Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Squeezed out on a US flight! What about passenger sizing? (merged threads)

Squeezed out on a US flight! What about passenger sizing? (merged threads)

Old Oct 17, 11, 8:52 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Phoenixian View Post
If one is seated in a middle or window seat, one must rely on the ability of the individual seated on the aisle to quickly remove themselves from their seat in an emergency situation.

A previous poster explains that an aisle seat passenger forcefully wedged himself in to his aisle seat.

More than a little scary, even in the "unlikely event".......
But you will have the same worry if the aisle passenger is quite elderly, frail, a parent burdened with a lap child, passed-out drunk, hysterical, or a dozen other reasons. Not saying it's not a valid concern, just that if you're really concerned about quick access to an emergency exit, the large passengers aren't the only concern. Honestly I'd rather be seated in a window with a large, alert passenger at the aisle than a petite woman in 4" stilettos with a baby to juggle.

On a sold-out flight over the weekend, there was a COS who had purchased a second seat but I guess all the FA's didn't know she'd done that, because the extra seat came up as "empty" on the final head count and one FA told the GA to bring down a stand-by passenger. So even when the COS plans in advance for their needs, they're not guaranteed a hassle-free flight, which may discourage that passenger from buying the extra seat on future flights.
Old Oct 17, 11, 9:13 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by dcpatti View Post
On a sold-out flight over the weekend, there was a COS who had purchased a second seat but I guess all the FA's didn't know she'd done that, because the extra seat came up as "empty" on the final head count and one FA told the GA to bring down a stand-by passenger. So even when the COS plans in advance for their needs, they're not guaranteed a hassle-free flight, which may discourage that passenger from buying the extra seat on future flights.
All the obese passenger needed to do was speak to the GA before boarding to remind the GA that an extra seat had been purchased. That way, if an FA believes that there is an extra seat, the GA will know not to add a standby passenger into the cabin.

Of course, what would make the most sense is for US's computers to have some kind of tag on seats purchased as "extra seats" so that the GA's can easily know the difference. But that might be asking too much!
Old Oct 17, 11, 9:19 am
Suspended

Was it this guy?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched....r_1532425c.jpg
Old Oct 17, 11, 9:22 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
All the obese passenger needed to do was speak to the GA before boarding to remind the GA that an extra seat had been purchased. That way, if an FA believes that there is an extra seat, the GA will know not to add a standby passenger into the cabin.

Of course, what would make the most sense is for US's computers to have some kind of tag on seats purchased as "extra seats" so that the GA's can easily know the difference. But that might be asking too much!
I think where the issue came from was when the FA's go counting empty spots--- even if the computer tags the extra seat properly, if the FA tells the GA that there's an empty seat, will the GA remember that one empty was bought by the COS, or even have noticed it in the computer? Having been on a UA flight that actually had to go back to the gate after taxi-out, to offload a passenger who had been let on without a seat at all (no idea why the FA's didn't catch that someone was just standing up at taxi, and my only guess is that they were in the lav at the time), the headcounts aren't always accurate even without the special handling of a COS extra seat, and the computers aren't even accurate, as the GA's will override the computer beeping at them to not board a passenger, without even looking to see why (like the guy who wanted to fight with me over my 8F seat BNA-DCA a while back... we both had seat assignments and boarding passes for 8F but he was going to CLT... you'd think that the GA would have caught that before he walked onto the plane...)

So the solution still lies with the passenger, in this case the COS, to defend what they paid for, and until the airlines come up with a better way to handle things, will still be hit-or-miss. I'd think it'd be easy enough to just drop the max capacity of the plane by 1 for every COS extra seat purchased, so when the head counts are being done, instead of having a max of 130 pasengers, they have 129... but I guess that's too hard in airline world.
Old Oct 17, 11, 11:22 am

This is an issue for me. I'm tall to start with, and also just have a big upper body. I'm gaunt at 225. My regular healthy weight is 240, and I can fluctuate up to 260. My shoulders are wide. The armrest isn't a problem, but if I'm in Y, I almost always do what I can to reserve a seat with a tray table in the armrest so I don't have to worry about making others uncomfortable.

I've thought about buying an extra seat on CRJs, but since I can get the arm rest down and keep my legs on my side of the seat, with some effort, I don't. Maybe I should. I mostly try to avoid those planes. A couple of times, I've been seated with another large person and that's usually ok. We generally agree to just put up the arm rest and suffer together, and it's good natured.

It's mostly a problem on irregular ops, where I have to end up in a middle. While the arm rests work out ok, there is just no place to put my arms, because of my shoulders. I just basically turn a bit sideways and it works. I've had a few frequent fliers loudly declare to me that they expect all the space they paid for before the flight, and I usually tell them I understand and if they think I'm encroaching, just to let me know. I guess they've had some bad experiences.
Old Oct 18, 11, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-MVPG75K / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by dcpatti View Post
So the solution still lies with the passenger, in this case the COS, to defend what they paid for, and until the airlines come up with a better way to handle things, will still be hit-or-miss. I'd think it'd be easy enough to just drop the max capacity of the plane by 1 for every COS extra seat purchased, so when the head counts are being done, instead of having a max of 130 pasengers, they have 129... but I guess that's too hard in airline world.
And again, Southwest (the airline usually accused of being insensitive to COS) is the airline that gets it right.
They do mention that the COS "must be an active participant" but at least they do have a procedure and "seat occupied" type boarding pass to claim the extra seat.
From the Southwest web's FAQ section:
Can you ensure no one takes the seat beside me if I've purchased a second seat?

