My 2nd US Air experience

Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
My 2nd US Air experience

Living in Houston, I have been a CO flyer for the past decade, (with UA flights in between) and had only taken one prior trip on US (IAH-DCA) back in June 2005. I took the trip b/c I was eager to try out the E170. (and I loved it!)

Over the past month, I have taken US DEN-PHX-SFO (320's) rt & IAH-PHX-LAX (733, 752, CR9) rt. I must say, that I feel spoiled for flying CO for all this time, and even UA. Even though CO has older 733/735 flying in the fleet, they mirror the rest of the fleet as far as interior quality and appearance.

DEN-PHX-SFO
No complaints here. The 320's were in great shape.

IAH-PHX-LAX
Obviously the older 737's were shown on the IAH segments, and was surprised at how dirty they appeared inside. I caught an eaerlier flight PHX-LAX so I didn't have to ride the CRJ and caught the 757. Its hard for me to criticize the 757 as its my fav bird out there. But I was surprised at how small the first class cabin was. I was unable to score an upgrade, but sat in the bulkhead. Which I actually was thinking was going to be first class considering I turned to the left when I walked on board. But it turned out just fine, middle seat was open, and it was only a 57 minute flight.
On the return (same day), I was scheduled for the 12:30pm LAX-PHX A321 flight, but the 1105am CR9 flight was running about 5-10 minutes late and was able to score an exit row seat by myself. As I walked on, I was surprised about the lack of F seats, but what really caught my eye was the America West logos all over the cabin. So, my question is, how far along is US Airways at removing the HP logo with the new US? How can you have a product that you are advertising as US, but still continue to have HP insignia???? We're coming up on almost 2 years of being fully integrated. I understand that the outside of the a/c is key to having one common product, but what about the inside? Is there a timeline for that as well?

Lastly, what is up with the so called "club" on the A concourse. I swear that thing was smaller than my college dorm room.

Obviously, nothing is going to keep me from flying US again, particularly now that I can get my onepass miles on the flights, but I hope that they have an initiative to continue to upgrade its inflight product and am eager to try the inflight wi-fi on the 321 when I can.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CALMSP
Living in Houston, I have been a CO flyer for the past decade, (with UA flights in between) and had only taken one prior trip on US (IAH-DCA) back in June 2005. I took the trip b/c I was eager to try out the E170. (and I loved it!)

Over the past month, I have taken US DEN-PHX-SFO (320's) rt & IAH-PHX-LAX (733, 752, CR9) rt. I must say, that I feel spoiled for flying CO for all this time, and even UA. Even though CO has older 733/735 flying in the fleet, they mirror the rest of the fleet as far as interior quality and appearance.

DEN-PHX-SFO

IAH-PHX-LAX
Obviously the older 737's were shown on the IAH segments, and was surprised at how dirty they appeared inside. I caught an eaerlier flight PHX-LAX so I didn't have to ride the CRJ and caught the 757. Its hard for me to criticize the 757 as its my fav bird out there. But I was surprised at how small the first class cabin was. I was unable to score an upgrade, but sat in the bulkhead. Which I actually was thinking was going to be first class considering I turned to the left when I walked on board. But it turned out just fine, middle seat was open, and it was only a 57 minute flight.
On the return (same day), I was scheduled for the 12:30pm LAX-PHX A321 flight, but the 1105am CR9 flight was running about 5-10 minutes late and was able to score an exit row seat by myself. As I walked on, I was surprised about the lack of F seats, but what really caught my eye was the America West logos all over the cabin. So, my question is, how far along is US Airways at removing the HP logo with the new US? How can you have a product that you are advertising as US, but still continue to have HP insignia???? We're coming up on almost 2 years of being fully integrated. I understand that the outside of the a/c is key to having one common product, but what about the inside? Is there a timeline for that as well?

Lastly, what is up with the so called "club" on the A concourse. I swear that thing was smaller than my college dorm room.

Obviously, nothing is going to keep me from flying US again, particularly now that I can get my onepass miles on the flights, but I hope that they have an initiative to continue to upgrade its inflight product and am eager to try the inflight wi-fi on the 321 when I can.
You turned LEFT on the 757 and you were still in coach? Odd...how many rows of Y do they have to the left? I'm a UA flyer almost exclusively and the 757 is one of my favorite aircraft because of the 6 rows of F that make upgrades waaaaay easier to get. I heard that US Airways got rid of all their domestic IFE, even on transcons....did their 757s still have monitors hanging from the ceiling?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:44 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
You turned LEFT on the 757
My guess is that you flew internationally configured B757 with 12 Envoy seats (sold as First on domestic and Caribbean flights).

And BTW - it is US Airways
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
DL still has many, many planes with NW insignias.

plus, the 757 on UA sucks pretty hard, as well
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
The west 757's have a mini coach cabin between 2L and the FC cabin. It's only 4 rows, or something like that. The west 757's also have 14FC old recliner style seats. 4 rows on the left, and 3 on the right.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:19 am

the 1105am CR9 flight was running about 5-10 minutes late and was able to score an exit row seat by myself. As I walked on, I was surprised about the lack of F seats, but what really caught my eye was the America West logos all over the cabin. So, my question is, how far along is US Airways at removing the HP logo with the new US? How can you have a product that you are advertising as US, but still continue to have HP insignia???? We're coming up on almost 2 years of being fully integrated. I understand that the outside of the a/c is key to having one common product, but what about the inside? Is there a timeline for that as well?
Not that it makes it right - but that CR9 is a Mesa bird - and with Mesa in Ch 11 right now, I wouldn't think that changing the interior is going to be a priority item.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:15 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Sounds like it was an America West 14F seat 757, which would still have some coach seats ahead of doors 2L/2R. The East fleet (US Airways pre-2005) of 757's have 12F seats, all Envoy style seating used on international flights from PHL, but you wouldn't see that on a PHX-LAX route.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by mrredskin
DL still has many, many planes with NW insignias.

plus, the 757 on UA sucks pretty hard, as well
I'm with you on that one, but am still happy they added a 757 to the ORD-PIT route, as opposed the CRJ that flies it earlier in the day (out of freaking terminal F).
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by liveon777
I'm with you on that one, but am still happy they added a 757 to the ORD-PIT route, as opposed the CRJ that flies it earlier in the day (out of freaking terminal F).
haha, well no comparison in that case!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by mrredskin
haha, well no comparison in that case!
No human, poor or rich or tall or short etc., should have to endure that cattle pen
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
How did you score a upgrade ? Gofirst (paid upgrade?) since you are CO elite you weren't upgrade as an elite.

DEN-PHX-SFO

IAH-PHX-LAX

Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:44 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by PHL
Sounds like it was an America West 14F seat 757, which would still have some coach seats ahead of doors 2L/2R. The East fleet (US Airways pre-2005) of 757's have 12F seats, all Envoy style seating used on international flights from PHL, but you wouldn't see that on a PHX-LAX route.
Apologies - my bad! I forgot HP also had B757's. Sure, you will not see Envoy B757 flying in the West fleet.

Originally Posted by TPJ
My guess is that you flew internationally configured B757 with 12 Envoy seats (sold as First on domestic and Caribbean flights).
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by liveon777
No human, poor or rich or tall or short etc., should have to endure that cattle pen
that's why i try getting one of the preferred seats on the aisle in the first few rows, next to one of the $5 choice seats - in hopes of no one being next to me. i couldn't imagine having a window seat on a CRJ.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
How did you score a upgrade ? Gofirst (paid upgrade?) since you are CO elite you weren't upgrade as an elite.
I wasn't able to get an upgrade............thought I did when I was given seat 5F
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

does US have a corporate rep on here like CO does with their Managing Director of Customer Experience?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.