US Airways Website Down

Old Jul 21, 10, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
US Airways Website Down

Been trying to book flights on the website all morning, and it has been slow as a dog, and now this. Wow, what a tech group we have here.

-- Mia

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
Old Jul 21, 10, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
They did post an update on Twitter about the site being down and having problems.

http://www.twitter.com/usairways/

I would say for the past 2-3 weeks the site has been really bad.
Old Jul 21, 10, 2:35 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I had troubles this morning too, didn't bother even trying to fight it. I assumed it was just my work server (gov't) but apparently it was them.

I guess I have to apologize to our IT guy.
Old Jul 21, 10, 3:40 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Yesterday was when they tweeted about it. I'm assuming they tried to do some sort of "upgrade" and all hell broke loose. They should really have better/more QA testers and have a copy of their previous site version before switching over.
Old Jul 21, 10, 4:19 pm

I can't understand how USAIR survives

I am unfortunately a long-time usair dividend mile member. I travel in excess of 100,000 miles per year. I have tons of miles and chairman status but I am ready to give it all up. This airline is terrible and the web-site problems the last several days has been the straw that has broken the camel's back. I have tried all week to book upcoming trips for the 4th quarter. When I call web support they aren't even aware there is a problem. As I explained to an employee earlier today....how the company treats customers and employees is despicable. Top management doesn't about their employees or they would never allow their web site to literally go down the entire week. Shame on USAIR.
Old Jul 21, 10, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, ICHPlat, MarriottR, SPG Gold
In defense, when the site was having a problem yesterday, I just called and booked with a CR who waived the fee. She actually tried checking the site and couldn't get things to work right either. She was very apologetic.

I find it inconvenient when the site is down, but not insurmountable.
Old Jul 21, 10, 5:34 pm

Programs: USAir MM CP, UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uglyusair View Post
I am unfortunately a long-time usair dividend mile member. I travel in excess of 100,000 miles per year. I have tons of miles and chairman status but I am ready to give it all up. This airline is terrible and the web-site problems the last several days has been the straw that has broken the camel's back. I have tried all week to book upcoming trips for the 4th quarter. When I call web support they aren't even aware there is a problem. As I explained to an employee earlier today....how the company treats customers and employees is despicable. Top management doesn't about their employees or they would never allow their web site to literally go down the entire week. Shame on USAIR.
Yeah but they turned a profit and got good DOT ratings so Doug will get his bonus. I too called the Chairmans desk to book today. I told the very nice and helpful person working about the issues. She too said they had been trying to fix something all day and it was down. I work for a software company. If we ever did the stupid things these guys do on production servers without testing and did it during the middle of the day, people would be fired period. I had an exchange with customer dis-service this week about charing Chairmans for "Premium" seating on Regional Jets and yet still giving unlimited upgrades to first on real jets and how stupid this was. After a couple responses I got back basically it is USAir's business decision to charge for those seats and to go pound sand. I guess as long as they keep cutting things so they can turn a profit and their execs are getting bonuses, they don't care about those of us who pay for those bonuses. I am looking at potentially switching to UA. I fly out of DEN anyway. I don't think they are that much better of course. Just different people to be upset with.
Old Jul 21, 10, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
It's been a dog, but if you're really stuck you could use the EU booking engine which seems to be trundling on fine. Some limitations, but it works http://www.usairways.com/en-EU/default.html
Old Jul 21, 10, 8:42 pm

No problems for me.
Old Jul 21, 10, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Thumbs down OLCI not working for past 2 hours

I've been struggling with USAIR on-line check-in for the past 2 hours.

Finally was able to check-in, but system is unable to display/print the BP sheets.

###########

UPDATE: still unable to print BPs - as of 6:30 a.m. 7/22

We're sorry
We're unable to display your boarding pass. Please try again later or check in at the airport.

Reference code: YTA5QO3XZH24R545MA0ZZJ55 (1.6.640030.70850)
Occurred: 7/22/2010 3:56:04 AM

Last edited by nsx1164; Jul 22, 10 at 6:00 am Reason: added more info
Old Jul 22, 10, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by colmc View Post
It's been a dog, but if you're really stuck you could use the EU booking engine which seems to be trundling on fine. Some limitations, but it works http://www.usairways.com/en-EU/default.html
Nice, but I think my travel dept might look at me funny if I start booking flights in Euros.

-- Mia
Old Jul 22, 10, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
The Website is Down (Video)
Old Jul 26, 10, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
When I buy my tickets, I can not choose seats, the pop up window just sit there and does nothing. I have to go back and choose my seats once I have purchased the tickets.

Originally Posted by neotope View Post
They did post an update on Twitter about the site being down and having problems.

http://www.twitter.com/usairways/

I would say for the past 2-3 weeks the site has been really bad.
Old Jul 29, 10, 8:51 am

Programs: AA-Platinum
I'm getting the following error when using my Mac (works fine with PC. Tried the european web site on Mac: site comes up, but can't book flights as calendar doesn't work). Error is:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
Old Jul 29, 10, 10:01 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by newamiga View Post
I work for a software company. If we ever did the stupid things these guys do on production servers without testing and did it during the middle of the day, people would be fired period.
I also work for a software company and it surprises me how many of my customers do not have a test environment. I currently have 6 accounts and these are big name customers--- there's a good chance that each FT'er on this forum and located in the US is a customer of one of my customers, either from your credit card, IRA, cell phone providor, cable providor, or prescription drugs. Only ONE of my customers has a test environment. Everyone else slams patches, service packs and changes right into Production. And yes we see a LOT of outages that could have been prevented with a little testing. Considering that one of the products I work with is used extensively for litigation and compliance, and that the SEC can fine a non-compliant financial institution $150k/day, it mystifies me. Add in that lots of these companies have heavily silo'ed IT teams that do not communicate and make changes to dependant systems without telling eachother, and it's a miracle that e-commerce in the US is not at a standstill.

Not defending US, just saying the lack of pre-change testing is nothing unique to them. It's a lot more common in the IT world than you think.

In this situation, all that can be done is call into the reservations lines and hopefully the spike in call volume will show up on some manager's reports, which can then be used to justify a better change control procedure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: