Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Man at restaurant boasts to his friend that he's a "Premier USAirways Elite"

Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I was lunching in Tempe, AZ with my girlfriend today and she said "hey maybe that man at the next table is one of your Flyertalk buddies". I'm not usually an evesdropper but I listened in for a minute and the conversation was between two men, one of whom was a Dividend Miles Silver Elite. However, he kept saying "I'm one of USAirways's most Premier fliers. I fly 30 segments to be a Premier flyer. I always get into First Class". His friend seemed to know nothing about flying/elite status/miles so he seemed quite impressed.

I was tempted to go over and ask if he was an FTer but I didn't want to be rude.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Well to listen in on this will, frankly, make anyone interested -- actually not.

OK so really, who posts this silly carp and who actually listens in on anyone's conversation and post about it. Yikes, focus on your date, wife, etc.

Last edited by TPA us ff; Jul 12, 2010 at 8:20 pm
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Well to listen in on this will, frankly, make anyone interested -- actually not.

OK so really, who posts this silly carp and who actually listens in on anyone's conversation and post about it. Yikes, focus on your date, wife, etc.
Eavesdropping is one thing. Occasionally these people are quite loud in their boasting, however. No one likes a braggart, either way, and if I merely overheard this I probably would have snickered and given him the benefit of the doubt - perhaps he knows better but was merely trying to impress his pal.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Yikes, focus on your date, wife, etc.
Careful not to do both at the same time!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
OK so really, who posts this silly carp and who actually listens in on anyone's conversation and post about it.

I've read plenty of good "overheard" stories on FT.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Wow lighten up, I just thought it was a funny story and as my date, girlfriend, etc. didn't understand/care, I figured this was a good place to retell it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:16 pm

rude
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:46 pm

lighten up!

three points:

1) CMK10's lunch date brought it up: "hey maybe that man at the next table is one of your Flyertalk buddies"
2) as CMK10 himself stated: "I'm not usually an evesdropper"
3) any conversation in a public setting is fit for public consumption

CMK10, consider yourself vindicated!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: US Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Hey no big deal. Sometimes you can't help overhearing other peoples' conversations. And sometimes they're funny.

One day in BOS - the place was almost empty - there was a guy on his cell phone at the Club calling literally everyone he knew loudly telling them that he was elite silver! I moved away but he was still at it an hour later. LOL
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
For some people, it's a big deal... For FT'ers, not really.

HTSC

Originally Posted by Flying Gator
One day in BOS - the place was almost empty - there was a guy on his cell phone at the Club calling literally everyone he knew loudly telling them that he was elite silver! I moved away but he was still at it an hour later. LOL
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:40 am

Maybe the guy was fgettign his inspiration from "Up in The Air" and was about to make a move. "How about a night cap in my Platinum upgraded suite?"
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Who earns silver status by just segments?! Blah.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: Free Agent
So your girlfriend knows about your flyertalk fascination and still meets you for lunch?! Where do you find keepers like that?!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:04 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
So your girlfriend knows about your flyertalk fascination and still meets you for lunch?! Where do you find keepers like that?!
Now that is funny!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:13 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by stefg1007
Who earns silver status by just segments?! Blah.
I once earned Chairman's by segments and am now Gold by segments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.