Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by lksf
Is there an easy 3 point route?

I am going on a 5 point that will include East,West,Europe,Tel Aviv and CLT-FCO.
Now need 3 more to get to CP.

Unfortunately, I am located in SFO, and it seems that all other "easy" points are on the east coast. I don't mind going on a Transcon, for this actually UA will be better for me as I need about 9K to maintain me PE, and using the HSJ makes it so you don't need EQM anymore for another year...

Any suggestions?
Ideally you'd do something while on the east cost -- force a trip north including a shuttle and the PBG run.

The only 2 pointer available form the West coast within "reason" is PHX-MBJ. This is available outbound for under $300 exactly 5 more flights -- Tuesday, the 9th, 14, 15, and 16th. You could route from there to MCO or FLL cheapest on some other carrier nonstop, rent a car or tri tri rail to get to MLB, and return through CLT. I dont see it happening wihtout 2 overnights -- on in MBJ and on in ... umm.. MCI? So says ITA... ok then.

The westward hop is worse; available the 13th and 14th. You could make your way to MLB and drive to MCO and fly to MJB, or make your way to MCO, drive to MLB, and route to MJB via CLT. I played a bit, you MIGHT be able to pull this off with one hotel night, but its still gonna rung up 800 or a grand out of pocket. Ouch.

Might as well bang out to DCA-BOS-PBG and snag an esaver to BDA. Might be cheaper. But not fast. This eats a weekend.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
There's a local airline that connects PVR and SJD; I forget the name but it's upthread (buried in 1000 posts). You could find it form the airports websites -- there are lists of the airlines that fly in. The connection was about $100 or $150. It's tough to do a 1 day turn there, so you might as well fly into one and out of the other. I got the Westin on the beach in PVR for something like $50 on priceline a while ago.
Pages 33-35 and See posts 487 to 510:
Quote: Originally Posted by ludocdoc
"Anyone have ideas on how to get between PVR and SJD? I cant find any ferry services, and the flights are quite expensive. The connection adds almost enough monty to do two out and backs."
---
Originally posted by Itsme110 - "There is a small airline called Aero Calafia. They have one flight a day from pvr to Cabo, stopping in Mazatlan. I have never flown with them, but i have friends who do all the time, and they say they are a good outfit. "

You then had your own quote of $160 in post #510.
(The other routes for MX were via MEX or so for $350 or so, you had noted.)
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Just got home after a long day getting my 4 points:

Friday: CO metal PHX-IAD-MCO....rented a car, got a nice Mustang convertible upgrade and drove down the coast to MLB

Saturday: US metal MLB-CLT-DCA-LGA-CLT-PHX

Very long and tiring but worth it...got upgraded on the 3 US segments that had FC. Bulkheads for the others. Surprising how busy Saturday travel was on the east coast: full flights, overbooked, etc. Fortunately, every flight was on time! Let's see how long US takes to post my new status.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: UA AA and more
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Ideally you'd do something while on the east cost -- force a trip north including a shuttle and the PBG run.

The only 2 pointer available form the West coast within "reason" is PHX-MBJ. This is available outbound for under $300 exactly 5 more flights -- Tuesday, the 9th, 14, 15, and 16th. You could route from there to MCO or FLL cheapest on some other carrier nonstop, rent a car or tri tri rail to get to MLB, and return through CLT. I dont see it happening wihtout 2 overnights -- on in MBJ and on in ... umm.. MCI? So says ITA... ok then.

The westward hop is worse; available the 13th and 14th. You could make your way to MLB and drive to MCO and fly to MJB, or make your way to MCO, drive to MLB, and route to MJB via CLT. I played a bit, you MIGHT be able to pull this off with one hotel night, but its still gonna rung up 800 or a grand out of pocket. Ouch.

Might as well bang out to DCA-BOS-PBG and snag an esaver to BDA. Might be cheaper. But not fast. This eats a weekend.
Ok, I think I'm working out my itinerary, let me know what you think:

SFO-PHL-YHZ
Then taking a 2-3 days of autumn scenic trip (or am I dreaming and it's gonna be boring?)
PBG-BOS-DCA-CLT-FCO-TLV
and back when done
TLV-PHL-SFO

So let's count it all:
West, East, PHL-YHZ, PBG-BOS, BOS-DCA,CLT-FCO, Europe, Tel-Aviv

Am I going to get all the 8 points?

Will I still get the 8 points if I do one of the Transcon legs on UA?

Only a few issues left here:
A. I couldn't price it all in one ticket so far, even on ITA, not to mention that I have no clue how I am going to get this on the bookable sites.
B. PHL-YHZ is CRJ (eeeeewwwww)
C. PBG-BOS is SAAB SF 340 (double eeeeewwwww)
D. The wife is not gonna be pleased (and that's an understatement) about going PBG-BOS-DCA-CLT-FCO-TLV
E. Traveling with an infant, B*C*D^EEEEWWWWWAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by lksf
Ok, I think I'm working out my itinerary, let me know what you think:

SFO-PHL-YHZ
Then taking a 2-3 days of autumn scenic trip (or am I dreaming and it's gonna be boring?)
PBG-BOS-DCA-CLT-FCO-TLV
and back when done
TLV-PHL-SFO

So let's count it all:
West, East, PHL-YHZ, PBG-BOS, BOS-DCA,CLT-FCO, Europe, Tel-Aviv

Am I going to get all the 8 points?

