Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting experience switching First Class seat with soldier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Interesting experience switching First Class seat with soldier

I know many people have done this, but I had not had a chance until a few weeks ago on an SFO-CLT redeye. The boarding was almost done, I was sipping the first PDB I had been offered in ages, when I noticed a uniformed soldier go to C. I asked the FA to switch, she arranged it and I quickly moved to an aisle seat a few rows back. No conversations other than which seat I wanted, middle or aisle (I picked aisle)

I would have much preferred to make the arrangements at the gate in order to be anonymous, so I was mostly embarrassed when my new seatmate praised me for moving. Then, one FA and then another came by with the same sentiments, and promised to keep the drinks coming, which they did. The stuff from the front, too, not the $7 a bottle plonk they sell in coach.

My embarrassement was pretty acute now, because without belaboring the quality of the domestic F service, especially on a no meal flight, I did not think it was an especially big deal.

I fell asleep for a few hours, when the cabin starts waking up before arrival one of the FAs hands me a note. It is a six page letter, it must have taken most of the flight just to write. It was from a woman sitting in the bulkhead behind F, I walked by her on the way back. She was also an active duty solder, had been deployed twice, but was travelling with her family and in civilian clothes. Her letter described why she joined the military, how important it was to her and also how difficult, and thanked me again for what I did. That letter will stay in my permanent collection.

So, it was a memorable flight. I hope I get the chance to do it again.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:27 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by cmcc
I fell asleep for a few hours, when the cabin starts waking up before arrival one of the FAs hands me a note. It is a six page letter, it must have taken most of the flight just to write. It was from a woman sitting in the bulkhead behind F, I walked by her on the way back. She was also an active duty solder, had been deployed twice, but was travelling with her family and in civilian clothes. Her letter described why she joined the military, how important it was to her and also how difficult, and thanked me again for what I did. That letter will stay in my permanent collection.

So, it was a memorable flight. I hope I get the chance to do it again.
I got a little verklempt by the last part. You may have felt embarressed but remember it is the little things that let our military men and women know that you appreciate their decision to serve and protect rather than seek a different path. No matter what anyone else thinks it was an gesture from within yourself and is something we all can do more often.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by cmcc
...So, it was a memorable flight. I hope I get the chance to do it again.
Thanks for sharing ^. I was moved, more so because it was a long-ish transcon when a comfortable FC seat is important!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:00 pm

Good stuff - thanks for sharing. ^^
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:31 pm

Sappy.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:52 pm

I've offered my F seat on EWR-ATL to an uniformed solider once and she refused politely...I was surprised =)
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:11 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by cwe84
I got a little verklempt by the last part.
Me too!!! Great stuff. ^ ^ ^
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by usa18dca
I've offered my F seat on EWR-ATL to an uniformed solider once and she refused politely...I was surprised =)
I don't think they're supposed to accept freebies, or so I've read in similar threads. I think it's quite minor (as I'm sure most who graciously accept the offer to move up also think so) but I understand the argument for impropriety as well.

I've never had the opportunity to do this for a member of the armed forces but I have swapped with an obviously 8+ month pregnant woman. I realize it's not the same thing but random acts of kindness are still just that - very nice things to do for others that make us human.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Originally Posted by usa18dca
I'm not. Most still serve our military out of a sense of duty and honor. They do not do it for the award and recognition. Often a simple thanks and gesture is enough.

Just a few thoughts from a veteran....

Great story though and thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PA Pilot
I'm not. Most still serve our military out of a sense of duty and honor. They do not do it for the award and recognition. Often a simple thanks and gesture is enough.

Just a few thoughts from a veteran....

Great story though and thanks for sharing.
That is why I wanted to conduct the transaction at arms length, either through the FA or preferably, the GA. I was concerned that a direct interaction would potentially be awkward.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Outstanding! ^^^
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
OP, I know you had hoped to remain anonymous with your gift and I'm sorry that they didn't follow your wishes. But sometimes when you see someone doing something really nice, it makes you so happy that you want to share it. I think by the FA's and GA's sharing your story with other employees, you brightened a whole lot of days
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcpatti
OP, I know you had hoped to remain anonymous with your gift and I'm sorry that they didn't follow your wishes. But sometimes when you see someone doing something really nice, it makes you so happy that you want to share it. I think by the FA's and GA's sharing your story with other employees, you brightened a whole lot of days
That is my main point, a relatively trivial thing on my part had such an outsized effect.

There is a self-interest aspect also, which is doing something like is one of the best ways make business travel more tolerable and improve my mood.

The FA didn't spill any beans, the lady who wrote the letter was just behind the bulkhead on the opposite side from where I left, and so was about the only person who could have seen it. She just gave the note to the FA and asked her to deliver it.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M20009
Sappy.
If I wasn't the OP I probably would have said that too. But the emotions that were expressed were obviously genuine. Someone may believe them to be overly sentimental, but they were real.

Last edited by cmcc; Aug 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:54 pm
Suspended

You know there was a time when those who protect our freedom and liberty were spit upon by the very citizens they sought to protect.

Many of us who age wise are "Viet Nam Era" recall this treatment and as a result many of us try to ensure that this time whether a popular war or not it doesn't happen to the fighting men and women who currently serve.

So while we may despise the government who put them in harms way, we respect that these men and women are willing to do so, often at great personal sacrifice and some sadly pay the ultimate price.

I've gotten servicemen and women upgraded whenever I can.To see the genuine gratitude on their faces is worth losing the first class seat. As the nephew of a man who ran out of his Higgins Boat into the withering gunfire of Omaha Beach and lived to not talk about it, it seems like the right thing for me to do.

It makes the hair on my neck stand up when the soldier squares away and says "Thank you Sir". I'm not embarrassed in the least as I'll pluck'em right out of the gate area and take them to the counter if an upgrade is available. To do less would be wrong.

One of my best flights ever was with 2 marines going home. F/A's gave them each a "Care Package" and we started BS'ing and they told me what they did in Iraq and asked if I fought in 'Nam. I didn't but mentioned my uncle landed on Normandy. I'll never forget the one guys response, "Oh Jesus, we didn't do anything like that. Your uncle was in a real war not this BS"

Over time though I began to back away and try to become more anonymous for part of the reasons the OP mentioned. Plus in my mind there should be no reward merely for doing what is right. To the OP: You done good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.