Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I'm trying to find a decent fare for PHX-CLT-PVR-PHX (or any 4 pointer from PHX) but can't seem to do it. $800 is what I can come up with, not sure how some of you are finding $400-$500. Midweek only? Maybe it's just lower from east coast, I've only been trying from PHX.
Here's one I'm playing around with:

PHX-JFK (overnight)
LGA-DCA-CLT-MLB

This is $317 ai for several dates in August. This gets 4 points. (West, east, shuttle, new route.)

But it requires an overnight and transportation between JFK and LGA. And it requires you to get home from MLB. You can do that for about $160 on Delta. Or, rent a car to drive 1 hour to MCO to use miles on a pretty easy route -- MCO to PHX. I'm sure there are less cumbersome ways to do it, but the key to the itinerary is the $99 leg from LGA to MLB, which also includes the shuttle portion.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:34 am
Suspended

would this work??

CLT-MLB (2 points)

MLB-IAH (1 point)

IAH-YOW via CLT (1 point)

= 4?

3 seperate trips

all in 2 days
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by puchalskir
I'm trying to ascertain whether they purposely did not email this promotion to CP's since CP's appear to get the shaft.

If a CP received an email, maybe there is some hope for us.
I haven't gotten the email either (my wife, who's a Silver, did) but I've already re-qualified for next year so this promo is beyond useless to me (other than providing fun times watching everyone trying to figure it out ).
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration

CLT-MLB (2 points)

MLB-IAH (1 point)

IAH-YOW via CLT (1 point)
Until we start getting reports back the promo seems pretty complicated, but it looks right to me. East and New Route on the first. West on the second. New route on the third.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Originally Posted by treznor
I haven't gotten the email either (my wife, who's a Silver, did) but I've already re-qualified for next year so this promo is beyond useless to me (other than providing fun times watching everyone trying to figure it out ).
Is this promo valid for everyone or must you receive the email to be eligible?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Bagette
...What is DOO? (and from a different thread TIB?)...
A FlyerTalk Do is a gathering/meeting of flyers usually crazy about Miles and Points, meeting over a weekend somewhere (to get or use up Miles and Points). Look in the Community section under CommunityBuzz for the various announced Do(s). It's a good way to see a new place, and meet like-minded folks over drinks and dinner.

TIB = Track It Back, the luggage/electronics ID company and a non-airline partner of US. Late last year, they offered 40 Miles for every $1 spent with them, and if you played your cards right, US then added a 250% bonus - few, if any, promos have been better
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Here we go:

DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT-BOS-DCA for $356 .....

That's 2 hops (East and West), 1 jump (CLT-BTR) and 1 skip (BOS-DCA)
What dates? So far I haven't found one that doesn't nail me with the ~$350 sector just for BOS-DCA at the end. Or are you doing an overnight?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: US Chairman
I got lucky...booked a trip to MSP yesterday morning before knowledge of the promo, but it should count because it was done on 7/7. I have to travel to Boston in Aug, so I just booked that via LGA instead of taking the direct flight. So now I will have 3, looks like either a quick trip to MLB or BTR for me and I'll be CP for next year.

I'll be happy because I know I will be CP, but it will be short lived. As a segment flier, I would never achieve it the "real" way. I was just barely going to keep Plat this year. I think the existing CP's kind of get shafted. I would imagine that they would be the ones to get 4 pretty easy...so maybe that will at least maintain their status for next year if they hit that mark.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: US CP
I would hope it included CPs, because if it doesn't and the only way I can be a repeat CP is 100K bis miles, and everybody else can do it by flying a few flights (albeit oddly constructed ones....!), I really will be p#*&ed off! They can replace all the former really mad CPs who status match with anyone else but US, with the newly minted ones!

And no, I have not received an email, and have no clue what it would take to retain status, beyond the normal way.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
So does anyone know for sure if it's based on your current status or your expected status for 2011?

