Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US or United?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
US or United?

i have two trips upcoming and assuming united won't match us double miles promotion. i have lowest status with both arilines 2P vs silver
my itineraries are 1)BOS -> ICN -> BOS, 2) BOS -> NRT-> BOS and they are Unied metal.
booking on US saves me 200$ each trip but won't access to E+ or maybe

do you go for miles and saves some cash? or comfortable seats.
thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
if you get E+ on these long flights, i would go with UA. but, then again, you get a butt-load of extra miles for flying US. Depends on what you value more!

in conclusion, i have helped you none
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The double miles promo will only work if it's ticketed on US and flown on US metal. If ticketing via UA is the only way you can get the E+ access and it's complimentary and more or less guaranteed (I don't know all the ins and outs of E+ access for UA elites) then it's probably worth the $200 as that is a long flight. If you can ticket it on US but use your UA FF# and still get your E+ access then that's the best of both worlds. But since it's not US metal you won't get the double miles either way.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:41 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by dcpatti
The double miles promo will only work if it's ticketed on US and flown on US metal. If ticketing via UA is the only way you can get the E+ access and it's complimentary and more or less guaranteed (I don't know all the ins and outs of E+ access for UA elites) then it's probably worth the $200 as that is a long flight. If you can ticket it on US but use your UA FF# and still get your E+ access then that's the best of both worlds. But since it's not US metal you won't get the double miles either way.
UA did allow status to affect your e+
I could use a US award on UA, out in my UA number in the reservation and get e+.
The trips are 26k miles. I would go with UA and e+.
In 2011, I see UA/Co being much more useful than US to be honest.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: AA-P, DL-Silver, Marriott-Plat, SPG-Plat, Hilton-Gold
UA E+ Access

For the past two years I have had either UA Premier Exec status or I have purchased the UA E+ annual pass. I always book my flight with my UA # to get the E+ seating. When I get to the airport, I go to one of the check-in kiosks and change it to my US Airways DM # at which point the computer prints out a new piece of paper. My seat has never changed and I have always gotten the US miles. Of course, no US promos apply b/c I am not flying US metal. YMMV.

sH
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Be careful that this doesn't turn into a Unted alternate forum
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Seeing as how the flight is on UA metal, I'd book a UA ticket. It can be a PITA to get any kind of service out of UA when you have a US ticket. Also, you will get access to E+ no matter who you book the ticket on. If you book on US, find out what the UA res# is (can even ask US), pull it up on UA's site, and enter your MP#. You might even be able to switch back to your US# after you select the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.