to take the shuttle bus that leaves from the middle of the F terminal (near the food court), which will deposit you at gate C-16. Generally the buses leave frequently, but you never know with US and PHL. From there it will be about a five-minute ride to C-16 and then no more than 10-15 mins to your gate.

Last edited by Phudnik; Aug 13, 2010 at 11:17 am Reason: Clarification, as suggested below
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by Phudnik
As you probably know, you will arrive from YOW in Terminal F, which is not connected airside to the rest of the airport, and the BOS flight will likely depart from B or C. You will need to take the shuttle bus that leaves from the middle of the F terminal (near the food court), which will deposit you at gate C-16. Generally the buses leave frequently, but you never know with US and PHL. From there it will be about a five-minute ride to C-16 and then no more than 10-15 mins to your gate.
To clarify what I think Phudnik intends to say above: Taking a shuttle is the only way to connect airside between terminal F and any other terminal in PHL. You cannot expect to walk over to the gate where your BOS flight gets out from.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
To clarify what I think Phudnik intends to say above: Taking a shuttle is the only way to connect airside between terminal F and any other terminal in PHL. You cannot expect to walk over to the gate where your BOS flight gets out from.
That's what I meant. I'll clarify the original post.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, SPG Gold
I have a similiar PHL question.

If I come in from CLT in approximately gate C20 on a flight that is scheduled to arrive 9:00am - could I make it to my 9:45 AM departing flight which would probably be in A concourse?

Lets assume I am not checking any bags.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: None
If the CLT-PHL is on time you should be fine. From C20ish to the end of A-West should take only 15 minutes or so at a brisk walk and using the moving sidewalks where available (between C/B and A-East/A-West). If your departure is from A-East it cuts the distance you'll need to cover in about half.

Jim
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Personally, I wouldn't do a domestic to international under 90 minutes, especially in PHL... (I'm assuming it's INTL since you're leaving out of A).

HTSC
Originally Posted by webrobby
I have a similiar PHL question.

If I come in from CLT in approximately gate C20 on a flight that is scheduled to arrive 9:00am - could I make it to my 9:45 AM departing flight which would probably be in A concourse?

Lets assume I am not checking any bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.