Will I still get the 8 points if I do one of the Transcon legs on UA?

Only a few issues left here:
A. I couldn't price it all in one ticket so far, even on ITA, not to mention that I have no clue how I am going to get this on the bookable sites.
B. PHL-YHZ is CRJ (eeeeewwwww)
C. PBG-BOS is SAAB SF 340 (double eeeeewwwww)
D. The wife is not gonna be pleased (and that's an understatement) about going PBG-BOS-DCA-CLT-FCO-TLV
E. Traveling with an infant, B*C*D^EEEEWWWWWAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Any thoughts?
Thoughts:
Didnt realize you hadnt booked/committed to your TATL legs. That opens some more possibilities.
Nova Scotia is said to be quite beautiful year round. Timed right, should be great.
Rental car drop fees from Canada to the US are ugly.
The CAT ferry from NS to Maine is closed.
YOW is pretty close to PBG, sort of. There's bus and train connections through YUL. Same drop fee madness hurts you.
The SAAB is 1-2. I'm seated on the 1 side for my run at the end of the month. How bad can that be for an hour?
The answer: bad if you have a baby.

Do all of you have to come on the run? How bout positioning yourself SFO-PHL for a weekend of US history. One day the fam stays put and you go grab the CLT-BTR-CLT-MLB-CLT-PHL runs. Put em in NYC instead so you can work in a shuttle point somewhere and you're done.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: US CP, Hertz Pres Cir, HH Dia, Marriott Gold
Finally Booked It -- Now Cross Fingers

Ok. I finally booked my 4-point trip:

LGA - DCA - CLT - BTR

My return:

BTR -- to where I actually need to go!

$168 for my 1-way 4 pointer, then business for the remainder. Just need to hope all my connections go as planned or this could be ugly. Need to turn around on the same flight in BTR (at least that's what FTers told me) to make my destination. Land 5:47PM in BTR, depart 6:15PM. I hope Chairman is worth it.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by lkar
Anyone have any thoughts about the best seats on the CRJs to and from MLB and BTR? Currently booked in exits, but they all look crummy.
We did the exit row out to BTR and the bulkhead back. The exit row has less cushioning. You can even see the difference, and feel it. And no extra legroom whatsoever. We were delayed in CLT an hour due to Tstorms, so it was a long time in those seats. In the bulkhead, you can happily run off the plane when you arrive. So get the bulkhead or any row in the front and you will be better off. Do a search, someone calls the CRJ Crappy Regional Jet.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: US Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond , IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Need Help!

I am ashamed to admit that this has me more confused than any promo I have ever seen. I am a Chairman with 64 segments this year so far. If I achieve 4 hop, skip, jumps does that put me up to Platinum? I would have made 90 segments and Platinum anyway. Am I looking at this wrong? Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peterlew56
I am ashamed to admit that this has me more confused than any promo I have ever seen. I am a Chairman with 64 segments this year so far. If I achieve 4 hop, skip, jumps does that put me up to Platinum? I would have made 90 segments and Platinum anyway. Am I looking at this wrong? Thanks
You would be CP through Feb 2012 with 4 points regardless of your segments / miles for the year.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by CTflyer51
Ok. I finally booked my 4-point trip:

LGA - DCA - CLT - BTR

My return:

BTR -- to where I actually need to go!

$168 for my 1-way 4 pointer, then business for the remainder. Just need to hope all my connections go as planned or this could be ugly. Need to turn around on the same flight in BTR (at least that's what FTers told me) to make my destination. Land 5:47PM in BTR, depart 6:15PM. I hope Chairman is worth it.
Did this flight yesterday and returned to LGA same day. Everything worked out fine, same equipment on CLT-BTR and BTR-CLT...have fun!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: American Gold; SW A list; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
status shows quickly!

finished 4 segs of hop skip jump thurs 8/5 late eve (no special itineraries; took about a month of ordinary travel) and on 8/8 (checking on something else) CP desk verified CP status good thru 2/2012. Grateful for quick adjustment!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:29 pm

Looking to do the BOS-PBG in one day but can't book it because the short time in between flights. So I need some advice from anyone who has done this. Did you book two one ways and do you have to go any distance when you arrive in PBG to catch the next flight out? I have tried to book through USAir and orbitz but been denied both times. Prefer to get this done in one day and avoid an over night stay in PBG if possible. Help from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by needavaykay
Did you book two one ways and do you have to go any distance when you arrive in PBG to catch the next flight out? I have tried to book through USAir and orbitz but been denied both times.
Try Expedia. Thats how I booked my 28 minutes turn at BTR.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by needavaykay
Looking to do the BOS-PBG in one day but can't book it because the short time in between flights. So I need some advice from anyone who has done this. Did you book two one ways and do you have to go any distance when you arrive in PBG to catch the next flight out? I have tried to book through USAir and orbitz but been denied both times. Prefer to get this done in one day and avoid an over night stay in PBG if possible. Help from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.
As stated just above, try Expedia (or Orbitz) to get around that short turn around. The US site lets you book connecting flights less than 60 minutes (i.e. AAA-CLT-BBB) but not at the turn-around point on a round trip. Very contradictory.

Or you could book BOS-PBG and PBG-BOS as separate one way trips on US - usually prices out the same overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.