The Customer who has purchased two seats must be an active participant in preserving his/her additional seat. We encourage Customers of size to preboard to locate adequate seating, placing the Reserved Seat Document in the adjacent seat. Our Ground Operations and Inflight Employees communicate about special needs Customers, and if a Customer of size needs seating assistance, he/she should ask an Employee for help.
The above has this link: http://www.southwest.com/images/trav...t_reserved.gif
Old Oct 18, 11, 6:08 pm

There truly is no excuse to put passengers on a jet with such small seats as the CJ 200 for more than an hour flight.

In addition to this, the poor on time performance and completion statistics of the regionals, are not used by the DOT in the on time performance rating of US Airways.

Case in point; observe the link I provided for PHL, flight numbers for US Airways 3000 and above are regional, many running late, this is not reflected by DOT for the mainline. This is a typical.

http://www.phl.org/flight_departures.asp
Old Nov 22, 11, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
PAX forced to stand for a seven-hour on US Airways flight

This is so ridiculous!!! He forced to stand during 7-hour in-flight from ANC-PHL nonstop this last summer. Why he got 400 pounds obese? He can't have fit inside the seat.

He could be denied boarding. He can't get inside the seat.

http://www.elliott.org/blog/forced-t...n-hour-flight/

US has already gave him fully refunded the money back but, he just paid $800 for his entire trip.

Good riddance to US!!! Where WN need to get enforced the seat policy?
Old Nov 22, 11, 5:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Mod note--

I took the liberty of merging this new story into the existing mega-thread on this subject. We've already hashed through this, so no need to start out fresh. I'd encourage any newcomers to review past comments in the thread before posting new replies.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Nov 22, 11, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Completely unacceptable on US's part to refuse a full refund. If that truly is their final offer, I'd escalate this to the FAA and see how they feel about a substantial fine, well in excess of the refund.

(though frankly they should be fined regardless of the refund. But it will at least result in some emotional payback).
Old Nov 22, 11, 8:09 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Completely unacceptable on US's part to refuse a full refund. If that truly is their final offer, I'd escalate this to the FAA and see how they feel about a substantial fine, well in excess of the refund.

(though frankly they should be fined regardless of the refund. But it will at least result in some emotional payback).
Yup. And the displaced passenger should immediately do a charge back on his credit card. The passenger paid for a seat and did not get one.
Old Nov 22, 11, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Mod note--

I took the liberty of merging this new story into the existing mega-thread on this subject. We've already hashed through this, so no need to start out fresh. I'd encourage any newcomers to review past comments in the thread before posting new replies.

Thanks!

aztimm
Hey, thanks for your concern. I did not see the original thread has already existed. I didn't have a chance to read the US Airways very often but, I appreciate your helps. I'll try to keep eye on it.
Old Nov 22, 11, 10:27 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
US should have not been so cheap in its compensation offer. Huge safety issues plus poor customer service. My guess is the FA/s did not want to seem offensive to the plus - size passenger so they had the other passenger suffer. I think a formal letter from Doug Parker with about $2000 in future travel vouchers would have been appropriate.

Wait until CNN or someone picks this up and US will change its tune. FAST (Hint)
Old Nov 23, 11, 7:42 am

Is it not part of FAA regulations that armrests be down during takeoff and landing? I know I hear it all the time.
Old Nov 23, 11, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by bossku69 View Post
Ive been in this situation before and its not fun... typically because I am a bigger guy myself with broader shoulders and being 6'3" does not make any flight fun unless its in FC

I was on a flight before sitting in row 5 (first row of coach) aisle seat. The woman sitting next to me was old and her son wanted to sit next to her but she demanded sitting in the front of the plane.

The FA asked me to move and I denied because not only did I have to pay a premium for that seat, but also had to book it way in advance to secure the bulkhead.

Another FA told me if I didn't get up and move than we would never leave. Turns out the old womans son was CP and he pulled that card and got his way. Some reason he had a middle seat towards the back and was a horrible flight. Guy next to me was larger and kept moving around and the woman beside me must of gotten up 10 times during a 5 hour flight to use the bathroom.

Complaints do nothing IMO and I've learned to have comfort I have to pay more and buy up to FC. What I typically do is buy my tix 3 days before so I am pretty much guaranteed the upgrade going out and then buy FC on the way back. Yes its a little more but I know its well spent when I want to sit back and relax on a 5 or 6 hour flight.

You have infinitely more patience that I. If I had paid a premium for that seat, I would be livid if they forced me to move for a CP who had no right to it. Did they refund your premium? I'm livid and it wasn't even me.

Search this Thread