Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

 
Old Jul 7, 10, 8:14 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BUF/LAS
Programs: US CP
Posts: 85
Ok, I truly don't get this. Currently a CP, next flight (booking BUF to LAS and back in the next few days) will bring me up to Platinum for next year(including 2 hops).....so if I get 2 more hops/skips/jumps does that mean I don't have to fly any more and I will be a Chairman's again? And if I have 75k miles, but only get the 2 hops and don't go to any other regions, I need to fly 25k more? Why would I not take a quick jaunt to LGA, shuttle up to BOS then fly to Plattsburgh and home (which gets me the 2 more skip and jumps), rather than fly an extra 25k miles? There just seems to have to be something wrong with my reasoning. Help!
Feliceesq is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 8:15 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 84
I can't figure out if I like this promo or not! On one hand I like the idea that it's a little tougher and stops everyone from getting status. But on the other hand it's a little more complicated then I would like.

If I am reading this right by making (4) of these conditions then I move up one status level. I'm currently CP and if I can get CP status again for all of 2011 by taking 4 trips I will find a way to get this done quick.

This really sounds way too good to be true. Does anybody know if I am reading this wrong or not understanding it correctly?

Kevin L
The CVG KID
mister880 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:41 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: pvr
Programs: US C.P.
Posts: 546
I just phoned the Plat line, and they have no idea. it´s nightime and they said it is confusing and the experts will be in tomorrow morning........so i´ll call back. Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
C´mon experts.........what´s everyone´s guess as to how many points I get for that. I would guess 4. What does everyone else think??
itsme110 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:46 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SAN
Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by itsme110 View Post
I just phoned the Plat line, and they have no idea. it´s nightime and they said it is confusing and the experts will be in tomorrow morning........so i´ll call back. Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
C´mon experts.........what´s everyone´s guess as to how many points I get for that. I would guess 4. What does everyone else think??
You get 3 hops and a jump.

And if this is possibly correct you would be CP through Feb 2012 - no matter how many miles you have flown so far in 2010
PHX_SOUS is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:54 pm
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 27,924
Originally Posted by itsme110 View Post
Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
C´mon experts.........what´s everyone´s guess as to how many points I get for that. I would guess 4. What does everyone else think??
If you booked it before today, I'm guessing 0. If you booked it today, or haven't booked it yet, I agree on 4.
CPRich is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:56 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: pvr
Programs: US C.P.
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS View Post
You get 3 hops and a jump.

And if this is possibly correct you would be CP through Feb 2012 - no matter how many miles you have flown so far in 2010
so does that mean that if i´m a c.p. now that qualified in 2009, with 0 miles this year.......if i get 4 points I will carry my c.p. through 2012
itsme110 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 10:56 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Posts: 15,419
One trip from MCI to PBG, with a Shuttle segment included (which several of the least expensive routing options include), will get me Gold Preferred through 2/29/12 ... I'll be all over that like stink on a monkey. Have to see if maybe I can work a CLT-BTR to be cheaper though with a Shuttle segment.

I think the FAQ's make it pretty clear how this promotion works, I really don't understand all the claims otherwise in this thread.
Originally Posted by mister880 View Post
I'm currently CP and if I can get CP status again for all of 2011 by taking 4 trips I will find a way to get this done quick.
Originally Posted by itsme110 View Post
so does that mean that if i´m a c.p. now that qualified in 2009, with 0 miles this year.......if i get 4 points I will carry my c.p. through 2012
This promotion does not apply to anyone who currently is CP as the rules are written and is explained in the FAQ.
Beckles is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 11:44 pm
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington DC
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 1,304
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
This promotion does not apply to anyone who currently is CP as the rules are written and is explained in the FAQ.
So your definition of "Pre-offer Preferred status" (which is the term used by the promo--not "current" status) is the status earned as of last year, which means that someone who earned CP for 2010, but hasn't flown since January 1 gets bupkis even if s/he hits all 16 counts under this promo?

Or would said 2010 CP get CP again because his/her "Pre-offer Preferred status" was actually non-status (by virtue of no 2010 flights), even though s/he is a "current" CP?
DCAorBust is offline  
Old Jul 7, 10, 11:57 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Florida
Programs: PC Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 82
If I am reading this right a CLT-BTR-CLT flight will count 3 times, North America east hop, N.A. west hop & Charlotte to Baton Rouge jump. A CLT-MLB will count as the Charlotte to Melbourne jump and also get you Space Coast 1000 bonus miles promo.
jbelinc is offline  
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:10 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: US GP, UA Prem Exec, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,
Posts: 15
Way too cutesy!

Somebody got way too carried away with the rules on this one. I've seen more clear instructions from games my four-year old made up!
sbeach is offline  
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:31 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
Posts: 586
After reading through the thread, I am just as long as everyone else. What is really confusing me is the "pre-offer" status. What does that mean? Currently I am US Gold but have only flown 5k miles this year. If I fly 8 hop,skip and jumps, does that mean I am Chairman through Feb 2012? Or since I haven't really earned anything this year, I would only be Gold again?

Any help would be greatly apperciated.
bthobe is offline  
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:31 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 4,811
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Found DCA-CLT-PVR-PHX-DCA which would get 3 hops (East, west, central america) and 1 jump (CLT-PVR) for $507 same day return. Now just need to get it cheaper.....
So that's 4 different items for $507. Seems reasonable for plats trying to get to CP.

Or just CLT-PVR-PHX-CLT would get 4 items. Not too shabby.

Last edited by johnep1; Jul 8, 10 at 1:14 am
johnep1 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:33 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Posts: 1,263
This is wayyy too complicated!

"Hop, skip and jump" sound so simple in reality - indeed the expression denotes simplicity... yet this has to be the most complex and convoluted scheme I have ever read! I'm flummoxed and it's too much like hard work to work out how best to benefit.
Johnny Rocket is offline  
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:58 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
This is wayyy too complicated!

"Hop, skip and jump" sound so simple in reality - indeed the expression denotes simplicity... yet this has to be the most complex and convoluted scheme I have ever read! I'm flummoxed and it's too much like hard work to work out how best to benefit.
yes, but they will fill up a lot of flights for these routes that they probably normally dont do
bossku69 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 10, 1:48 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
One trip from MCI to PBG, with a Shuttle segment included (which several of the least expensive routing options include), will get me Gold Preferred through 2/29/12 ... I'll be all over that like stink on a monkey. Have to see if maybe I can work a CLT-BTR to be cheaper though with a Shuttle segment.

I think the FAQ's make it pretty clear how this promotion works, I really don't understand all the claims otherwise in this thread.


This promotion does not apply to anyone who currently is CP as the rules are written and is explained in the FAQ.
Where in the FAQ does it say anything about current CP?
mister880 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: