Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
On a side note, I am on the first half of my H/S/J run and if your looking at doing a one day turn around in MBJ, it is possible but with a little luck and the right factors, it can be done. Essentially you need to be upgraded to 1st class on the early morning flight from CLT-MBJ, walk across the airport, clear immigration (they thought I was crazy for flying down to MBJ for one night just for airline points) clear customs, check back in and try and clear immigration and customs again. At any time if you flight is delayed etc on the incoming or there are a lot of flights all arriving that morning, immigration could slow you down and make you miss the all important MBJ-PHX route.

Good luck to all!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Sabre1
FWIW, I nominated my son to SP (from nothing) on 7/12, then did the BTR run with the family and he was upgraded to Gold. I know that's not what the terms state, but in my son's case he did get the upgrade to gold with a post 7/7 change in status.
Did he have a US account at all before July 7? We might expect an anomaly when the account is created after July 7 and its created as silver. I think the consensus in the thread is that if you get bumped up based on anything that happens to your status after July 7, you're lucky, and YMMV. I just wouldnt count on it.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Status Updated !

Just wanted to share my experience with a 4 point run I completed Tuesday -

LGA->DCA->CLT->BTR->CLT->LGA

As others have stated it's the same plane that immediately turns around in BTR so the "connection" is no problem. The miles and segments posted early this morning and my status was just updated this afternoon.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
I thought this would be only 2 pts?

Originally Posted by steve65341

As others have stated it's the same plane that immediately turns around in BTR so the "connection" is no problem. The miles and segments posted early this morning and my status was just updated this afternoon.
Doesn't this count as only 2 pts:

"Skip" shuttle run of LGA/DCA

"Jump" a new route of CLT/BTR

thanks for clarifying
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by racefaith
Doesn't this count as only 2 pts:

"Skip" shuttle run of LGA/DCA

"Jump" a new route of CLT/BTR

thanks for clarifying
LGA-DCA is also US East, and BTR is in the US West region, so it gets both of those points as well.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott-SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Did he have a US account at all before July 7? We might expect an anomaly when the account is created after July 7 and its created as silver. I think the consensus in the thread is that if you get bumped up based on anything that happens to your status after July 7, you're lucky, and YMMV. I just wouldnt count on it.
Yup, he had an account and about 58k miles in it from travel over the past several years.

I agree it's YMMV, but want to put the data point out there that in at least 1 case, they based the bump on a post 7/7 status change.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:16 pm

I have a question I hope someone can help me with. If i book a one way flight from ELM to PBG and it has 2 stops...one in PHL and one in BOS...does that count as my new route or does it have to be booked as BOS to PBG only, with the stops not counting?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott-SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by needavaykay
I have a question I hope someone can help me with. If i book a one way flight from ELM to PBG and it has 2 stops...one in PHL and one in BOS...does that count as my new route or does it have to be booked as BOS to PBG only, with the stops not counting?
As long as you fly BOS-PBG or PBG-BOS you'll get the point for the new route. Segments before or after won't matter (though they could gain you other points like East or West Hops, a Shuttle Skip, etc.

In your example EML-PHL-BOS-PBG could net up to 2 points (east hop, new route jump). If you can swap PHL for DCA or LGA you could potentially get 3 points...

i.e. ELM-LGA-BOS-PBG or ELM-DCA-BOS-PBG since you'd be adding in a shuttle flight for the skip point.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:28 pm

Thanks Sabre1 for the information. That helps alot.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:14 pm

Anyone had luck booking the PBG flight to BOS? The connection time is only 25 min. and I cant book on USAir website or Orbitz because the time is not long enough. I read from other posts about booking two one way tickets to get around this problem. Has anyone done this successfully? I really wanted to do this in one day if at all possible.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
I did a quick search of the thread but wasn't able to find anything. If I use a credit from a previously canceled flight from before the promo period to book a new ticket, will I still get credit for the flight under this promo? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience. Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:12 am

best PHL route?

Can someone who has already done the homework suggest the cheapest/most painless 4 pt. mileage run out of PHL? I'm flexible as to weekday vs. weekend, but I probably can't do it until the end of Sept. I am currently SP looking to bump up to GP.

Thanks if you can help!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

For you based at PHL the easiest 4 pointer would be:
PHL-LGA
LGA-DCA
DCA-CLT
CLT-BTR
BTR-CLT
CLT-PHL

No overnight stay required and you can do it for around $400. And you have to book it as a multi city on Expedia or Travelocity. You can't book CLT-BTR-CLT on US Airways web page.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: UA-Platinum; HHonors-Diamond; Hertz Five Star; Priority Club-Gold
Originally Posted by steve65341

You were on Tue July 27? me, too

I went through CLT and BTR that day, too, but came from BOS and went back through DCA.

My status updated to Platinum too! woo hoo! It says this in the 'Your account' section with the 'Platinum Preferred Dividend Miles' logo and it also says 'Platinum' next to 'Preferred Status' under that.

However, the Gold Preferred logo is still showing at the top right of the page between my name, # of miles and 'Log out'.

Last edited by daterps; Jul 30, 2010 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
I'll be on PHX-MBJ in F tomorrow (7/31) @ 8:50am with a friend. We are are returning Sunday through CLT. Anyone else going to be on any of these flights?

PHX-MBJ-CLT-PHX = 4 Credits!

El Jefe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.