Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Old Jul 7, 10, 8:14 pm

Programs: US CP
Ok, I truly don't get this. Currently a CP, next flight (booking BUF to LAS and back in the next few days) will bring me up to Platinum for next year(including 2 hops).....so if I get 2 more hops/skips/jumps does that mean I don't have to fly any more and I will be a Chairman's again? And if I have 75k miles, but only get the 2 hops and don't go to any other regions, I need to fly 25k more? Why would I not take a quick jaunt to LGA, shuttle up to BOS then fly to Plattsburgh and home (which gets me the 2 more skip and jumps), rather than fly an extra 25k miles? There just seems to have to be something wrong with my reasoning. Help!
Old Jul 7, 10, 8:15 pm

I can't figure out if I like this promo or not! On one hand I like the idea that it's a little tougher and stops everyone from getting status. But on the other hand it's a little more complicated then I would like.

If I am reading this right by making (4) of these conditions then I move up one status level. I'm currently CP and if I can get CP status again for all of 2011 by taking 4 trips I will find a way to get this done quick.

This really sounds way too good to be true. Does anybody know if I am reading this wrong or not understanding it correctly?

Kevin L
The CVG KID
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:41 pm

Programs: US C.P.
I just phoned the Plat line, and they have no idea. it´s nightime and they said it is confusing and the experts will be in tomorrow morning........so i´ll call back. Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
C´mon experts.........what´s everyone´s guess as to how many points I get for that. I would guess 4. What does everyone else think??
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Originally Posted by itsme110 View Post
I just phoned the Plat line, and they have no idea. it´s nightime and they said it is confusing and the experts will be in tomorrow morning........so i´ll call back. Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
C´mon experts.........what´s everyone´s guess as to how many points I get for that. I would guess 4. What does everyone else think??
You get 3 hops and a jump.

And if this is possibly correct you would be CP through Feb 2012 - no matter how many miles you have flown so far in 2010
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Next week I am flying PVR-PHX-CLT-YYZ-CLT-PVR.
If you booked it before today, I'm guessing 0. If you booked it today, or haven't booked it yet, I agree on 4.
Old Jul 7, 10, 9:56 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS View Post
You get 3 hops and a jump.

And if this is possibly correct you would be CP through Feb 2012 - no matter how many miles you have flown so far in 2010
so does that mean that if i´m a c.p. now that qualified in 2009, with 0 miles this year.......if i get 4 points I will carry my c.p. through 2012
Old Jul 7, 10, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
One trip from MCI to PBG, with a Shuttle segment included (which several of the least expensive routing options include), will get me Gold Preferred through 2/29/12 ... I'll be all over that like stink on a monkey. Have to see if maybe I can work a CLT-BTR to be cheaper though with a Shuttle segment.

I think the FAQ's make it pretty clear how this promotion works, I really don't understand all the claims otherwise in this thread.
Originally Posted by mister880 View Post
I'm currently CP and if I can get CP status again for all of 2011 by taking 4 trips I will find a way to get this done quick.
so does that mean that if i´m a c.p. now that qualified in 2009, with 0 miles this year.......if i get 4 points I will carry my c.p. through 2012
This promotion does not apply to anyone who currently is CP as the rules are written and is explained in the FAQ.
Old Jul 7, 10, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
This promotion does not apply to anyone who currently is CP as the rules are written and is explained in the FAQ.
So your definition of "Pre-offer Preferred status" (which is the term used by the promo--not "current" status) is the status earned as of last year, which means that someone who earned CP for 2010, but hasn't flown since January 1 gets bupkis even if s/he hits all 16 counts under this promo?

Or would said 2010 CP get CP again because his/her "Pre-offer Preferred status" was actually non-status (by virtue of no 2010 flights), even though s/he is a "current" CP?
Old Jul 7, 10, 11:57 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Gold
If I am reading this right a CLT-BTR-CLT flight will count 3 times, North America east hop, N.A. west hop & Charlotte to Baton Rouge jump. A CLT-MLB will count as the Charlotte to Melbourne jump and also get you Space Coast 1000 bonus miles promo.
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:10 am

Programs: US GP, UA Prem Exec, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,
Way too cutesy!

Somebody got way too carried away with the rules on this one. I've seen more clear instructions from games my four-year old made up!
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:31 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
After reading through the thread, I am just as long as everyone else. What is really confusing me is the "pre-offer" status. What does that mean? Currently I am US Gold but have only flown 5k miles this year. If I fly 8 hop,skip and jumps, does that mean I am Chairman through Feb 2012? Or since I haven't really earned anything this year, I would only be Gold again?

Any help would be greatly apperciated.
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Found DCA-CLT-PVR-PHX-DCA which would get 3 hops (East, west, central america) and 1 jump (CLT-PVR) for $507 same day return. Now just need to get it cheaper.....
So that's 4 different items for $507. Seems reasonable for plats trying to get to CP.

Or just CLT-PVR-PHX-CLT would get 4 items. Not too shabby.

Last edited by johnep1; Jul 8, 10 at 1:14 am
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
This is wayyy too complicated!

"Hop, skip and jump" sound so simple in reality - indeed the expression denotes simplicity... yet this has to be the most complex and convoluted scheme I have ever read! I'm flummoxed and it's too much like hard work to work out how best to benefit.
Old Jul 8, 10, 12:58 am

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
This is wayyy too complicated!

"Hop, skip and jump" sound so simple in reality - indeed the expression denotes simplicity... yet this has to be the most complex and convoluted scheme I have ever read! I'm flummoxed and it's too much like hard work to work out how best to benefit.
yes, but they will fill up a lot of flights for these routes that they probably normally dont do
Old Jul 8, 10, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
One trip from MCI to PBG, with a Shuttle segment included (which several of the least expensive routing options include), will get me Gold Preferred through 2/29/12 ... I'll be all over that like stink on a monkey. Have to see if maybe I can work a CLT-BTR to be cheaper though with a Shuttle segment.

I think the FAQ's make it pretty clear how this promotion works, I really don't understand all the claims otherwise in this thread.

Where in the FAQ does it say anything about current CP?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: