Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Old Jul 7, 10, 5:46 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
This is a pretty good promo, especially for loyal members that got burned by the "silver trial" program.

But this seems easier than I think... which is why I'm confused haha

I'm close to *G which will be after my 2nd RT flight, so I anticipate that around late August, but I wonder if you get the "bump" right before you quality if they will automatically move you up, or if I complete 4 of these just prior to gold if I need to get the 25k miles to go to plat... hmmm
Old Jul 7, 10, 5:50 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
How does this affect current CPs? All you have to do is complete 4 hops and you are CP for another year?
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:19 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Seems like a pretty solid deal...lets try to figure out what the cheapest routes will be for 4, 8, 12 & 16 of these.

Last edited by johndeere19; Jul 7, 10 at 6:21 pm Reason: edited
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by chris4096 View Post
How does this affect current CPs? All you have to do is complete 4 hops and you are CP for another year?
It's quite confusing. They use the undefined term "pre-offer Preferred status," which could mean the status that you had earned for the 2011 program year prior to the start of the promotion. So if you were at 24,999 miles on 7/6/10, you would still need 16 counts to hit CP under that definition.
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration View Post
actually it says travel must be booked for travel between 7/7 and 10/10
so I think pre-existing reservations count

There's no registration. Just buy your tickets and travel between July 7, 2010 and October 10, 2010
I belleive it's distributive. Buy your tickets and travel 7/7-10/10 = (buy your tickets 7/7-10/10) AND (travel 7/7-10/10)

So existing reservations don't count.

It appears that a quick PIT-DCA-BOS-PBG-(west)-PIT week will get me CP for 19 months? That's a very good deal, if true.
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So what is the timing?

On one page it says "Your new Preferred status will be good for the 2011 Preferred year, which ends February 29, 2012." - which I could infer means 1/1/11-2/29/12.

Elsewhere it says "We'll be updating daily, so once your qualifying flight activities post we'll update your status." and "Your new status will be good through the current program year, February 29, 2012. " - which I infer means it is effective as soon as your fourth segment posts. I would have thought the "current program year" is the, well, current year, which would end 2/28/11, but it then spells out 2012.

I just have this uncomfortable feeling that we'll hear "ooops, we meant 2/28/11, so sorry" - it sounds almost too good to be true.
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
So what is the timing?

On one page it says "Your new Preferred status will be good for the 2011 Preferred year, which ends February 29, 2012." - which I could infer means 1/1/11-2/29/12.

Elsewhere it says "We'll be updating daily, so once your qualifying flight activities post we'll update your status." and "Your new status will be good through the current program year, February 29, 2012. " - which I infer means it is effective as soon as your fourth segment posts. I would have thought the "current program year" is the, well, current year, which would end 2/28/11, but it then spells out 2012.

I just have this uncomfortable feeling that we'll hear "ooops, we meant 2/28/11, so sorry" - it sounds almost too good to be true.
I doubt they meant 2/28/11. If so, USAir's intern probably would have typed 2/28/12, but since they figured in leap day, I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing.
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
It appears that a quick PIT-DCA-BOS-PBG-(west)-PIT week will get me CP for 19 months? That's a very good deal, if true.
this seems a bit to easy to be honest if so. if thats the case, would be cool to get a few threads going with cheap routes for the most jumps in.

here are some pretty good deals to get the h/s/j done: http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...r/Default.aspx

edit: it also looks like you can only do the hop ONCE, so this would require some flying out of the US to get to the 4 and you really have to do some work for the 8 and 12 ones
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:38 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
This promo is really complicated!

At first I was kinda peeved that #1 it looks like travel booked before the promo doesn't count, and I'm scheduled solid through to November and #2 this has the potential to create *tons* of CP's which I think dilutes the DM program for everyone. After reading a little more closely, it looks like you can only count each route once or each region once, so it's going to take a little work to get the various levels for status. So I'm not as annoyed, although I really wish US would do away with the cryptic promos like this and the Grand Slam. It's just too much like work.
Old Jul 7, 10, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti View Post
This promo is really complicated!

At first I was kinda peeved that #1 it looks like travel booked before the promo doesn't count, and I'm scheduled solid through to November and #2 this has the potential to create *tons* of CP's which I think dilutes the DM program for everyone. After reading a little more closely, it looks like you can only count each route once or each region once, so it's going to take a little work to get the various levels for status. So I'm not as annoyed, although I really wish US would do away with the cryptic promos like this and the Grand Slam. It's just too much like work.
that was probably their thought was to confuse people and have them buy the same flight 4x hoping to get bumped up.

seems like they will count a single hop flight and then you get one east coast flight, one west coast one, etc. doesnt seem all that difficult to get the single upgrade as you just need one flight form CLT/PHL/PHX and your good.

IMO, id book individual trips and not try to do it all on a single itinerary
Old Jul 7, 10, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by DCAorBust View Post
It's quite confusing. They use the undefined term "pre-offer Preferred status," which could mean the status that you had earned for the 2011 program year prior to the start of the promotion. So if you were at 24,999 miles on 7/6/10, you would still need 16 counts to hit CP under that definition.
This is very confusing...I have a flight in two weeks that will pull me up to silver and would definitely hop on this and shoot for the 12 segments to go for cp, but if I have to do 16, I don't think I'll be going for it. Can anyone decipher this or clarify?
Old Jul 7, 10, 7:22 pm

Can anybody figure out what happens after the promotion...i.e. you hit platinum with 0 EQMs before, if you get 25k EQMs in the remainder of the year, do you get bumped up to CP. Or, if you reach gold and hit enough EQMs after the promo ends to hit gold and get 8 of these, do you become CP? It definitely looks like they should compound, but it doesn't clarify it anywhere.
Old Jul 7, 10, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Found DCA-CLT-PVR-PHX-DCA which would get 3 hops (East, west, central america) and 1 jump (CLT-PVR) for $507 same day return. Now just need to get it cheaper.....
Old Jul 7, 10, 7:33 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
You can only do a particular hop, skip or jump once. You can only do one Caribbean, one shuttle, one NA West, one NA East etc. ... .
HOWEVER, one flight segment may wear two hats. See the T&C FAQ page , http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/FAQs..._jump_faq.html, as quoted above,
"Can a single flight count for multiple hops, skips or jumps?
-- Yes, a number of flights can have multiple counts. For example, Charlotte to Puerto Vallarta counts for a North America, east hop and a Mexico/Central America hop and a Charlotte to Puerto Vallarta jump. Boston to New York La Guardia counts as both a North America, east hop and a Shuttle skip."

They also have a set of examples on that page.
Old Jul 7, 10, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Found DCA-CLT-PVR-PHX-DCA which would get 3 hops (East, west, central america) and 1 jump (CLT-PVR) for $507 same day return. Now just need to get it cheaper.....
if you normally dont fly a lot and want the deal, its pretty good. otherwise the $200 trials seem pretty decent if you can put on 7.5k/15k/22.5k in 90 days.

trying to plan a flight to Italy in fall, this just falls right outside of when I was going

Search this Thread
Search Engine: