Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by johnep1
Nope.
Nope meaning... Both?

I can't combine them at all because the status didn't post in time? DAMN! So close
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I'm trying to find a decent fare for PHX-CLT-PVR-PHX (or any 4 pointer from PHX) but can't seem to do it. $800 is what I can come up with, not sure how some of you are finding $400-$500. Midweek only? Maybe it's just lower from east coast, I've only been trying from PHX.

And of course though I'm gold I'm a tad hesitant since I haven't qualified for anything in 2011 yet. I want to know I'm bumping myself to plat and not just from nothing to silver. I am fairly used to US' clear as mud promotions though.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
The clarification on trial elite makes it pretty clear to me that this is what they mean, since they count trial Silver as Silver for those who have it.
According to the TCs "If you are enrolled in our Trial Preferred program, any change to your status from this promotion will occur after your trial period ends. " So this suggests to me that if you don't make your Trial Preferred Status, i.e. Silver, Gold or whatever, then your present status will be your starting point. If you are Trial Preferred for Silver and miss it by not flying enough, then the one bump would then bring you to Silver. "Your hop, skip and jump count will affect your pre-trial status, not your current trial status."

If you look at the incredibly long list of flights they supplied by the 'member' on the FAQ page, he took a lot of flights but they only qualified him for 3 hops, 1 skip and 1 jump. To have increased his H,S,J's I'm thinking he would have also had to have had a trip to Europe, one to the Carribbean, Asia, and/or South America.

And I agree, it doesn't particularly 'reward' the consistently frequent fliers who fly the same routes over and over because of business, etc.

I have AGS-CLT-ORD scheduled - that would be an East
AGS-CLT-PHL-MAN that would be Europe
CLT-SJD (Cabo) - hoping that will count even though booked before 7/7

Do any of the above count for more than one?

I'm thinking I need to go visit my Cousin in Seattle to get the fourth. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Just wanted to get some confirmation that BOS-PBG + BOS-CLT-BTR would get me 4 hops, skips, and jumps?

BOS-PBG (new route)
CLT-BTR (new route)
CLT-BTR (North america, west)
BOS-CLT (North america, east)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by bthobe
After reading through the thread, I am just as long as everyone else. What is really confusing me is the "pre-offer" status. What does that mean? Currently I am US Gold but have only flown 5k miles this year. If I fly 8 hop,skip and jumps, does that mean I am Chairman through Feb 2012? Or since I haven't really earned anything this year, I would only be Gold again?
Beckles said that you'd be Gold, but I'm thinking you'd be Chairman. Your status -- pre-offer -- is Gold, right? Why should it matter if you've only flown 5K miles this year if your status is Gold?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
So let me get this straight --

If you are Platinum and fly 4 H/S/Js you will be Chairman for 19 months.

If you are Chairman the is nothing you can do to extend your status that long other than fly the regular 120 segments / 100k miles

I find it very hard to believe that everyone but Chairman's members can take advantage of this promotion. Though maybe I shouldn't. I put an e-mail into the CP desk we'll see what they say.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jfunk138
Just wanted to get some confirmation that BOS-PBG + BOS-CLT-BTR would get me 4 hops, skips, and jumps?

BOS-PBG (new route)
CLT-BTR (new route)
CLT-BTR (North america, west)
BOS-CLT (North america, east)

Hey, Jfunk138,

not sure about the PBG, but I found a 4 pointer out of BOS in one day...

BOS -> CLT -> BTR ($140 including taxes on Wed August 11)

BOS -> CLT gets 1 point for East Region,
CLT -> BTR Gets 2 points for West Region and New City

Then BTR -> CLT -> DCA -> BOS ($187 Including taxes Same Day trip)

DCA -> BOS gets us the shuttle point.

They would need to be booked as 2 One-ways though because the computer won’t let you book the return flight out of BTR because it departs less than an hour after scheduled arrival (though, I’m sure it’s the same exact plane going back to CLT, so I don’t see why it matters )

Hope this helps!

Matt Gulino
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:40 am

I’d be curious how you all read my situation. I did trial preferred, starting in March. I met the 7500 challenge, and received a “welcome to silver” e-mail from US on 7/5. I currently have only about 15k EQM for this calendar year. I did not have status last year.

As I’m reading the promo, if I do 4 hop/skips/jumps, it will give me gold through Feb 2012. It won’t matter what I earn for the rest of this year. Do others read it differently?

Bummer is that I already have 2 hops scheduled for the next few weeks, but I think a 4 segment trip to gold shouldn’t be that hard to arrange.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Here we go:

DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT-BOS-DCA for $356 .....

That's 2 hops (East and West), 1 jump (CLT-BTR) and 1 skip (BOS-DCA)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bthobe
After reading through the thread, I am just as long as everyone else. What is really confusing me is the "pre-offer" status. What does that mean? Currently I am US Gold but have only flown 5k miles this year. If I fly 8 hop,skip and jumps, does that mean I am Chairman through Feb 2012? Or since I haven't really earned anything this year, I would only be Gold again?
Originally Posted by Beckles
You're Gold.
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Beckles said that you'd be Gold, but I'm thinking you'd be Chairman. Your status -- pre-offer -- is Gold, right? Why should it matter if you've only flown 5K miles this year if your status is Gold?
Actually, I was answering his first question about pre-offer status and not his second, He is Gold and in his example (hence my "you're Gold" answer to that), then for the second part he would move to CP, as is clearly outlined in the FAQ once we've established they're Gold.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Here we go:

DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT-BOS-DCA for $356 .....

That's 2 hops (East and West), 1 jump (CLT-BTR) and 1 skip (BOS-DCA)
Where are you getting west out of that? BTR looks to be counting as east to me.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:52 am

From the FAQ:

North America, west includes: New Orleans, LA; Baton Rouge, LA; Little Rock, AR; St. Louis, MO; Des Moines, IA; plus the Canadian cities of Edmonton, Alberta; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia; and Anchorage, AK.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Where are you getting west out of that? BTR looks to be counting as east to me.
The FAQ
Originally Posted by US Airways FAQ
What's the difference between North American regions that count as hops?

We've divided up the U.S. and Canada along the Mississippi River to define east and west.

North America, east includes: Gulfport, MS; Jackson, MS; Memphis, TN; Chicago, IL; Milwaukee, WI; plus the Canadian cities of Halifax, Nova Scotia; Montreal, Quebec; Ottawa, Ontario; and Toronto, Ontario.

North America, west includes: New Orleans, LA; Baton Rouge, LA; Little Rock, AR; St. Louis, MO; Des Moines, IA; plus the Canadian cities of Edmonton, Alberta; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia; and Anchorage, AK.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:56 am

Trying to price PHX-PVR-CLT-PHX for various August dates and it's coming back pretty high. That CLT-PVR leg seems expensive. I'm not that sophisticated with mileage runs and I'm just entering it as a multi-city trip. Can anyone give me pointers? Anyone else figure out a good 4-point itinerary from PHX yet?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
At the risk of adding more confusion, both BTR and MSY airports are on the east side of the Mississippi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.