Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:31 am

So would this count as four? A bit confused by it all.

DCA-LGA (shuttle)
LGA-CLT (east)
CLT-BTR (new route)
BTR-CLT- (west)

?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by hoya2lane
So would this count as four? A bit confused by it all.

DCA-LGA (shuttle)
LGA-CLT (east)
CLT-BTR (new route)
BTR-CLT- (west)
Yes, but it would count slightly differently:

DCA-LGA (Shuttle AND East hop)
LGA-CLT (nothing, you already got the east hop)
CLT-BTR (new route jump, West hop)
BTR-CLT (nothing, you already got the new route and west hop)

In the FAQ it confirms a single segment can count for more than one hop, skip and jump. So CLT-FCO would get East, Europe and new route all at once. Start from BTR and you've got all 4 of your first hits in a one way route.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
How to factor in cpm into the hsj...

Of course we can't be as strict with our cpm on these runs because we have to factor in the value of the elite status bump. SO, I have a few questions as to how worthwhile each of my two options are.

Option 1:
I already have a free (paid by friend) PHL-TLV which takes care of N.A. EAST and MiddleEast. So, I'd only need a quick "2-pointer" to put me at SP (I'm dirt right now). The cheapest I'm finding is PHL-CLT-BTR-CLT-PHL for 328ai, which would give me the 2 I need - WEST and NEW ROUTE. All in all, this would cost me $328 and net me 2246(BTR)+1152(TLV) miles+SP through next year.

Option 2:
Is it worth it for me to go for 8 and hit GP (I'm fairly sure I will be able to hit it consistently starting next year with a new job). This option, would add the following onto option one...
PHL-CLT-PVR-CLT-PHL ($629/4458mi) - MEXICO, NEW ROUTE (2)
PHL-BOS-PBG-BOS-LGA-PHL ($483/962mi) - SHUTTLE, NEW ROUTE (2)
PHL-MBJ-PHL ($378/2980mi) - This would replace the BTR route in option one, to save on cpm.

Overall, option two costs me a lot more ($1502) and give me 19,920mi for a 7.5cpm.

The question is: Is it worth the extra money/time to get to GP? That's what it comes down to. Starting Jan '11 - like I said - I'll be in a new position that could see me with 40-60k bis miles, so chances are I could retain GP steadily for a few years.

What do you guys think...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ariyo15
I already have a free (paid by friend) PHL-TLV which takes care of N.A. EAST and MiddleEast.
Was the ticket purchase July 7th or later? If not, it isn't supposed to count. US messes that up occasionally and counts things purchased prior to the start of the promotion even when they aren't supposed to, but you can't count on it.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I'm going to hold out for more e-saver options.
One thing I am considering... If you're going to pickup an east coast hop anyway through the regular course of travel, there is fairly good e-saver right now, that will get you Mexico hop and new-route jump.

PHX-PVR is $150 each way. W/ tax it comes in at ~$400. This will give you your west coast hop, Mexico hop and, new route jump. Add that to the east coast jump you presumably would have got anyway, and you're there for about $400.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by treznor
Was the ticket purchase July 7th or later? If not, it isn't supposed to count. US messes that up occasionally and counts things purchased prior to the start of the promotion even when they aren't supposed to, but you can't count on it.
Actually, it's being purchased in two days. Hah
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: US Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
This promotion is so confusing. According to their website:

"4 to 7 hops, skips, and jumps will move your pre-offer Preferred status up one level."

What do they mean by pre-offer Preferred status? Let's say I'm gold this year but only have 45k eqm so far this year. Is my pre-offer status gold or is it silver? Will 4 hops,etc. bring me up to gold or bring me up to platinum?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Flying Gator
Will 4 hops,etc. bring me up to gold or bring me up to platinum?
Platinum
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: US Gold, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Read the thread. I asked this same question. No definitive answer. And unless the price went up, a weekend trip is $514 all in and can be done for up to $20 less if you incorporate a Monday.

I'm going to hold out for more e-saver options. If I were in ORD I'd to the PVR run. I haven't given up the possibility of a mileage run / short trip to FCO either, possibly in early October just before this promo ends.
Still at $514 this morning, which is about $75-$100 more than I wanted to fork out on it, but I may end up having it be my early Xmas present to myself.

I'm right there with you guys, give me a PHX loop and the right price, I'm flyin'.

Last edited by tovaz; Jul 9, 2010 at 8:53 am
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by el_jefe
One thing I am considering... If you're going to pickup an east coast hop anyway through the regular course of travel, there is fairly good e-saver right now, that will get you Mexico hop and new-route jump.

PHX-PVR is $150 each way. W/ tax it comes in at ~$400. This will give you your west coast hop, Mexico hop and, new route jump. Add that to the east coast jump you presumably would have got anyway, and you're there for about $400.
I'd jump all over this one, too, unfortunately, only the CLT-PVR new route qualifies as a jump, the previously existing PHX-PVR gets you the two hops only. Am I the only one seeing rabbits with airport codes tattooed to their haunches about now?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:50 am

Just a reminder:

For all those going for the new route PVR/SJD-CLT, US is also offering a (2,500 paid coach ticket/5,000 paid first class) miles bonus for flying the route for the first time. It doesn't specify round-trip, so an outbound via PHX and return via CLT should still qualify you for the bonus miles for this promo.

http://shopping.usairways.com/promot...c=dm_txt_00942

-Kinglobjaw
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by tovaz
I'd jump all over this one, too, unfortunately, only the CLT-PVR new route qualifies as a jump, the previously existing PHX-PVR gets you the two hops only. Am I the only one seeing rabbits with airport codes tattooed to their haunches about now?
By going PHX-PVR-CLT-PHX you get 4 "credits" 3 hops for West, Central Am, East and 1 jump for PVR-CLT. A total of 4 and that moves you up one level of status.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
By going PHX-PVR-CLT-PHX you get 4 "credits" 3 hops for West, Central Am, East and 1 jump for PVR-CLT. A total of 4 and that moves you up one level of status.

-Kinglobjaw
I'm in total agreement on the concept, however, it's the cost of that PVR-CLT leg that has vapor locked my wallet. Right now, my "Fly 15 for 4" PHX-CLT-MBJ-PHX fandango for $514 is still leading the pack.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by tovaz
I'm in total agreement on the concept, however, it's the cost of that PVR-CLT leg that has vapor locked my wallet. Right now, my "Fly 15 for 4" PHX-CLT-MBJ-PHX fandango for $514 is still leading the pack.
I have been googling a lot on this trying to find more posted experiences of transiting MBJ but no luck. 95 minutes may be no problem but it may be severely pushing it and we just don't know!

PHX-CLT-BOS-PBG-BOS-DCA-PHX works for 4 (2 hops, 1 skip, 1 jump) as well if you stay overnight but the price is in the $700 range at best for weekends.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
I must be dense because I'm still not following. You're gold, you'd only be gold still when you cross 50K absent of any promo. So what's different if you've crossed 50K and only have 3 h/s/j's? One more h/s/j should still bump you to Platinum, right?
Based on how I am reading the promo if you are really close to the next preferred level you should try to qualify the old fashioned way instead of using the promo. Save the promo for after you move up to the next level.

So if you have say 47,000 miles you would be best to hit Gold first by getting to 50,000 and then use the promo to get easily to Platinum. Most likely you would just need 1 or 2 options to get to Platinum after you qualified for Gold.

I never take shuttle flights because I don't really need them for where I travel. For my travel in the coming months I should hit Platinum by the end of August with 75,000. Then if I take a shuttle trip I should be able to go up to CP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.