I'm gold now but will be silver for 2011 - it's worth it if I could make myself platinum with only 4 things checked off...
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tegwj
What dates? So far I haven't found one that doesn't nail me with the ~$350 sector just for BOS-DCA at the end. Or are you doing an overnight?
Plenty of dates with same day return, but are M,T,W, Thr. Pulled up as one flight via Matrix ITA so might need to book via expedia because of the short connection time in BTR.

You have to get creative - I can only get the BTR-CLT-BOS-DCA leg to show up on kayak as a 1 way. Might call US?

Edit:

You can use the multi-destination tool on expedia to build the proper itinerary.

Last edited by GoodOmens; Jul 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Angry Current Chairman's Preferred Members NOT ELIGIBLE for HSJ Promotion

Ok, so I just got off a lengthy phone call with the Dividend Miles folks on the Chairman's Desk. The initial representative had not yet read the promo, so I was transfered to someone else. This person said first that I would need 4 promotion qualifying segments to re-up up CP status for 2011 program year^. I was then put on hold and she came back to tell me I needed 16 segments, then the story changed back to 4^.

Finally, I was transferred to Dividend Miles supervisor MARK who told me definitively: Current Chairman's Preferred members are EXCLUDED from this promotion. I told him that I appreciated the fact that he didn't create this promotion, but this was extremely unfair to current CP members in that the CP level will become diluted in the 2011 program year by MANY Platinum members who will take advantage of this promo and would otherwise not qualify for CP.

He said that he purpose of the promo is to introduce lower tier members to new routes, not allow CP's to re-up with four segments. He then said he understood the concern and there has been talk about this already. He said that there will be some sort of promotion or offer targeted at current CP members coming soon. I'm not sure whether to believe this or not, but that's the information I got.

I think ALL CP members need to make our voices heard that the current situation is NOT acceptable by emailing the Chairman's Preferred Service Center. If you need the CP service center email, please PM me.

El Jefe
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by el_jefe
Ok, so I just got off a lengthy phone call...
Thanks for donating your time to the cause and taking one for the team. I knew it would be a painful phone call, rife with misinformation. Glad you eventually got to a reliable source.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs down Confirmed: Nothing for Chairman's members (at least for now)

I received an email response from a supervisor at Dividend Miles, explaining that the current promotion does not include any provision for current Chairman's Preferred members.

The supervisor clearly understood the problem with this approach and said that they are working on management to fix it.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by el_jefe
Ok, so I just got off a lengthy phone call with the Dividend Miles folks on the Chairman's Desk. The initial representative had not yet read the promo, so I was transfered to someone else. This person said first that I would need 4 promotion qualifying segments to re-up up CP status for 2011 program year^. I was then put on hold and she came back to tell me I needed 16 segments, then the story changed back to 4^.

Finally, I was transferred to Dividend Miles supervisor MARK who told me definitively: Current Chairman's Preferred members are EXCLUDED from this promotion. I told him that I appreciated the fact that he didn't create this promotion, but this was extremely unfair to current CP members in that the CP level will become diluted in the 2011 program year by MANY Platinum members who will take advantage of this promo and would otherwise not qualify for CP.

He said that he purpose of the promo is to introduce lower tier members to new routes, not allow CP's to re-up with four segments. He then said he understood the concern and there has been talk about this already. He said that there will be some sort of promotion or offer targeted at current CP members coming soon. I'm not sure whether to believe this or not, but that's the information I got.

I think ALL CP members need to make our voices heard that the current situation is NOT acceptable by emailing the Chairman's Preferred Service Center. If you need the CP service center email, please PM me.

El Jefe
I'm with you! Moving people up a notch on the totem pole of upgrades while smacking people who were already on top down isn't just unfair it's cruel! I've been loyal US Customer for 2 years since switching from Delta. I'm CP currently on US Airways. I just emailed CP desk and told them what I think of this promo. Time to start shopping around I guess. Right now I'm on track to hit GOLD, maybe Platinum for 2011 with real airline miles.

I had 4 trips booked before DEQM promo so I got rubbed on that one. They really have screwed this promo up and I'm afraid that next 18 months chances of upgrade at GOLD and PLATINUM will be ZERO!

Sad Sad day for a US Airways Fan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.