Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any downside to transferring 170K points from SPG to US?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Any downside to transferring 170K points from SPG to US?

I'm strongly considering transferring 170K points from SPG to US as part of the 50% promotion. After the transfer, my 170K points would become 310K Dividend Miles. The opportunity to create 140K miles/points from scratch seems to good to pass up. Is there any downside to doing this?

I primarily use my SPG points to top off airline accounts, usually AA, which is my favorite program and largest account. However, I presently have a boat load of miles on AA, plus a pretty good incoming stream of miles from Bank Direct. Transferring the 170K SPG points to AA would only amount to 210K AA miles (or 100K less than to US) - I know AA had a similar promotion last month....but, unfortunately, I missed it. While AA/One World is my favorite program, I'm a big Star Alliance fan, and there are some places where Star Alliance is better than One World. In thinking about our future travel, we would like to use our miles to go to Europe and/or some other far flung place like New Zealand or Palau where the Star Alliance network is pretty good.

In reading other threads, it would seem like the 2 biggest concerns are US leaving the Star Alliance (which can't happen for 5 years) and US' financial status. I think I can live those risks.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Would there be any reason not to execute the transfer?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
I was considering doing something similar, and decided to hold off, though I think it could well make sense for you. Here are a few issues you might consider:

* Unlike AA, US does not support 1-way awards, and you can't change anything after travel has begun. (If I could make a single change to the DM program, it would be to add 1-way awards at 50% of the RT cost.)

* Award availability has historically been good, but one could imagine that the partners that people are redeeming on will eventually become less generous. It seems unlikely that US itself would start blocking partner awards (a.k.a. UA's infamous "Starnet blocking", which drove me to finally abandon their FF program), but there is some risk about future availability. As to New Zealand in particular, I'd check their forum, but I believe Air NZ premium availability is notoriously hard to find in long-haul.

* US has had a string of exceedingly generous rewards recently. So there is some chance that down the road there will be something even more cost effective. Also, of course, one can never tell what offers other airline programs will come up with -- though it's hard to imagine they will be as generous as the current US offer.

* I can't find the post right now, but someone on FT suggested using the SPG "nights and flights" redemption. SPG points are extremely valuable on their hotel stays (especially on Cash and Points), so I wouldn't personally drain my SPG account.

Hope it works out, whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by Rom Sac; Jul 18, 2010 at 10:11 pm Reason: Minor typo
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rom Sac
As to New Zealand in particular, I'd check their forum, but I believe Air NZ premium availability is notoriously hard to find in long-haul.
I am going to Sydney in September and originally I was going to fly LAX-AKL-SYD on NZ with a stopover in AKL. Using the ANA tool I found a lot of options for many dates in business and economy. I never tried to book anything because I ended up going with the United Twitter fare to SYD but the availability seemed really good.

Right now I am planning a SYD-AKL-SYD award on NZ and again the availability looks really good.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:25 am

Consider that the bonus may not post. I signed up for the promo, confirmed with Dividend Miles Service Center that I was registered, did a very small transfer. The regular portion of the transfer has posted, but not the 50% bonus. It's been a bit over 7 days, and the promo states that bonus will be posted on a weekly basis, so I'm still hopeful, but certainly not convinced that I'll get the bonus without some amount of follow up.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Mr. S
I'm strongly considering transferring 170K points from SPG to US as part of the 50% promotion. After the transfer, my 170K points would become 310K Dividend Miles. The opportunity to create 140K miles/points from scratch seems to good to pass up. Is there any downside to doing this?

I primarily use my SPG points to top off airline accounts, usually AA, which is my favorite program and largest account. However, I presently have a boat load of miles on AA, plus a pretty good incoming stream of miles from Bank Direct. Transferring the 170K SPG points to AA would only amount to 210K AA miles (or 100K less than to US) - I know AA had a similar promotion last month....but, unfortunately, I missed it. While AA/One World is my favorite program, I'm a big Star Alliance fan, and there are some places where Star Alliance is better than One World. In thinking about our future travel, we would like to use our miles to go to Europe and/or some other far flung place like New Zealand or Palau where the Star Alliance network is pretty good.

In reading other threads, it would seem like the 2 biggest concerns are US leaving the Star Alliance (which can't happen for 5 years) and US' financial status. I think I can live those risks.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Would there be any reason not to execute the transfer?
You sure about the math?

Each 20K of the amount transferred earns a 5K bonus from SPG, right? So 160K would transfer into 200K DivMiles (8 * 25K). Then US gives you a 50% bonus of 100K making a total of 300K DivMiles.

If you transfer 170K you will get 210K DivMiles from SPG and then US will get you another 105K from the 50% blockbuster bonus making a total of 315K DivMiles.

Or did I get my math wrong?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Evan!
You sure about the math?

Each 20K of the amount transferred earns a 5K bonus from SPG, right? So 160K would transfer into 200K DivMiles (8 * 25K). Then US gives you a 50% bonus of 100K making a total of 300K DivMiles.

If you transfer 170K you will get 210K DivMiles from SPG and then US will get you another 105K from the 50% blockbuster bonus making a total of 315K DivMiles.

Or did I get my math wrong?
You're right. It's 315K. Better yet!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

This is tempting for me -- my main accounts are SPG and US Air and I have over 400k in each. Not sure I need all those extra US Air miles, love the flexibility of SPG. Probably won't do it.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
How are you doing on lifetime status at AA?

AA and US are my two favorite FF programs, but I strongly prefer AA miles because of lifetime status and OW RTW awards.

Although last month was the first time that AA did the bonus, I would be tempted to keep points at SPG and wait to see if AA repeats the promo, unless I absolutely needed the miles in US.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:23 pm

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
Can someone help me find the info on this..??

I might well want to convert some SPG points to bulk up the DM account for a couple tickets I want to give one of my kids for a honeymoon, but I can't seem to find the info on either the SPG site or the US site.

Any help is much appreciated. ^^

PhillyFive
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by PhillyFive
I might well want to convert some SPG points to bulk up the DM account for a couple tickets I want to give one of my kids for a honeymoon, but I can't seem to find the info on either the SPG site or the US site.

Any help is much appreciated. ^^

PhillyFive
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...tnerCode=USAIR and http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...c=dm_txt_00908
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by starflyer
Consider that the bonus may not post. I signed up for the promo, confirmed with Dividend Miles Service Center that I was registered, did a very small transfer. The regular portion of the transfer has posted, but not the 50% bonus. It's been a bit over 7 days, and the promo states that bonus will be posted on a weekly basis, so I'm still hopeful, but certainly not convinced that I'll get the bonus without some amount of follow up.
The 50% bonus posted.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:32 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by starflyer
The 50% bonus posted.
US monitors this site and probably knows who you are?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ffI
US monitors this site and probably knows who you are?
If US knows who I am and is interested in my business, they would fix some of the following rather stupid things:
1. Provide ticket receipts that show fare code, fare basis, and fare rule info, instead of making me place a phone call to find out this information.
2. Provide email confirmation of DM promotion registration.
3. Not charge me a $5 fee to select some of the better seats when I'm an elite.
4. Help me check in for a flight when I'm late for the original departure time but there in plenty of time for the delayed departure time (with seats still available), instead of leaving me to buy a ticket on another airline and follow up with US to claim a refund on my fully refundable ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.