Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Squeezed out on a US flight! What about passenger sizing? (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Squeezed out on a US flight! What about passenger sizing? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Here's the problem I see when one books two seats together - GA and FA often walk through the cabin looking/counting open seats for standby pax, then they give them away.
Had this exact experience, purchased two seats next to each other and when husband missed his connection they gave away his seat. I protested but it didn't matter...so frankly I don't see how a POS is going to be guaranteed two seats.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
A missed connection is different because your boarding pass isn't scanned in; when you book an extra seat, it gets a boarding pass and gets scanned in along with yours. Not saying you won't have to defend the territory from a GA wanting to fill it, but it's not the same scenario as a no-show.

Which brings up the question of VDB for an extra seat. If i book an extra seat (COS, musical instrument, whatever) and the flight is oversold, can I get VDB compensation by letting them put another Pax in my seat? If so, I might have to book an extra seat every time I got dca-phx(when it's not a $500 flight, that is).
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I have a question about WN's policy on this: if you pay for a second seat, will WN guarantee that you get two adjacent seats? If you're in one of the later boarding groups, it's very possible that only middle seats would be available.
If you are a COS and pay for a second seat, then you board immediately after those who ' need extra time to board '.

However, if you are not a COS, you may not buy a second seat.

No system is perfect. Any system can be defeated by those that try. I think that WN has the best system for COS.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Interesting thing to wonder, if, say, someone booked a seat for a large instrument/etc, and the plane had open seats if they would refund. I'm not sure they would, but I see your point and do agree. I think it may be different with the open seating policy on WN than with assigned seating, since one could argue the remaining passengers 'chose' to move elsewhere.
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I have a question about WN's policy on this: if you pay for a second seat, will WN guarantee that you get two adjacent seats? If you're in one of the later boarding groups, it's very possible that only middle seats would be available.
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

To answer the questions, no refunds for the person booking a seat for an instrument, and they expect you to fight to keep the extra seat (and suggest you print out some paper thingy to prove that it's yours).

Originally Posted by ScatterX
Can you imagine having a passenger "size-right" seating chair at the gate?
Will never happen. That's why I suggested a kiosk with a curtain Privacy is key here.

Originally Posted by lougord99
If you are a COS and pay for a second seat, then you board immediately after those who ' need extra time to board '.

However, if you are not a COS, you may not buy a second seat.
Some airlines allow any customer to buy a second seat even if they are not a COS.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html

To answer the questions, no refunds for the person booking a seat for an instrument, and they expect you to fight to keep the extra seat (and suggest you print out some paper thingy to prove that it's yours).
I can assure you that the COS is not fighting to keep the seat next to him open. Only the last person aboard will sit there, except that the seat has not been sold, so there is no last person aboard.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:29 pm

I can assure you that the COS is not fighting to keep the seat next to him open. Only the last person aboard will sit there, except that the seat has not been sold, so there is no last person aboard.
The seat HAS been sold. The fight is most likely going to be with the FA, who may not know that the person paid for 2 seats.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Some airlines allow any customer to buy a second seat even if they are not a COS.
Including US -- I've asked. I suspect the airline is happy to be out of the business of making the determination for you.

When transcon seats were incredibly cheap for a while, I contemplated doing so, just to be comfortable on flights that I expected not to be upgraded. I was told it's no problem. The phone agent said to just to bring it to the attention of the gate agent (of course you're also providing an additional BP at the door), then the FA on board, and if it becomes an issue once you're seated, just remind them that it's a seat you've purchased.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
just to be comfortable on flights that I expected not to be upgraded.
You've raised another concern here. If I'm a member of a FF program that's offered upgrades, I would assume that having 2 seats associated with my reservation would impact my ability to get an upgrade to F.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:06 am

While a few people on this thread have mentioned shoulder width, I find it amusing that the "COS issue" is always about hip/waist size, and rarely if ever about upper body size. Is it more socially acceptable? Is it easier to say it's not their fault, it's genetics? They're still taking up your space.

Cali
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:06 am

The seat HAS been sold. The fight is most likely going to be with the FA, who may not know that the person paid for 2 seats.
The seat has not been sold to another person and the FA will know because the person has pre-boarded not that it matters whether the FA knows.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . .not that it matters whether the FA knows.
If it's a full flight with standbys waiting at the gate, it matters, because it's the FAs who do the open seat count. If they're in the loop, and remember when they do that count, they'll account for that purchased 'open' seat and won't tell the gate agent to send down another passenger.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:30 pm
Suspended

1. It is your right to demand the arm rest down. Start there

2. If she still rolls over, your only recourse is to call the FA. If the passenger fits within the seat with the arm rest down, you are probably out of luck - except for keeping their feet on their side. Often you can get a free upgrade in your situation
Old Aug 13, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by CaliC
While a few people on this thread have mentioned shoulder width, I find it amusing that the "COS issue" is always about hip/waist size, and rarely if ever about upper body size. Is it more socially acceptable? Is it easier to say it's not their fault, it's genetics? They're still taking up your space.
That's exactly the dilemma: what's in control of the passenger and what is not.

BTW, I HATE the term "COS". It's such a stupid euphemism because we all have size. Or do I weight zero because I am not taking more than one seat?

Or, imagine going into a clothing store and being asked by the salesperson, "What size are you?" Perhaps I should just answer, "Of size."

The better term would be "XLC", or "extra-large customer". That would cover obese, broad, and/or muscular people.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:05 pm
Suspended

What about kids

The problem expands. If a larger person is able to buy two seats at a reduced rate - then what about traveling with an infant. They can ride free as a lap child but that is unsafe. Many kids are hurt every year as thrown objects when planes hit turbulence. So they should also be able to buy a reduced seat for child seat. (most airlines used to hold seat for free of yup asked and they were not full. I traveled such with mine 15 years ago)

Now we have reduced seats for infants, for the viola and for the large person. Where does it stop and how much money does airline loose.

I think they should go back to old days where you could get extra seat for free IF they were not full

Last edited by jrhmdtraum; Aug 14, 2010 at 7:52 am
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Instead of using a sizing box or a sizing seat, let the person next to you decide whether you are taking too much space.

If you think that is not fair, then you should agree/admit that the sizing box is fair.

>>> your recourse is to call the FA

If that doesn't succeed, have the captain in on the discussion.
If that doesn't succeed, have the ground complaint resolution officer in on the discussion.

Asking for volunteers to be bumped is an excellent solution to many of these problems.

If you bought two seats, raise the armrest and sit straddling both. Then no one else, standing by or otherwise, will be able to take one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.