Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-BOS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Silver
PHL-BOS

I have seen in the past that US would fly a 757 up to BOS from PHL. I know that now they are almost all E190's. Is there a possibility, that they would upgrade a flight to a 757 around Thanksgiving?
Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
The last time I was on a 757 from PHL, it was an equipment swap from the E190 a couple of months ago...definitely a pleasant surprise. Other than that, I haven't seen scheduled 757 service for quite a while.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
It's more likely you'd see an E90 swapped for an A319/320/321. There just aren't many 757's left in the East fleet that aren't committted to European or Caribbean services.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I have to admit to curiousity...why would you want a change specifically to a 757? The E90 is a fine plane.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Silver
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I have to admit to curiousity...why would you want a change specifically to a 757? The E90 is a fine plane.
I would be fine with the E90, but the 757 would be even better. And the 757 is also my favorite plane, and have never flown a US 757. Just wondering if US would upgrade some of the planes on this route over the holiday season.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Looking at 24 Nov (day before Thanksgiving), US has 16 PHL-BOS flights in the current schedule, with 15 of them on E90's and an 8:30 pm flight on an A319. By then, most of the 757s that fly seasonal routes to Europe are back making runs to the Caribbean or other occasional hub to hub flight (notably PHL-CLT), so if you want to fly a US 757, you're probably going to need to go on either a hub to hub, Caribbean, European (out of PHL) or Hawaiian flight. The US East 757s configured with the Envoy seats are likely to be in better interior shape than the West birds that go to Hawaii (one East bird does too from PHX).

US used to have dozens of 757s, some of which were among the first built that they got out of the Eastern Airlines bankruptcy, but many have been retired and replaced by A321s. I too will miss them - they flew me for years on West Coast flights out of PHL, and they're a great ride and have impressive takeoff power.

Without a direct replacement for thinner European routes, they'll probably still around in low numbers on US for a while yet, and of course airlines like AA, DL, UA and CO have very large 757 fleets.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:37 am

US does a daily PHL-PIT-PHL run on the 757. It is flight 739/738 that continues from and to Lisbon. They do switch it to an E190 on Saturdays, though.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyer26
US does a daily PHL-PIT-PHL run on the 757. It is flight 739/738 that continues from and to Lisbon. They do switch it to an E190 on Saturdays, though.
This is good to know I never picked up on this flight. I usually connect through CLT because it generally makes more sense but if I have connect through PHL in the evening I am going to try this flight out.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Most airliner fans love the 757. One of the, if not THE, best single aisle transports ever built.

But you aren't missing a whole lot by not being on a USAirways 757. Coach is tight, no in flight entertainment, no power, no wifi. The front cabin has the Envoy seating used on the A330-300 fleet, so that's not a bad upgrade to score if you have status.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by neotope
This is good to know I never picked up on this flight. I usually connect through CLT because it generally makes more sense but if I have connect through PHL in the evening I am going to try this flight out.
Although I'm certainly not condoning a connection through PHL, if you have to, this flight is a nice treat back to PIT, especially up front. It leaves at 3:30p, usually before PHL turns into a complete nightmare, so the flight is usually on-time. Also, it is usually staffed with PIT flight attendants who are super nice, and anxious to get home. However, CLT is still the way to go.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by USFlyer26
Although I'm certainly not condoning a connection through PHL, if you have to, this flight is a nice treat back to PIT, especially up front. It leaves at 3:30p, usually before PHL turns into a complete nightmare, so the flight is usually on-time. Also, it is usually staffed with PIT flight attendants who are super nice, and anxious to get home. However, CLT is still the way to go.
I ^ USFlyer's comments on all accounts.
The folks on board are usually quite nice and know that everyone is tired after a long day/week.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:11 am
soy

Programs: various
I often take this route in Y and have to say I much prefer the E190 to the 757. IMHO 2x2 is a lot better than 3x3 seating, plus the planes are pretty new.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
might as well spend the $9 and go on the megabus!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.